Ride after torsion bar crank

Bmp1

I read about cranking torsion bars for lift. Can you tell much difference in the ride after doing that? I would think it would be considerable stiffer.

evomaki

Observer
Just did it. Raised about 3/4". Doesn't feel any particularly different at all. I think there are different views as to whether that move changes the spring rate. I think likely not or just modestly at full compression. The spring will be more wound up at the compression bump stops. But it's nothing I've noticed. Use the search function for some how to's on that job.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Just make sure not to load the torsion bat against the upper control arm bumpstops, it will ride really bad.

plh

Explorer
At 2", you bet. Feels super stiff, unless at speed off road. :smiley_drive:

2" is a lot.

Cranking the torsion bars does not change the spring rate, it only changes the ride height. As Toasty said - things get really messed up if you hit the bump stops which a 2" raise is likely to do.

As a note - cranking the torsion bars also changes the suspension travel in the up direction (IIRC the geometry).

Be sure to get the vehicle to an alignment shop after the adjustment as you may experiance pre-mature tire wear without a proper alignment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior