Review of the Freespirit Recreation High Country Tri-Layer Roof Top Tent

We have the big Baroud currently, but with my little guy growing it's getting pretty tight for the 3 of us - especially given wifey is a side-sleeper, 3-pillow-minimum kind of gal. I love how fast it sets up and goes down, but I think we're at the point either next year or the year after we need to go bigger.

If I had to buy a bigger tent right now, I'd struggle to choose between this and the iKamper - although from your photos, it looks like the Freespirit has better build quality than the iKamper.

How much bedding - if any - can you leave in this Freespirit when you fold it up?

asanto

I have a 55" high country tent I've had for a few years now and absolutely love it. I went on a winter camping trip in the sierras last winter in 15-20 degree weather and slept like a log, read warm and comfortable. I also have the tri-layer removable walls and a zero degree sleeping bag.

Cons
You have to climb up and down it a bit to close it. I don't think there's a ton of room for bedding, maybe a sheet, but otherwise can't really leave pillows or bedding. And finally, this style of tent takes up the whole roof rack space and you lose your accessories and ability to haul other stuff on the roof (boards, bikes, etc.

I'm thinking about getting a trailer that can hold the tent and other stuff (kayaks, surfboards, etc.). If they made this tent in a hard shell version that would be amazing. I am a big guy 6'3 240 and this is one of the few tents that I can sleep in comfortably with my partner.

I don't think there is a perfect setup, everything has tradeoffs. This is a great tent overall.

roving1

I have seen several free spirit models on the Coyote Works YT channel. I am always in awe of how fast it packs up and seems to have solved most of the things I hate about my CVT. Nice to see another review.

I am at a cross roads of either modding my tent to make it easier to use. Ditching it and buying another or saving and waiting to buy a wedge camper top. I can't decide.

SummitBound

They just came out with a 63" tent, which should fit on my shortbed tacoma with bed bars and only overhang off the back an inch or two.

Really thinking about pulling the trigger on it.

As reviews like this are hard to find, just wanted to check in with those of you that own an FSR high country tent. How is it still holding up? Curious to see how the tri-layer does in the hotter weather. I am sure it is fine if you have the windows open, but what about if it is raining and you need them closed?

Thanks!

asanto

They just came out with a 63" tent, which should fit on my shortbed tacoma with bed bars and only overhang off the back an inch or two.

Really thinking about pulling the trigger on it.

As reviews like this are hard to find, just wanted to check in with those of you that own an FSR high country tent. How is it still holding up? Curious to see how the tri-layer does in the hotter weather. I am sure it is fine if you have the windows open, but what about if it is raining and you need them closed?

Thanks!
I posted earlier as an owner of the 55" w removable tri-layer walls. I haven't camped in warm weather in it just yet, will update when I do, but in my case I can remove the tri-layer. I'm actually looking at getting a 63" high country premium which comes with the tri-layer. I'm still a big fan, just want a bigger tent as I'm XL size at 6'3/240 -- with my lady the extra room is nice.

KarlG

I have a 55" high country tent I've had for a few years now and absolutely love it. I went on a winter camping trip in the sierras last winter in 15-20 degree weather and slept like a log, read warm and comfortable. I also have the tri-layer removable walls and a zero degree sleeping bag.

Cons
You have to climb up and down it a bit to close it. I don't think there's a ton of room for bedding, maybe a sheet, but otherwise can't really leave pillows or bedding. And finally, this style of tent takes up the whole roof rack space and you lose your accessories and ability to haul other stuff on the roof (boards, bikes, etc.

I'm thinking about getting a trailer that can hold the tent and other stuff (kayaks, surfboards, etc.). If they made this tent in a hard shell version that would be amazing. I am a big guy 6'3 240 and this is one of the few tents that I can sleep in comfortably with my partner.

I don't think there is a perfect setup, everything has tradeoffs. This is a great tent overall.
So you have the non tri layer version? How has that been holding up in the extremes ? Any condensation on the upper part of the tent ? I’m interested specifically in this tents purely polyester materials performance versus the poly/cotton blend so many others use. Does your standard 55 have a trilayer cieling? It kind of looks that way in pictures.

asanto

So you have the non tri layer version? How has that been holding up in the extremes ? Any condensation on the upper part of the tent ? I’m interested specifically in this tents purely polyester materials performance versus the poly/cotton blend so many others use. Does your standard 55 have a trilayer cieling? It kind of looks that way in pictures.
I have the non tri layer version w the tri layer insert lining which i can remove. So yes,
a standard 55 w trilayer ceiling. The standard tent i felt was fine down to 50 degrees, but below 40 it got a little cold for us. With the tri layer lining cold has not been a factor and ive camped in 15 degree weather in Tahoe. There is quite a bit of condensation, less of course if you vent the windows, but this is pretty normal for these types of tents IMO. I also find it dries out quickly once you open up the windows as the big windows have good airflow.

Haven't camped in super warm weather w the tri layer lining, but it's warm and would likely need to come off then. I do not own the high country premium so can't comment on that one. Its my favorite of this style of tent by far for overall comfort and roominess. I would get the trilayer lining if you plan to camp in extreme cold or warm weather.

I would think the pure poly would do better in the heat keeping you cool and the trilayer is really great for warmth when you need it. Lots of condensation as is typical for these tents, but if you open the windows might be ok. I'd say expect the usual in terms of condensation. Overall, great tent. If i had to pick again, i'd get another one for sure, although probably go w the premium to avoid swapping out lining and reclaim some of the ceiling height lost adding the liner. It's not enough to have me go buy a premium, but i do like the cleaner look of the new hc premium.thay said, Very happy w my standard w tri layer ceiling after 3 years now.

mooktotter

I got a 80” high country with removable Rei layer lining. The first night we had rain and the non-entry side completely soaked through. I had standing water inside the tent. I don’t know if the 80” model suffers from things the smaller ones do not but it is just a big uncovered piece of tent whereas the rest of the walls have a fly over them or a vertical surface. Has no one else had this glaring problem?!?! Also the top/middle bay between poles ponded with water so badly that the weight of the water was showing through the interior lining... I took off the fly and reattached everything while it was warm to get things bone dry again and hoped it was a set up issue from the factory but the next night the exact same thing happened... water in the tent, soaked sleeping bags and clothes, ponding on the roof, miserable. Other than those unavoidable flaws the tent is huge, easy to set up, and has incredible ventilation and views. Super great design minus not being able to weather a storm!

KarlG

I got a 80” high country with removable Rei layer lining. The first night we had rain and the non-entry side completely soaked through. I had standing water inside the tent. I don’t know if the 80” model suffers from things the smaller ones do not but it is just a big uncovered piece of tent whereas the rest of the walls have a fly over them or a vertical surface. Has no one else had this glaring problem?!?! Also the top/middle bay between poles ponded with water so badly that the weight of the water was showing through the interior lining... I took off the fly and reattached everything while it was warm to get things bone dry again and hoped it was a set up issue from the factory but the next night the exact same thing happened... water in the tent, soaked sleeping bags and clothes, ponding on the roof, miserable. Other than those unavoidable flaws the tent is huge, easy to set up, and has incredible ventilation and views. Super great design minus not being able to weather a storm!
Have you reached out to fsr by any chance ? I wonder if they’d supply a useful response?

BorealOverland

Awesome looking tent!!
I have the Europe Version made by SHEEPIE
It’s called the YUNA and is basically the same tent but from a different brand.
(All made in Asia btw..)
I bought the detachable inner thermo tent with it.
Two years ago they only sold blue ones and hated it but still loved the design and bought it anyway.
Now they are coming out with a cooler looking black edition so I might trade in the blue outer shell and buy the black one..

Anyways.. I love it and hope it serves you well for the coming years!!

stay safe,
Steve.

bluerooster02

Does anyone have any complaints about the framework base instead of a solid one like other manufacturers? That's the one concern my wife is having, she doesn't want to feel each of the supports while she sleeps.

I just received an FSR Adventure 55 Manual. Tent is ok, cheap fittings (one came broken), missing a needed cover strap, badly dented in shipping. FSR would not help at all with dent that occurred in shipping. Offered to sell me new frame for $450 plus shipping. Would stay away from this company.

Attachments

• 7A433BE0-3878-42A3-BDB8-94681CFE76A7.jpeg
    7A433BE0-3878-42A3-BDB8-94681CFE76A7.jpeg
    728.3 KB · Views: 15
  • A6E03A6A-65A7-4869-88EE-BABDAA8FCA98.jpeg
    A6E03A6A-65A7-4869-88EE-BABDAA8FCA98.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 15
  • 7BA6C4C5-2CBC-48D7-AC60-8D8949FA2C59.jpeg
    7BA6C4C5-2CBC-48D7-AC60-8D8949FA2C59.jpeg
    574.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 2D6929AF-8BC4-4010-8CC4-ABC3704D2873.jpeg
    2D6929AF-8BC4-4010-8CC4-ABC3704D2873.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
  • D56E069D-1EAF-42CF-8A7F-915906E13B63.jpeg
    D56E069D-1EAF-42CF-8A7F-915906E13B63.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 13
  • EA197E58-B6D6-485C-9D4B-CCAC70DBAAEB.jpeg
    EA197E58-B6D6-485C-9D4B-CCAC70DBAAEB.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 15
Does anyone have any complaints about the framework base instead of a solid one like other manufacturers? That's the one concern my wife is having, she doesn't want to feel each of the supports while she sleeps.
No issues with the support slats as there is 3” high density foam under mattress, pretty comfortable. I am more concerned with the cover keeping rain out while driving, as no matter how good you get it on it is not fully sealed, and the foam floor is exposed… looks like it will get wet if bad rain. I would save up for a good hardshell. I will be using this summer and selling… will get hardshell tent from more reputable company with quality products.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz