Roof Rack & Body Kit Questions

20180415_111826.jpg
1) I don't like the look of the racks that would go all the way down to my gutters, so I'm planning on throwing some false gutters on the sides or top of my fiberglass lid. My problem is Im just not keen on tearing into the Explorer Van factory roof liner at this point. Is their any way I can install false gutters without access to the back side? I plan on mounting a cargo box and a single solar panel.
2) I'm getting ready to pull that body kit skirting off all the way around so I can get back to normal clearance... any ideas on where I might be able to peddle the kit? I can't imagine anyone on here wanting it for the same reason I'm pulling it off.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
If you can pull the headliner back a little, you could make a nutplate, or similar using a piece of metal and welded nuts, or rivnuts. Slip it behind the headliner and use through bolts.

Plusnuts are a type of rivnut designed for softer material like fiberglass and plastic. Set 2-4 for each false gutter, and bolt on the false gutter to the fiberglass. I highly recommend a decent surface area, and using an adhesive like skiaflex 227 to bond the false gutter in addition to the plusnuts. This should be good for hundreds of pounds on a well made rack.

Teamoatmealpie

Observer
I will follow this thread, as I hope you post what route you go. I want to add a turtle top as at 6'3 moving around bent over stinks. But have the same question as you- attach to the gutters with ultra high side brackets to clear the top. Or attach directly to the fiberglass.

My main concern is leaks - plenty of rain here in Oregon.

Choff

Adventurer
You will have lots of screw holes to fill on door skins when you take off the body kit on doors.
I am still running mine and have to fix due to wife driving it in snow storm. I have had door body kit off to fix and its going back on.
I wish I would have taken the body kit off of our Conversion years ago, but still on after many repairs !!
I went to 17" rims and air bags in back to jack it up a little and helped a lot for clearance issues.
This weekend we had 11" plus of snow and would not drive anything else in the winter-boy does AWD Go through the snow.
Good tires help!!
2005 AWD GMC SAVANA

Corneilius

Adventurer
I replied to your message. I was able to unscrew access panels and reach my hand in to start nuts and big fender washers. I chased a few (sporadic and annoying) leaks because I had 16 holes, but some time with the Self Leveling Sealant sealed them all. Honestly most of my leaks were from the rear window butyl tape ha..... Different hightop are strong in different places, mine is 1/4" thick fiberglass on the sides, and a honeycomb on top so I decided to go through the top not the sides. Pics in my build thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior