RMP&Os 1977 Patrol Ute build for overlanding

bigskypylot

Explorer
Bit better view where you are now :)

Hahaha... Wreck. Unfortunately I was furloughed last month from the company I was a pilot for. Now I am looking at several others that do home-basing so BZN can remain an option. The only drawback would be the schedule which is 17on/13off. I guess it's not a huge drawback. a 13 day stretch off leaves a lot of time to explore :) If I end up going to an airline, I'd most likely have to move down towards the Denver area for ease of commutable schedules.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
powertrain5.jpg
powertrain4.jpg
powertrain3.jpg
powertrain2.jpg
powertrain.jpg
powertrain1.jpg

All done with the engine & trans mounts. The powertrain is now hanging in the frame rails with nothing supporting it but the mounts. I am happy with it, the trans mounts use a vulcanized Chevy leaf spring bushing, 9/16's grade 8 bolt. Plenty beefy and some dampening built in. I will be running DC shafts front and rear so don't care very much about my front to back angle on the power train, everything is good and square and angles are A-ok.

I have busted the original mounts x2 before, here is what they look like.

12241195_10156159195240461_4920485501201388892_n.jpg

Starting in on suspension now.....

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
front axle16.jpg
front axle8.jpg

FJ60 Land Cruiser SoA perch from RuffStuff, modified to suit this build

front axle15.jpg

I am moving the front axle 2" forward from it's original location

front axle12.jpg

front axle4.jpg

front axle17.jpg

Leaf springs for the front are a Jeep Rubicon Express 1444 for SoA applications. I don't want this truck to be to tall and proportions to be whacky. Right now it is looking like it will be tall but just have to see. I have a number of options to lower it including just doing SuA. I have the 35" tires for the project so will just have to play with it until I like how it sits.

In the back I think I might just go coil springs. I have two rear axles, one that is all built up I had planned to scavange for the bling parts and the other is a stock housing I have prepped for new leaves. The axle that is built up was running air shocks but is also a triangulated 4-link. I can modify it a little to mount some coil buckets on the housing and I am rocking. I already have the links, Johnny Joints, link mounts, coil buckets and some FJ80 coil springs. It will probably be a little more work than using leaves but I don't need to buy some 63" Chevies this way (I currently have some Deaver 63" long travel leaves that are to soft that I won't be using) and I think the rear end will perform better plus not have long *** leaves to drag over stuff. For load carrying, the Slee HDP springs will work awesome.

Any ways, just have to see how it all plays out, I am likely going to try a number of different combos until I am happy with ride height, proportions, stance and so forth.

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
front axle24.jpg
front axle19.jpg
front axle20.jpg
front axle21.jpg
front axle22.jpg
front axle23.jpg
front axle25.JPG

Coming together. Ride height is not going to be bad, first picture is about where it will be. Looks like I should have about 30* turning radius, will know for sure once I got the wheels bolted to the hub. Going to have to work out steering after the fact, right now is the ideal time but I am not ready with the steering since I think I have to cut out the #1 crossmember to fit the steering box. The tie rod might be an issue on rhs frame rail at full compression, just have to deal with it when I get there. Should have the axles loaded up and the front end sitting on wheels by tonight. Oh ya and I changed my notching at the front of the frame to give a bit more clearance on the leaf spring.

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
front axle28.jpg
front axle30.jpg
front axle27.JPG
front axle31.jpg
front axle32.jpg

Yup I got a wheel bolted up. Didn't feel like doing the other side tonight. The 35" tire & wheel combo pictured before won't work, wheel center to small and may not work with brakes too. So I fitted this 33" on a 16" wheel. Got 35* to scrub with the 33" tire, stoked on that. Ride height is looking good, still lot's to do but I don't think it will be overly tall and I thin my hard work to keep it low will pay off. I checked the steering, I have a high steer on my other axle, looks like it will work out just right too.

Cheers

Last edited:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
front axle33.jpg
front axle35.JPG
front axle34.JPG

rear axle1.jpg

Cheers

Attachments

• front axle22.jpg
    front axle22.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 24
  • front axle23.jpg
    front axle23.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 25
  • front axle27.JPG
    front axle27.JPG
    402.5 KB · Views: 27
  • front axle31.jpg
    front axle31.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 26

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Still waiting on RLCA mounts, axle side. Been like 3 or 4 weeks since I ordered them, they were back ordered. Going to have to make a call or two on that this week.

I finalized most of the fuel system on the engine. Spill tube on, fuel filter assembly on and so forth. everything torqued to specs and looking pretty. New glow plugs also installed, 12volt.

SD33T 5.jpg
SD33T 6.JPG
SD33T 7.JPG

Cheers

bigskypylot

Explorer
RMP... if I recall, are you down in the Jackson area? I might be looking to move down that way with a new job if I am lucky enough to get it. Seems there is a shortage of (affordable) housing down that way lol

J

JWP58

RMP... if I recall, are you down in the Jackson area? I might be looking to move down that way with a new job if I am lucky enough to get it. Seems there is a shortage of (affordable) housing down that way lol

Probably have to look in idaho to find affordable housing that isn't 500k plus.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader

I am leaving J-Hole and this is one of the major reasons why.

The place I live is for sale, 4.33acres in a sweet area of the valley. Two houses (major dumps), a shop (not up to code), a polluted well you can't drink, more weeds than 90+% of the properties here just to name a few issues. $1.3mil and it could be yours!

Expect to pay $3-5k in rent per month (F,L & D so $8-15k to move in) to live in this valley. Also expect neighbors that will complain if you have anything in your yard like a trailer, a boat, snowmobiles, a work truck, non-running vehicles or a project and on and on.

15+yrs ago this place was paradise, now not at all in my opinion. I been here 20yrs and I am out in a few months for good.

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior