Research/ Experience &Concern about Trailer Manufacturer Response

brandon12777

One point on Patriot Trailers- their quality looks awesome. Definitely in the top 3 here in the US. That stated $50k plus for a hauling trailer and tent is just outrageous. If I'm missing something about them I'm open to correction

For me it came down to where and the way my family likes to camp, the quality and completeness of the design, and small/robust enough to go anywhere my truck/land cruiser can go. Certainly not for everyone and there is some good American companies in the same space as Patriot but for me they are the best by a comfortable margin. For that of course you do pay.

Edit: Also with your thoughts on a company's response and customer service, Patriot (Exploration Outfitters) is over the top good and when I am spending $$ that's what I want to gain my trust.

jd1zzle

We ordered an Escapade Backcountry (www.escapadecampers.com) for pickup in July. We were able to see one here that someone else bought recently. Build quality is top notch and price is great, and leaves room for customization.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

waveone

It's easy to do isn't it? Thinking inside the box, instead of outside for simpler solutions. However I'm thinking along the lines of a comprehensive list of things I consider necessary from my time in the field. I hunt hard in rough country, so my nights and time in camp should be in relative comfort and convenience. That goes for a set up that shouldn't take more than an 45minutes -hour with break down no longer than about twice that or less. Then there I resale- if necessary.

Your points are well taken though. In fact it may be that I seek a hybrid solution of sorts where the trailer shell is built and equipment ready so to speak. Although at the end of the day a warm, dry hard shell out of the wind, snow and rain beats the wall tents and drafty, leaking pop- up campers I've hunted out of.

In any case there is much more research and fewer choices based on my preferences than I imagined.

waveone

For me it came down to where and the way my family likes to camp, the quality and completeness of the design, and small/robust enough to go anywhere my truck/land cruiser can go. Certainly not for everyone and there is some good American companies in the same space as Patriot but for me they are the best by a comfortable margin. For that of course you do pay.

Edit: Also with your thoughts on a company's response and customer service, Patriot (Exploration Outfitters) is over the top good and when I am spending $$ that's what I want to gain my trust.

Exactly right. When paying $$$ a prompt response and over the top service is vital to gain my trust too. Without question my friend.

jays0n

Adventurer
It's crazy to me that so many of the folks that are new to overlanding all seem to be looking for an expedition trailer that will take any abuse you give it, sleeps tons of people, has every amenity you have in your home, generators, internet connections, cable TV, the ability to cross any terrain you can imagine, ability to carry infinite amounts of fuel and water, have furnaces and AC, are built to never have a single issue, have customer support asking "how high" when you say "JUMP" and all for "cheap". I have close to $10k in my outfitted DIY off road RTT trailer and if I were to look at a commercially built trailer I would expect to pay much more than that and I know that I would have to settle on some aspects of it being the way they are and not necessary the way i want them. On top of that, the overlanding industry (if you can call it that) is newer in this country and I'd be cautious to invest in a product made here in the US as the companies don't have a lot of history and could just vanish, like so many of them have.

Just to remind you, the sticker price on a loaded, diesel, dually pickup for towing an RV is now north of $100k. EVERYTHING is EXPENSIVE now and most things are built so cheaply they don't last. If there is a trailer out there that matches those requirements (not sure those fit with the true spirit of overlanding but that's for another discussion) it's gonna cost you or you have to build it yourself, end of story and my $0.02.

john61ct

Adventurer
I think the expectation that good build quality and excellent customer service can come cheap, is indeed unrealistic in such a low-volume niche market.

But the real frustration AFAICT comes from the lack of either, even when paying through the nose.

I think the US RV industry has set the tone, and obviously adding the "off-road-tough" requirement will challenge it at both ends, too high a price for what the market will bear, and still too low a build quality.

That's why self-import and/or DIY are I think the better paths forward.

waveone

It's crazy to me that so many of the folks that are new to overlanding all seem to be looking for an expedition trailer that will take any abuse you give it, sleeps tons of people, has every amenity you have in your home, generators, internet connections, cable TV, the ability to cross any terrain you can imagine, ability to carry infinite amounts of fuel and water, have furnaces and AC, are built to never have a single issue, have customer support asking "how high" when you say "JUMP" and all for "cheap". I have close to $10k in my outfitted DIY off road RTT trailer and if I were to look at a commercially built trailer I would expect to pay much more than that and I know that I would have to settle on some aspects of it being the way they are and not necessary the way i want them. On top of that, the overlanding industry (if you can call it that) is newer in this country and I'd be cautious to invest in a product made here in the US as the companies don't have a lot of history and could just vanish, like so many of them have.

Just to remind you, the sticker price on a loaded, diesel, dually pickup for towing an RV is now north of $100k. EVERYTHING is EXPENSIVE now and most things are built so cheaply they don't last. If there is a trailer out there that matches those requirements (not sure those fit with the true spirit of overlanding but that's for another discussion) it's gonna cost you or you have to build it yourself, end of story and my $0.02.

Speaking only for myself, I don't require all of those things, just many of them. Yet my expectation is also grounded in reality. Nothing of what I describe as part of my expected equipment load- out on a trailer is cheap. Not one trailer I've seen with any semblance of those things has come cheap. I do expect reasonable response and absolute top notch service with infrastructure to address problems if necessary. Ask a lot, expect a lot.

Got the towing vehicle btw....

Last edited:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I think the US RV industry has set the tone

It certainly has, but to be fare, it has for a very good reason.

Most Americans refuse to spend real money on something even remotely quality,
only to barely use the thing. RVs are designed and built around this premise.
If they were not, the industry wouldn't even exist.

Afterall, if the buyer cannot afford to buy them, the MFG cannot afford to build them.

And really, the "expo" scene isn't too dissimilar.

It might be slightly more refined, certainly more concerned about the "swiss army" features....
Buts its the same game.

If the buyer cannot afford them, the MFG cannot afford to build them.
The industry being so niche, the MFG responds, cutting where they can to move units all the while maintain profitability.
The result is typically evident in quality and/or service... pushing the product right back towards a "RV"

And even if they sell a few units or a few thousand units, the likelihood of the setup being parked more often than used,
then sold for a loss, is very high. Oh so common....

Waygoner

Observer
We ordered an Escapade Backcountry (www.escapadecampers.com) for pickup in July. We were able to see one here that someone else bought recently. Build quality is top notch and price is great, and leaves room for customization.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting that. That's a manufacturer I was unfamiliar with. Please start a thread when you get your new camper. Looks like a lot of bang for your buck.

waveone

Also take a look at Overkill. They are now just getting their website up.

https://overkillcampers.com/

Thanks for the link, this got my attention. Infrastructure customer service and customer experience is important with any manufacturer. What I'm learning is, there are a lot of "companies" coming up that offer a variety of things and exhibit much ability without the infrastructure or ability to deliver them. Whenever someone posts a company and / or model, the experience with that company should be posted too.. I'm seeing several threads where the latest/greatest manufacturer ultimately filed bankruptcy or simply disappeared and took a lot of people for a long ride.....

Still love to hear why Conqueror is not preferable over say Patriot and especially VMI. Personally speaking VMI was very difficult to get in touch with, did not communicate well, and frankly gave me pause, For example to date, their website states one price here:

http://www.vmioffroad.com/products/xtender-adventure-offroad-trailers/xtender-alpine.html which is shown at @ $39, 9995.00 but now is @ $80K. The only caviat is as follows:

NOTE: The photos/images provided below feature the quality construction of every VMI Offroad trailer. Layouts, features and upgrades shown may be at additional costs above base model pricing

yet the owner stated to me over the phone that the same model has been "upgraded" with now standard features then conveyed to me in email

"Over the years we never sold a stock Alpine all of them were significantly upgraded so this year we decided to set the trailers up right out of the shop doors with all the features and components that allow them to perform at their peak"

which have in effect doubled their price. Yet again the website still posts the same standard prices from what appears to be last June. Allowing a trailer/camper to perform at their peak should be defined in many regards by customer and manufacturer according to customer preference , needs and budget. That line Is a bit condescending and sounds like a hard sale pitch.

To me, while it is their business to educate and steer their customers toward upgrades, in the end the customer should have the final say on what suits them. I was only left with questions after the difficult communications ,mixed signals concerning models, and standard features vs upgrades. All of which now appear to be "Standard".

Last edited:

waveone

I did the same thing. Contacted VMI looking for more info on the 39k trailer and was treated to an 80k price tag.

Indeed, that's a fact. Although to be specific it is actually $89,995.00...LOL. At any cost....... that's his business on how he wishes to market his product. That approach though sends mixed signals which can negatively influence customers by making them feel almost obligated to meet his standard- whatever that is now, instead of the other way around. If that works for him- great! It just does not work for me.

john61ct

Adventurer
A small business strapped for cash flow's best strategy for survival is "skimming the cream", filling its capacity pipeline with customers that are not price sensitive.

Therefore with limited Sales / MarkComm resources, best to quickly filter the rest out of your Prospects Funnel as early in the process as possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles