Rivian announces all-electric 7-seater SUV w/ up to 700 HP and 410 miles of range

hoser

Explorer
I've seen a Tesla in yellowstone, though im sure those $60/night electrical hookups cost him as much as my fuel bill for the whole trip pulling a camper.

My problem with PEV is the recharge time, Ive driven nearly a half million miles in my life.. if I refilled every 400 miles or so thats more than 1200 times I've filled the tank.. and the thing is vast majority of those miles were recreational in nature and not really commuting as I've worked from home or took public transport for a large portion of my career. lets say half of those miles charging overnight which is generous as all my family lives more than 400 miles away in many directions.. were talking a whole month of my life spent at charging stations and I'm nowhere near done driving yet.

not including the fact that I personally value my vacation/time off at more than 2x my base pay, so waiting in BFE for to recharge the vehicle would be a couple hundred dollars of my time twiddling thumbs.. yeah not happening.. I'd jump on a PEV grocery getter decades before I think the'd have anything attractive for overlanding.
I don't own an electric vehicle but this is my understanding....that Tesla Model S/X you saw probably had free Supercharging (included in vehicle purchase price). Free supercharging is no longer a perk but the cost will still be much cheaper than gas/diesel. You can typically get 80% charge in 40 minutes from a supercharger. In a Model X 100D, the trip from Denver to Yellowstone could look something like this....

Screen Shot 2019-01-25 at 11.15.54 PM.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94