Replacement axle recommendations for M101A2

TRACTION

Adventurer
I'm in need of a replacement axle with electric brakes to replace the existing axle with surge brakes on my M101A2 trailer. I need one with an 8 lug to match my Dodge wheels so I can run stock 17" dodge wheels.

A local trailer supply store quoted me $675 for 6000lb electric brake axle with a 8x6.5 pattern.

Anyone have any recommendations of where to get a better price on the axle? Any other recommendations for the swap?

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
R and P Carriages
431 N Main Street
PO BOX 1252
Seneca, IL 61360

Questions? Phone number 815/357-3292,

One of my favorite ebay sellers, I bought several trailer items from Paul and they were fast to ship and fit right.

Abnengr

Electric brakes

The A2 trailers already have 8 lug wheels that make GM and some Dodges. Why not just remove the surge brakes and bolt on a new back plate for electric brakes. E-trailer sells them. The back plates are held on with 5 bolts. Simply swap. You can get the electric back plates with or without the parking brake.

brussum

Adventurer
The A2 trailers already have 8 lug wheels that make GM and some Dodges. Why not just remove the surge brakes and bolt on a new back plate for electric brakes. E-trailer sells them. The back plates are held on with 5 bolts. Simply swap. You can get the electric back plates with or without the parking brake.

I think that's the route I'm going. I thought I even saw electric brake setups that still use the parking brake feature, but I couldn't find them last night on etrailer. At $120 per back plate, it's a cheaper option than a full axle swap. I just need a Mark Hurley hitch makeover to get rid of the surge setup.

Abnengr

I just read somewhere on Steel Soldiers about the electric break upgrade. I'll look for it. It was a Dexter 6000lb axle brake assembly but etrailer may not list it.

upcountry

Explorer
Southwest wheel or abc trailer parts. I ordered mine from southwest wheel. Shipping for my 3500#er was 90$. I am also in Puget Sound area.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
I used a 3500# axle but it was 3" DIA....so it was a DIRECT BOLT UP...everything was reusable (I didn't order a handbrake)

Redneck Trailer Supply...around $350.00 or so

I do believe the 3" diameter jumps the axle up a weight class.

TRACTION

Adventurer

That's what I was thinking originally but couldn't find any reliable information whether it was possible or not. Is it that simple? Mind pointing me to the specific parts you're referring to? I checked out etrailer and wasn't exactly sure what I was looking for.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
If the drum is a 12" It looks like a 5 bolt backing plate should work.
as long as the shoes ride correctly inside the original drum.

I never measured mine before I sold them.

Attachments

• DSC04866.JPG
    DSC04866.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC05012.JPG
    DSC05012.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 62

Juanblzer

Observer
That's what I was thinking originally but couldn't find any reliable information whether it was possible or not. Is it that simple? Mind pointing me to the specific parts you're referring to? I checked out etrailer and wasn't exactly sure what I was looking for.
ever get some part numbers for this? I'm looking but I dont know what to order:(

R and P Carriages
431 N Main Street
PO BOX 1252
Seneca, IL 61360

Questions? Phone number 815/357-3292,

One of my favorite ebay sellers, I bought several trailer items from Paul and they were fast to ship and fit right.

I did this, and yes, it was an excellent experience

Straight 3500#
60" hub to hub
43.25" spring center
Electric Brakes
Straight EZ Lube Spindle
6x139.7 or 6x5.5 bolt pattern
Spring Pads on top for 2" Springs
3" Tube Upgrade
Manual Parking Brakes
Inboard Shock Mounts

Base Axle:
Axle (109) + Brakes (148) = Base Axle ($257)
Options:
Axle (257) + 3" Tube (20) + Manual Brakes (40) + Shock Mounts (10) = Complete Axle ($327)

The shock mounts ended up not working out, we lost that in translation, so I cut off the stock mounts and used those.

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
I just did my M101A3 axle and kept the parking brake...

IMG_3504.JPG

IMG_3503.JPG

You have to do some cutting/fabbing to the parking cable in order for it to work, though.

IMG_3509.JPG

I have to look up the part number....
EDIT....E-Trailer's numbers
brakes/backing plates w/parking brake....23-112-113
seals....RG06-070

Last edited:

Buffalobwana

Observer
Ironically, just last night I was looking for options on what to do about my 101A2 brakes. You have given me some excellent info.

You don’t happen to have the bearing part numbers do you?

Is that a new parking brake cable? Mine were cut. I’ll have to source new cables. Thanks for the post. The ‘net is skinny on info about replacement electric brakes for 101A2 or 3 stock axles except for this and a post I started on steel soldiers about this topic.

I have 4 101A2’s that I am rebuilding. Thanks for the post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles