Rim off set distance Fuso FG?

Flameffects

Observer
I am having some rims made up buy Trail Worth Fab and wanted to make sure my off sets our correct. My question is, are axel widths the same for the 5 lug trucks and the 6 lug trucks? Andy was quoting me 4.5" and 2.5". I have a 2001 FG with the 5 lug rims.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
I am having some rims made up buy Trail Worth Fab and wanted to make sure my off sets our correct. My question is, are axel widths the same for the 5 lug trucks and the 6 lug trucks? Andy was quoting me 4.5" and 2.5". I have a 2001 FG with the 5 lug rims.

Axle widths are the same for the 5 & 6 lugs axles.
If you are trying to get matching tracks front and rear for super singles, those (4.5" or 2.5") are not great enough backspacing.
Be advised that with 16 (or 16.5) inch rims, you probably will not be able to get perfect backspacing depending on the center drop of those rims, due to the Fuso's brake drum size.
ALSO with Trail Worth Fab be advised as to the stud hole size....see here http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/86579-My-Hummer-wheelset-experience

Last edited:

Flameffects

Observer
I talked to Andy at TWF today and he said that his first rims hole size was off but now he has that issue dialed. He can make me rims that are interchangeable with front and rear but no one so far has ordered any that way. Why is this important to some and not to others? If you were to ask Andy to make you a set of rims what would you request and why?

Maninga

Adventurer
If you have the option, suggest rims that're interchangeable. Only need a single spare, makes rotating tyres easier. The ATW super singles I have can be interchanged front and rear, though I've got 2 spares, mostly as it made sense at the time.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
He can make me rims that are interchangeable with front and rear but no one so far has ordered any that way. Why is this important to some and not to others?

With singles it is more about the track being the same on the back and the front, as this is desirable when four wheel driving in mud or sand.
Having the correct offset will allow you to do this, and as mentioned, also allows you to use the same rims on the back and front.

Flameffects

Observer
If I go with a rim set that tracks the same would this not make the overall width narrower than stock? Would this effect the vehicle handing in a adverse manner?

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
It's a bit of give and take. If the offset of the rims is designed to allow the same rim to be used on the back and front, and give an equal track, then the front track will get slightly wider and the rear track will become slightly less.
What will affect the handling more is where the COG ends up. If you are able to keep as much of the dynamic weight as low as possible then the stability will be greater.

Flameffects

Observer
Stockton wheel was my first choice due to the fact they are very close to me. When I talked to I found that the new management is all but clueless regarding this truck and rim options. I also ran into a language barrier that made communication difficult both verbally and written. Has anyone had a different experience in the last year?

Decanter

Adventurer
Stockton wheel was my first choice due to the fact they are very close to me. When I talked to I found that the new management is all but clueless regarding this truck and rim options. I also ran into a language barrier that made communication difficult both verbally and written. Has anyone had a different experience in the last year?

I just had Stockton build me two 19.5" x 8.25" wheels copied from a set of 4 used Stockton's I'd purchased from an expo member. I went to Stockton Wheel and they measured the old wheels and duplicated it exactly. For future reference my SO number from Stockton Wheel was 5006 and my reference number was Series24 . These were reversible six bolt.

Here are the specs from the invoice:
19.5x8.25 6x8.75BP PW VENTED
BUILD WITH REVERSE MAX BS OF 8-1/8"
PUT 6 OBLONG HOLES WITH
MEASUREMENTS
OF 2-3/4" LONG AND 1-1/2" WIDE
THE WIDTH OF HOLE 3/4 OF THE WAY IS
1-1/4" WIDE
THE SLOT HOLE WILL LINE UP WITH
VALVE STEM HOLE
DISTANCE OF OBLONG HOLE TO
CENTER
BORE HOLE EDGE TO EDGE IS 3-3/4"
DISTANCE FROM CENTER OF OBLONG
HOLE TO CENTERBORE EDGE IS 4-3/8"
CENTERBORE HOLE IS 6-1/2"
DOUBLE TAPER THE STUD HOLE W/
1-3/16" BEVELED

STOCKTON.JPG

Last edited:

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
You also need to take the thickness of the rim centre into account when working out the offset for single wheels. The ATW steel rims are 10mm (3/8").

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
You also need to take the thickness of the rim centre into account when working out the offset for single wheels. The ATW steel rims are 10mm (3/8").

I got 0.5" when I measured, but could be mistaken (or was thrown off by the powdercoat)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles