Rhino-Rack BatWing Review/Write Up

yeos

Observer
Maybe with enough people relaying their concern to rhino rack USA about the water intrusion issue they may come out with a redesigned bag that's fully zippered.

Jerry2913

Thanks for the great info in this thread. Has anyone heard anymore about a solution to the moisture getting in the bag issue? Also - has anyone used the Batwing on a windy, sandy, beach? I like going oversand with my kids and this would be a great way to extend our day if it works well in sand. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

One more thought- Anyone got any leads on where to pick up one of these used- in case the moisture was deal breaker for someone and they decided to move on to something else? - looking for a deal. lol

My initial report from another thread:
My Batwing, also from ETrailer, arrived with the box beat up. The cover had a small tear at that end and the washer/nylon nut for the hinge bolt was not connected and floating around the box. Assuming the shipping companies will not improve I agree that a beefier box is called for. As for ETrailer, I received excellent service from them.

On another note, the awning snapped two of the Delrin hinges on its first desert deployment. No fault of the awning, a sudden 40+ mph gust before adequate staking caught everybody off guard. After getting help unwinding it off the top of my truck shell I packed it back in the bag. Rhino Rack includes two replacement hinge pieces so this is obviously nothing new. I’ll report back on the fix...when I finally get to it.

kdeleon

Observer
Maybe with enough people relaying their concern to rhino rack USA about the water intrusion issue they may come out with a redesigned bag that's fully zippered.
I am not even sure now if water is getting in solely thru that open end. It looks like it may be coming in from the cloth portion of the cover as well. I am hoping batwing will address the issue.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

yeos

Observer
I am not even sure now if water is getting in solely thru that open end. It looks like it may be coming in from the cloth portion of the cover as well. I am hoping batwing will address the issue.

I was thinking he same as well, but when water accumulates on the open end it runs down the legs and awning material and ends up all the way up front.

CodyMcD

Hey Guys, after speaking to Rhino-Rack USA in Denver Colorado they did inform me that new bags were designed to prevent water from leaking in. I would give them a shout and get yours! Best of Luck

rlynch356

Defyota
Thanks for the info on the bags.. its an issue..

A previous post asked about how it works on a windy sandy beach...

I have it mounted to an LR3 with a K9 rack.. using the K9/Ezi-awn brackets..

For stakes i am using the Long Blue screws (in OZ tent orange) from family tent camping..

Bummer it does not mate up to an RV5 which i have that was one of the reasons i got this one but haven tried it yet. I’ll give it a go soon when its back on the AT Horizon.

Sorry for the crappy pic, been on Ocracoke for a week.. the pic is from Portsmouth island nc, a few weeks ago..

In the wind you need 2 people to deploy it, and pre-do your screws.. only takes a minute but helps it you can keep it from flexing at the pivots..

6ab7dea8f0f6ab5baa6dd13105c7fede.jpg

Right now its rating would be a 5 out of 10.. its nice but not quality..

The ABS plastic main construction, and the plastic pivot joints are the main detractors.. its 1/2 or less the cost of an Alu-cab or Ezi-awn one though and for the trailer it does the job.
Just pack extra pivots.

I do like the fact that it is easy to tie down and has 4 legs.. i consider that a plus for real world usage.

Last edited:

kdeleon

Observer
Hey Guys, after speaking to Rhino-Rack USA in Denver Colorado they did inform me that new bags were designed to prevent water from leaking in. I would give them a shout and get yours! Best of Luck
Wait are you saying that the batwings come with new designed bags now, and i can get one now? That would be sweet.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I have the new Bat Wing mounted on my Tiger Moth trailer and I really like it . It is very fast to deploy with one person. This is on the Dalton Highway Alaska.

Attachments

• IMG_20180702_195122986_BURST000_COVER (2).jpg
    IMG_20180702_195122986_BURST000_COVER (2).jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 123
  • batwing.jpg
    batwing.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 127

kdeleon

Observer
Thanks for the info on the bags.. its an issue..

A previous post asked about how it works on a windy sandy beach...

I have it mounted to an LR3 with a K9 rack.. using the K9/Ezi-awn brackets..

For stakes i am using the Long Blue screws (in OZ tent orange) from family tent camping..

Bummer it does not mate up to an RV5 which i have that was one of the reasons i got this one but haven tried it yet. I’ll give it a go soon when its back on the AT Horizon.

Sorry for the crappy pic, been on Ocracoke for a week.. the pic is from Portsmouth island nc, a few weeks ago..

In the wind you need 2 people to deploy it, and pre-do your screws.. only takes a minute but helps it you can keep it from flexing at the pivots..

6ab7dea8f0f6ab5baa6dd13105c7fede.jpg

Right now its rating would be a 5 out of 10.. its nice but not quality..

The ABS plastic main construction, and the plastic pivot joints are the main detractors.. its 1/2 or less the cost of an Alu-cab or Ezi-awn one though and for the trailer it does the job.
Just pack extra pivots.

I do like the fact that it is easy to tie down and has 4 legs.. i consider that a plus for real world usage.

I've been gun shy recently with deploying the awning on windy situations. Does it hold up well (once tied-down well) deployed on the beach. In my case where I live, thunderstorms roll in middle of night which can bring in some wind gusts. I suppose it doesn't really take long to stow it back for the night but it still good to know for those times i get lazy.

I emailed Rhino-rack on Sunday to find out if new bags were out, or coming out, they have not responded yet.

Keep us posted!

rlynch356

Defyota
yes - with the Blue-screws fully buried i don't see a problem with it - in my picture they are only 1/2 way in and did fine with winds of 15-20 mph, we did not deploy it at higher winds days. Of course its going to depend on how you mount it and such like that. The plastic pivots are a weak point as i noted above.

Pappy

Question about the weight. I need to be able to take this thing on and off by myself. Is the documentation in metric or US? It just says "47.4" without scale. Is that KG or LB? 47kg would be around 100#.

CodyMcD

Wait are you saying that the batwings come with new designed bags now, and i can get one now? That would be sweet.

They have the bag redesign finished and they will have them soon! I would put in a ticket with Customer Service. Using the Batwing weekly rain or no rain!

kdeleon

Observer
They have the bag redesign finished and they will have them soon! I would put in a ticket with Customer Service. Using the Batwing weekly rain or no rain!

Hmm.. just called them and they said they don't have a redesigned bag, and just said the product won't mold. It's possible i spoke to someone who's not aware of any developments so please keep us posted with your dealings with them!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles