Roody's 2001 Isuzu VehiCROSS - Intro.

Roody

Adventurer
Hey everyone, I just picked up a 2001 Isuzu VehiCROSS that I'm hoping will someday be capable of light expedition trips, so figured I'd introduce myself and the vehicle.

I was pretty torn for a while about what to do. Growing up around off-roading and always wanting to do a bit of it myself, plans for doing so never really fell into place. I've logged thousands of miles on ATVs doing single and multi-day excursions, but haven't gotten a chance to do any off-roading of my own in a vehicle that's street legal (though you can drive the quads on side roads in NH/ME!). I had a 2005 Avalanche for 7 years that, looking back, would have made a great platform to build an expedition vehicle on, but as they say: hindsight is 20/20. My other vehicle is a Dodge Challenger which, as much as I want it to be, isn't much good off-road.

A few months ago I almost bought a VehiCROSS that was located out in Chicago. It had off-road armor, manual locking hubs, and a few other tasteful modifications. It would have been perfect, but the timing wasn't. I had to let that one go but last week I was able to pick up a 2001 Kaiser Silver VX that was only twenty minutes north of me. It has 92k miles, is relatively clean, and runs pretty well. Aside from the big chrome wheels and KYB shocks, it's stock...which is good and bad. Good, as in it hasn't been modified questionably and I can do everything the way I want, but bad because parts are hard to find. The wheels will be gone soon (hopefully) in favor of 16"s and a good do-it-all all-terrain, and then it'll be time to add some armor and recovery gear.

I know the VehiCROSS doesn't have a huge amount of information readily available, so I'm hoping that this site can provide a bit of guidance if/when it's needed; it'll also allow me to soak up as much knowledge about wheeling as possible. I'd eventually like to be able to offer help to anybody who scoops up one of these weird little 4x4s once I gain some knowledge myself, so an introduction was necessary as I'll hopefully be hanging around this site for a while to come.

Without further ado, my new-to-me VX!

DSC_0523_zpsszxjssth.jpg

DSC_0516_zpsjkdzfxkn.jpg

DSC_0531_zpsm4sw1ksf.jpg

DSC_0540_zpsewencaav.jpg

DSC_0538_zpsmudzyctq.jpg

Cheers,
Ross

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
I offer no help, other than congrats on a great find. It looks very clean and low miles to boot. Good luck with your project and enjoy!

tarditi

Explorer
Good luck! I've always found them to be interesting. Looking forward to seeing the build-up/prep and adventures.

conifers4

Suburban nomad
I really dig those vehicles, not sure why though. Congrats on your purchase and I look forward to watching your build.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
They are nimble little off-roaders, way ahead of their time stylistically. If only they had more headroom, because I don't fit in one. My other complaint is how to carry an oversize spare tire.

I assume you've been to vehicross.info?

Roody

Adventurer
I offer no help, other than congrats on a great find. It looks very clean and low miles to boot. Good luck with your project and enjoy!

Thank you!

Good luck! I've always found them to be interesting. Looking forward to seeing the build-up/prep and adventures.

Thanks! They're definitely "interesting" and something you don't see every day.

I really dig those vehicles, not sure why though. Congrats on your purchase and I look forward to watching your build.

Thanks!

They are nimble little off-roaders, way ahead of their time stylistically. If only they had more headroom, because I don't fit in one. My other complaint is how to carry an oversize spare tire.

I assume you've been to vehicross.info?

Yessir! Though that site is largely dormant now. Few active members but most of the info/posting has migrated over to the Facebook page. As for oversized spare, I think one will fit if you remove the rear seats. Luckily it only takes like 4 bolts to do so. Otherwise...custom fabbing a gate-mounted carrier is necessary.

Good looking VX for sure, similar to the look I'm going for (minus the roof rack).

justcuz

Explorer
I am always torn looking at these, cool in one sense, but so rarely seen I would not want to mess it up by using it in rough areas.

I suspect the undercarriage shares a lot with the Amigo and other Isuzu products.

Nice find, it looks to be in great shape for its age.

Roody

Adventurer
I am always torn looking at these, cool in one sense, but so rarely seen I would not want to mess it up by using it in rough areas.

I suspect the undercarriage shares a lot with the Amigo and other Isuzu products.

Nice find, it looks to be in great shape for its age.

Thank you! It's in pretty good shape overall. I wouldn't say great...pictures of the undercarriage would have shown why. It's built on a Trooper platform so supposedly Trooper skids bolt up...hoping to find out soon! As for not beating it up, I don't plan on kicking the crap out of it, but it is a 90k+ mile, 15 year-old vehicle that's meant for, at least a little, off-roading. I don't plan on babying it but it won't be a street queen.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
VX has some Rodeo/Amigo parts, but more Trooper parts. Trooper RS (SWB) frame, Trooper drivetrain and axles.

outofrshell

Adventurer
First: Very nice I think they are one of the coolest 4X4 ever made. They share their drive train with the Isuzu Trooper 1998 and up so parts for drive train & engine are still relatively easy to source. Body is VX exclusive but with the right connections they can be found. Like Steve said there are quite a few show up in Moab in May and they seem to keep a continuing parts swap going. Have you been to Planet Isuzu not a lot of VX stuff but plenty of 2nd Gen Trooper info Congratulation Dave

RobRed

Explorer
The guy down the street has one of these - he approached me last week and asked if I want to buy it... what do you say @v_man ? You man enough?

Darkrider

Adventurer
The VehiCross is def an interesting lil unit..I remember when they came out but i do not ever recall seeing one up here in canada.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles