roof rack lights for setting up camp.

cr500taco

Adventurer
Want to get some lights on the sides and rear of my rack for setting up camp and whaterver else I will need light for. How many lumens is adequate? I don't want to have too much light to where it's blinding or annoying. I am looking into either the Baja Designs S2 sport which has 1130 lumens each and the S2 Pro whcih has 2450 lumens each.

Umbrarian

Observer
I have 5 Rigid A Series (200) Lumens per side, more than enough. Coverage is more important, hence 5 aimed vs 1 big one.

65TaX7A.gif

Lykos

Super Trucker
Sub'd.

I'm looking to do the exact same thing to my Burb. Years in EMS/Fire have shown me the value of good scene lights.
I am however going to go the opposite direction money wise and run these mounted to the factory roof rack rather than buying high dollar lights. I don't see the need to spend so much since you're not depending on these for driving. I'll be running two on each side.

MICTUNING MIC-5DP50 2X SR-Mini Series 11'' 50W Single Row CREE LED Light Bar COMBO Spot Flood 5000lm 500m Visibility https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OZ35XQE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_0bgKBbNF63JR1

cr500taco

Adventurer
Thanks you, I will check those out.

The reason why I am wanting to go with Baja Designs, even for lights other than driving, is because I have a couple of sets of lights from them and they have really great customer service and warranty. Plus, their lights are solid built.

Last edited:

javajoe79

Fabricator
I personally don't like lights in my face every time I walk toward the truck. Something up high enough to avoid that would be my preference or even better something low that just lights up the ground so you can walk around with clear footing.

cr500taco

Adventurer
I personally don't like lights in my face every time I walk toward the truck. Something up high enough to avoid that would be my preference or even better something low that just lights up the ground so you can walk around with clear footing.
My rack is almost 7' high so, I won't have a problem. I had some halogen floods on the rear and it wasn't an issue and that was before I lifted my truck a couple of inches.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I've had 360 degree lighting on my Land Cruiser for a long time . Makes pulling into camp late easy with ready light. I used cheap Amazon lights and the are super bright. For the price of a couple Rigid lights you can outfit the entire truck with just a good cheap lights .

dreadlocks

not exactly cheap but comparable to those bahas in price and gives you dimmable 1k lumens and red night lighting
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VM3D2KO/

I been thinking of putting a few of these on my trailer roof racks, but my rack is 11ft high so I shouldn't need multiples on each side to get a decent spread. Rented a trailer last year for Eclipse that had red external lighting all around.. proved to be extremely nice when we decided to pack up and roll out of Yellowstone at 3am before everyone else woke up.. Besides not ruining yer night vision red lights dont seem to attract bugs that much if at all.

I'm going to put some bright white under carriage lighting hooked up to reverse lights so backing up and setting up leveling blocks, etc is all the easier in the dark

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I did 6 little fish eye individual single led lenses off amazon. Bought a 10 pack, got 6 to work, but the cost was 10 bucks. Built some brackets so they point down about 30 degrees from vertical. They clamp to the rack tube. I spent 3x as much on wire and brackets as lights, plus a $6 switch, and the total was less than $60. Perfect for camp without being intrusive to others. I might add 2 pointing in so that they light up the rack itself. Tying stuff down after looking up into the light can be a challenge.

cr500taco

Adventurer
not exactly cheap but comparable to those bahas in price and gives you dimmable 1k lumens and red night lighting
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VM3D2KO/

I been thinking of putting a few of these on my trailer roof racks, but my rack is 11ft high so I shouldn't need multiples on each side to get a decent spread. Rented a trailer last year for Eclipse that had red external lighting all around.. proved to be extremely nice when we decided to pack up and roll out of Yellowstone at 3am before everyone else woke up.. Besides not ruining yer night vision red lights dont seem to attract bugs that much if at all.

I'm going to put some bright white under carriage lighting hooked up to reverse lights so backing up and setting up leveling blocks, etc is all the easier in the dark
Those are pretty cool.

moderndaynorseman

If you have an awning, pointing the lights up towards it will help diffuse the light around the area and keep it out of your eyes. It can also help the light feel warmer, depending on the base color of the lights/awning.

Last edited:

Scoutn79

Adventurer
One thing I have seen guys do, and I find it very useful and creative, is mount a good floodlight on an extendable pole of some sort. If you can get the light 10-12 or more ft up it won't be in your eyes and will throw a bit less shadow as well as getting better coverage. You do have to figure out how you are going to do the wiring (coil, reel etc.)
I haven't done this yet but it does have it's appeal.

Darrell

Last edited:

cr500taco

Adventurer
One thing I have seen guys do, and I find it very useful and creative, is mount a good floodlight on an extendable pole of some sort. If you can ge the light 10-12 or more ft up it won't be in your eyes and will throw a bit less shadow as well as getting better coverage. You do have to figure out how you are going to do the wiring (coil, reel etc.)
I haven't done this yet but it does have it's appeal.

Darrell
That's a good idea.

Lykos

Super Trucker
I did 6 little fish eye individual single led lenses off amazon. Bought a 10 pack, got 6 to work, but the cost was 10 bucks. Built some brackets so they point down about 30 degrees from vertical. They clamp to the rack tube. I spent 3x as much on wire and brackets as lights, plus a $6 switch, and the total was less than $60. Perfect for camp without being intrusive to others. I might add 2 pointing in so that they light up the rack itself. Tying stuff down after looking up into the light can be a challenge.
Have a pic?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior