Roadtrek 190 4x4

Redheddedwonder

I have been looking for a 4x4 van for awhile now, problem I keep having is being able to finance the vans I find and like. The Roadtrek 190 Popular 4x4 is on NADA RV as a 4x4, so getting a loan for one should be no problem. Unlike Sportsmobile or other vans that aren't RVs which don't include 4x4 on the NADA value so not even close to what people are asking for them.

So since I could finance one, and one is for sale not far from me with low miles I like the idea. I am having trouble finding reviews for them though. And a big concern is ground clearance, can these be lifted? Research shows custom lift. Wondering if anyone has experience with these so I can hear some real world reviews?

For reference I own a cherokee as my wheeling rig, this would tow the Jeep sometimes, but also serve as a road trip rig. Wouldn't be doing any serious offroading but would want to be able to do trips like the WABDR, and LoLo Motorway, which I have never done before but from my understanding a stock 4x4 rig should be able to handle? Also like to just get out in the mountains for fly fishing/camping.

Raodtrek 4x4.jpg

Len.Barron

Observer
They are reasonably well built, cabinetry is plywood, not particle board, you can't beat the gm drivetrains, they are bulletproof. Weldtec Designs makes some real nice suspension parts for these so lifting is no problem.
They are typically pretty expensive (compared to just an Express passenger van) so you are going to be pretty heavily invested in them before you start the mods.
They have a pretty cool dropped floor to give great headroom without a ridiculous tall hightop.
Any Roadtrek 190 that is 4x4 would have been converted to 4x4 by Quigley or Advanced.

Reactions: zip

marret

Right, is it AWD or 4x4?

As mentioned by Len, Weldtec can do a lift and 4x4 conversion if needed. I had my Quigley 4x4 Savana lifted by Weldtec.

People are getting Sportsmobiles insured as RVs, and I think in some cases financing as RVs, but it is more difficult than something like a Roadtrek.

Redheddedwonder

it is 4x4, from my research it shows they start with a 3500 and conversion from quigley, and I did find weldtec website after posting this last night! This van NADA value is around $47k, so cheaper than a comparable sportsmobile. I know you can finance a sportsmobile as an RV but they don't have 4x4 as on option on NADA, so usually valued way lower than asking price, and banks won't loan that much over NADA.

Good to know they are built strong! I will find out more about it tomorrow, they don't have the price posted

whith

You'll get some better clearance obviously from just removing those side skirts and the front trim on the bumper. The top looks like a stock bumper so you may find that there are just some holes that need to be filled or left, may not be a big deal. Depending on how much you want to spend you can definitely lift that thing to where you want it. Weldtec is doing some great stuff, and Marret's van is a fine example. If you just want to go an inch or two, you can add blocks to the rear and turn the torsion keys up a little bit. This is a very inexpensive way to go.

bmwtrekker

We have one! 2007, owned it for about 3 years, great rigs for exploring but not on hardcore trails. We mostly use ours for skiing in winter and exploring forest service roads in Idaho. Ours doesn't have the plastic front bumper, and we had it lifted 2 inches via the torsion bars and a bigger spacer on the rear axel. We now have about 8.5" clearance at lowest point, which is black tank macerator. They drive excellent, I did add a big rear sway bar, DSC_0004.JPGdecent mileage, 13+/- mpg, inexpensive to maintain as they are GM. Interior is very well put together, we modified the rear bed situation so we could put bikes in there while driving, but convert to queen bed at night. Also added a roof rack for ski box or kayaks. Also put BFG KO2's on, great tires.

Last edited:

zip

I prefer social distancing.
Love my Roadtrek.
Did you ever find out the price?

EDIT: Called the dealership this morning, and was told they are asking $65K, which I feel is waaaaay overpriced.

Last edited:

Len.Barron

Observer
Love my Roadtrek.
Did you ever find out the price?

EDIT: Called the dealership this morning, and was told they are asking $65K, which I feel is waaaaay overpriced.
they command a premium for sure....when I was first looking at donor vans I searched for a 190 roadtrek that had a blown engine or trans so I could get a good deal and just pull the body off of it...I never found one.

zip

I prefer social distancing.
they command a premium for sure....when I was first looking at donor vans I searched for a 190 roadtrek that had a blown engine or trans so I could get a good deal and just pull the body off of it...I never found one.

What did you end up getting?
I have an older 190 that I am gonna keep for a couple more years.
I then hope to by a newer 190 w/4x4, or will have it converted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier