"Roll-n-Lock" as the roof on a trailer?

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
I'm curious if anyone has ever thought of or actually used this type of retractable lid on a trailer?
If one was to custom build their own trailer, it certainly wouldn't be that difficult to build the top opening to the dimensions of a standard p/u bed that would easily accommodate one of these types of lids.
If you haven't seen them before, here's one website:
http://www.rollnlock.com/

I'm curious what others think of this.
I had a custom trailer built this summer, and the lid opens in two sections with standard gas struts, but removing the 2 separate pieces is kind of a PITA due to their weight ~ 75 pounds each, and there size, about 4' x 4' each. The retractable lid seems like it would have been a much better option, albeit a bit more pricey...

bob

Adventurer
lid

what you have now gives you a lot of options for carrying things on it. With the roll up not much strength. I can see the advantages of both, but more so if the trailer is more of haul stuff to the dump, pick up the wife's antiques, carry the sheep to market type, vs a off road manly trailer. Just teasing on that. you have to decide what you want the trailer to do as its main funtction then the answer most likely will be clear.

XJINTX

Explorer
Just an FYI... I have a roll-n-lock on my truck... not inexpensive.

Something??? dented one or two of the aluminium strips that are inside the rollup cover. Now I can only retract to those strips :(

I need to take apart and see if removeable, replaceable or repairable.

That said my HARDTOP on my trailer does get lots of stuff put on it from time to time... I'd never do that to my roll-n-lock.

EDIT to add: Some asked a question of me and I wanted to add... I am not at all dissatisfied with the Roll-N-Lock on my Super Duty. The bent slats were from me putting something on it and bending not a defect. I certainly recommend for any truck. I posted because I know the use / abuse my trailer gets while overland camping and question a non rigid (tough) top on it.

Last edited:

Pikeman

Adventurer
I was thinking of going this route on my military trailer. A couple things that would keep me from doing this top. One the initial cost of the unit and would need to build a lumber rack style mount for my RTT placing it 18 inches above the trailer so I have room to reach beneath it to pull items out of the cargo box. This would raise the CG and also put it higher in the air stream creating more resistance. That being said I have not totally eliminated the idea as I plan to multi use my trailer and not just expo base camp.

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
what you have now gives you a lot of options for carrying things on it. With the roll up not much strength. I can see the advantages of both, but more so if the trailer is more of haul stuff to the dump, pick up the wife's antiques, carry the sheep to market type, vs a off road manly trailer. Just teasing on that. you have to decide what you want the trailer to do as its main function then the answer most likely will be clear.

Well, the ideas behind my build are buried in this forum somewhere, and I do mostly use my trailer to take stuff to the dump, and bring large items back from Home Depot etc.
So, for my personal uses, I think it's a valid option, all cons of the unit being considered.

As for the need to mount an RTT 18" above the lid, if you mounted the ladder/lumber rack to some struts and hinges, you would still be able to access the main cargo area quite easily. You would definitely be adding complexity to the build, but that is up to the individual to decide if it's worth it to them or not...

As for cost, I have no idea what they run...
I would guess in excess of $1000 though???

Pikeman

Adventurer
Yes the average cost is in the $1000 plus range with some of the more basic units around $800. My opinion is that if you have the skill to make a hinged rack platform for your RTT to keep it low profile spend the little bit extra to skin it and make it into a lid. Then all you have to do is make that lid removable and you have your cargo/dump utility trailer.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Here's something I always thought would make a great trailer lid...strong, simple, lightweight, watertight....prety much everything we're all looking for. I had one on my Titan and could easily stand in the middle when closed..and I'm 3 bills + :ylsmoke:

http://www.lazerlitecovers.com/

Plus the owner, Scott, was an absolute gentleman to do business with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne