Rivian announces all-electric 7-seater SUV w/ up to 700 HP and 410 miles of range

richmondbob

Adventurer
Future isn't looking so bad.

The Rivian R1S Is an Electric SUV That Can Accelerate Quicker than Supercars

screen-shot-2018-11-27-at-12-46-50-pm-1543340911.png

c-rivian-r1s-interior-cutaway-1543342752.jpg

b-rivian-r1s-interior-1543342720.jpg

richmondbob

Adventurer
Meh.

Given that our EV choices are either weird little commuters or expensive luxury cars I'm willing to give this Michingan startup a wait-and-see before I knock them.

They're already taking deposits for pre-orders of their 2020 Rivian R1T Electric Pickup @ RIVIAN.

If the future of privately-owned vehicles is primarily EVs, I'm rooting for the Tesla, Rivian and Fiskers' to succeed.

Yet another concept car that may or may not actually reach production. Always look nice on paper....

J!m

Drive 400 miles into the bush and then.... how do you charge it? A week of sunshine?

D

Deleted member 9101

Drive 400 miles into the bush and then.... how do you charge it? A week of sunshine?

I'm betting that the perso. Who buys one is not all that interested in taking it out in the Bush.

F350joe

It’s a US truck. You will be lucky to get 50 miles into the bush, 400 miles off grid doesn't exist in the states.

dreadlocks

I've seen a Tesla in yellowstone, though im sure those $60/night electrical hookups cost him as much as my fuel bill for the whole trip pulling a camper.

My problem with PEV is the recharge time, Ive driven nearly a half million miles in my life.. if I refilled every 400 miles or so thats more than 1200 times I've filled the tank.. and the thing is vast majority of those miles were recreational in nature and not really commuting as I've worked from home or took public transport for a large portion of my career. lets say half of those miles charging overnight which is generous as all my family lives more than 400 miles away in many directions.. were talking a whole month of my life spent at charging stations and I'm nowhere near done driving yet.

not including the fact that I personally value my vacation/time off at more than 2x my base pay, so waiting in BFE for to recharge the vehicle would be a couple hundred dollars of my time twiddling thumbs.. yeah not happening.. I'd jump on a PEV grocery getter decades before I think the'd have anything attractive for overlanding.

J!m

If it's the Rivian PU, haul your gas generator in the bed and charge it wherever you want.

Seems easier to just use the gas engine to propel the vehicle... but that’s so 20th century!

Seriously though, drive 300 paved miles and then 100 off road... still nothing around but the sun (unless cloudy) and the breeze. Maybe a portable windmill supplementing the solar array would charge it in under two days to drive home for work Monday?

I’m just pissing on the corn flakes but why, WHY is the industry SO resistant to a diesel hybrid? That makes some sense to me. DC electric power with diesel generation. Diesel over electric (ah la locomotive) when you pop it into low range. Four drive motors, 800 ft/lb or torque, 40mpg... why not!

F350joe

I've seen a Tesla in yellowstone, though im sure those $60/night electrical hookups cost him as much as my fuel bill for the whole trip pulling a camper.

My problem with PEV is the recharge time, Ive driven nearly a half million miles in my life.. if I refilled every 400 miles or so thats more than 1200 times I've filled the tank.. and the thing is vast majority of those miles were recreational in nature and not really commuting as I've worked from home or took public transport for a large portion of my career. lets say half of those miles charging overnight which is generous as all my family lives more than 400 miles away in many directions.. were talking a whole month of my life spent at charging stations and I'm nowhere near done driving yet.

not including the fact that I personally value my vacation/time off at more than 2x my base pay, so waiting in BFE for to recharge the vehicle would be a couple hundred dollars of my time twiddling thumbs.. yeah not happening.. I'd jump on a PEV grocery getter decades before I think the'd have anything attractive for overlanding.

Charging times will get faster and batteries will be able to be swapped. Why not charge overnight if you are not driving, that’s one less stop.

F350joe

Seems easier to just use the gas engine to propel the vehicle... but that’s so 20th century!

Seriously though, drive 300 paved miles and then 100 off road... still nothing around but the sun (unless cloudy) and the breeze. Maybe a portable windmill supplementing the solar array would charge it in under two days to drive home for work Monday?

I’m just pissing on the corn flakes but why, WHY is the industry SO resistant to a diesel hybrid? That makes some sense to me. DC electric power with diesel generation. Diesel over electric (ah la locomotive) when you pop it into low range. Four drive motors, 800 ft/lb or torque, 40mpg... why not!

Ford is building a hybrid f150. Diesel would make since.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior