Ripped awning straps on Rhino Rack batwing

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
The straps that hold the rolled up awning seemed to have disintegrated while rolled up. While I have an email into Rhino Rack I won't hear back from them until Monday. Has anyone encountered this ?
I can still roll up and zip up the cover but would like a solution. I was hoping a new cover would work but while the top strap is part of the cover the bottom piece is part of the frame.

bat4.jpgbat1.jpgbat2.jpgbat3.jpg

KenC

OutThere
Mep1811:

I have and did my best to repair.

Placed new webbing over broken straps and used a one stitcher to sew them together. Time consuming.

This is the only way to repair since straps are sewn into the awing itself.

Seems to me that the webbing used was second or third rate; definitely not trail rated.

I talk with a Rhino rep at overland in Flagstaff last fall about it as a possible big flaw for the owners.

Awning was purchase in early 2018. Uses old awning cover and its zipper is about to give up the ghost.

If you need picture of repair, say so.

Hopes this helps,
-
KenC

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Yeah, cheap webbing and a buckle that appears to have a too sharp edge that has broken down the fibers in the webbing. If you lived close I'd just sew you a new set.
May try the local boat cover maker or awning/tent maker, they should be able to fix it their parking lot. Good luck!

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Mep1811:

I have and did my best to repair.

Placed new webbing over broken straps and used a one stitcher to sew them together. Time consuming.

This is the only way to repair since straps are sewn into the awing itself.

Seems to me that the webbing used was second or third rate; definitely not trail rated.

I talk with a Rhino rep at overland in Flagstaff last fall about it as a possible big flaw for the owners.

Awning was purchase in early 2018. Uses old awning cover and its zipper is about to give up the ghost.

If you need picture of repair, say so.

Hopes this helps,
-
KenC
Thanks I thought about using my Speedy Stich but not much solid fabric to stich to.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Yeah, cheap webbing and a buckle that appears to have a too sharp edge that has broken down the fibers in the webbing. If you lived close I'd just sew you a new set.
May try the local boat cover maker or awning/tent maker, they should be able to fix it their parking lot. Good luck!

Thanks . I could use my Speedy Stich but there is not much non-rotten strap to work with.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
As for a field fix, you could cut the webbing at the tear. Burn both ends to give you a clean edge and then thread a plastic buckle adjuster through the lower velcro side and then thread the top strap portion through it as well. Snug it down so it won't slip. The strap will be shorter and the adjuster will interfere with the velcro a little but it may just be enough to snug down the awning. Good luck!

DB298C22-BB2E-452C-A9DE-6FF3117FF53E.jpeg

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
As for a field fix, you could cut the webbing at the tear. Burn both ends to give you a clean edge and then thread a plastic buckle adjuster through the lower velcro side and then thread the top strap portion through it as well. Snug it down so it won't slip. The strap will be shorter and the adjuster will interfere with the velcro a little but it may just be enough to snug down the awning. Good luck!

View attachment 726478
Thanks I'll try that. I'm so surprised the webbing disintegrated under the cover . I do have an email and phone call into Rhino Rack. I'm curious what they will do or abandon their product .

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Thanks to @BritKLR I was able to fix the retaining straps on the BatWing. There was not enough Velcro strap to use so I added a buckle and works just fine.

awning1.jpgawning2.jpgawning3.jpg

86scotty

Cynic
Mep, I'm curious when you bought your awning? I've always liked these and other RR products and have had two of these awnings. One purchased 6 or more years ago when they were a pretty new product. Phenomenal quality, fit and finish. The second only a couple of years back and it wasn't made nearly as well. Parts all looked identical but it just wasn't as good as the first.

Could be a fluke, could've been made on Monday morning or Friday afternoon, just curious if yours is a more recent one.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Mep, I'm curious when you bought your awning? I've always liked these and other RR products and have had two of these awnings. One purchased 6 or more years ago when they were a pretty new product. Phenomenal quality, fit and finish. The second only a couple of years back and it wasn't made nearly as well. Parts all looked identical but it just wasn't as good as the first.

Could be a fluke, could've been made on Monday morning or Friday afternoon, just curious if yours is a more recent one.
I bought my awning in early 2018. I used it a lot on my Alaska trip and then it not used until I opened the cover to take picture to sell the awning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles