Reversing Synthetic Winch Rope

jet noise

Observer
My synthetic rope is a couple of years old now. Even though I've read that Amsteel Blue is UV stable, I've kept it covered and protected from UV. But, the top wraps and the end where it goes thru the thimble have faded. I'm still confident in the rope, but I'm thinking about swapping ends by splicing the thimble into the other end and burying the faded end. While I'm at it, I'll do a Beowulf Lock on the first wrap.
The only thing I'm concerned about, is the base end has been flattened by being under constant tension. Has anyone done this? I just want to keep my rope serviceable for as long as possible since it's expensive to replace!

Eventhough

Explorer
I wouldn't sweat it and would run it as it is. But - if you want to turn your line around that is fine. Inspect your drum end to make sure it is not damaged. The flat nature, as you pointed out, is from being under tension. It looks like you properly spooled your line under tension! To make splicing easier work the flat areas between your hands to loosen them up and let the line go back more to a new/circular state. Make sure your new splice is set well before use.

jet noise

Observer
Cool thanks for the reply. Now that I've got the line removed, it is pretty dirty. I wonder if it would do any harm to throw it in a washing machine?

Eventhough

Explorer
Cool thanks for the reply. Now that I've got the line removed, it is pretty dirty. I wonder if it would do any harm to throw it in a washing machine?

Probably not - BUT - the better bet is to put it in a 5 gallon bucket of water. Warm water is better, agitate it with your hands a bit to get the easy to remove dirt off, replace the water, then pinch the line about two inches apart between your fingers and push towards each other to open up the weave, shake around, repeat for the full length of the line, replace water for a rinse and you are Good to Go! (that is a little over kill, but if you are at it you might as well knock it out of the park)

If you were to put the line in the washing machine you stand a chance of pulling one of the 12 strands in the weave and creating a nightmare to straighten everything out.

mowerman

Adventurer

in the UK many of my mates wash it in the washing machine - put it in a pair of tights (pantyhose?) with the hook and thimble in an old training shoe.
it works very well.

jet noise

Observer
That's kinda what I ended up doing. I brought the bucket out, but then decided to throw the rope in a mesh bag and run it through the washing machine. It came out great. Now my rope is happy again!

Eventhough

Explorer
That's kinda what I ended up doing. I brought the bucket out, but then decided to throw the rope in a mesh bag and run it through the washing machine. It came out great. Now my rope is happy again!

Check to make sure grit came out from between the 12 strands. Pinching and working the line with your fingers is why you do that. I don't know how a washing machine can get the 12 strands open well enough to flush out that grit. :sombrero:

jet noise

Observer
Check to make sure grit came out from between the 12 strands. Pinching and working the line with your fingers is why you do that. I don't know how a washing machine can get the 12 strands open well enough to flush out that grit. :sombrero:
I massaged from end to end by opening it up and flexing it in all directions. I decided to keep my ends where they were, since there was a little hard crust on the first wrap on the drum. I don't know if my drum is getting hot or if they are just permanently flattened on that wrap. Either way, I don't think I had so much dirt impacted in the rope that it got inside the core. The innards were pretty clean :)

mowerman

Adventurer
I think they just get flattened by the wrapping - I usually staighten mine by unwinding it and just breifly winching off something, but it doesnt last long so i don't bother often

Eventhough

Explorer
I massaged from end to end by opening it up and flexing it in all directions. I decided to keep my ends where they were, since there was a little hard crust on the first wrap on the drum. I don't know if my drum is getting hot or if they are just permanently flattened on that wrap. Either way, I don't think I had so much dirt impacted in the rope that it got inside the core. The innards were pretty clean :)

I think they just get flattened by the wrapping - I usually staighten mine by unwinding it and just breifly winching off something, but it doesnt last long so i don't bother often

The flattening is from pressure. Synthetic line is very flexible so it will become 'angular' in shape to deal with the load instead of keeping it's circular shape. Many look at syn line that has been used and think it has melted when most often it has not. You can almost always work the 'melted' parts between your fingers and see the fibers separate like they should. That is how you can tell it is not melted. Now if it is truly melted then you need to scrap that part. A winch drum with an internal brake can heat up synthetic line but that really is only a problem if you are spooling out under load (imagine lowering someone down a hill).

Master-Pull

Supporting Sponsor

Yup, that's how we do it up here.

Amsteel flattens out pretty good on the drum under load. It doesn't affect the strength of it at all, but it does look a little odd.

Also, Amsteel and Master Pull ropes purchased through Master Pull have a sleeve that goes on the initial wrap to protect the line from the heat of an internal brake.

Thanks,
Daren

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
in the UK many of my mates wash it in the washing machine - put it in a pair of tights (pantyhose?) with the hook and thimble in an old training shoe.
it works very well.

There are also washer bags for 'delicates' that work well. Though if you have a spouse/significant other that uses them I recommend getting one of your own for your rope instead of using theirs. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior