Roof Rack Time

jh.

ambitiose sed ineptum
Today's front page article about the Front Runner Slimline comes at a good time for me at least...the next big purchase I'm going to make will be a roof rack for the Disco II (maintenance is about half done and my suspension upgrade is also half done {front gained a full 3" from OME springs and shocks...back was delayed by weather this weekend - looks like I'm parked on a hill).

So I've been passively shopping racks for a while now and have found that it's inevitable that I will be spending money...and good money...to get what I want.

Safety Devices doesn't allow for the sun roofs to open...so that's out.

I don't like the lack of rails surrounding the Slimline...so that's out (they may be redundant to good tie downs, but I want the rails).

I'm leaning towards one of the racks sold by Voyager Off Road. They're on "sale" for $900 and shipping would be about $150.

Better ideas out there? I am partial (as the article which spurred this post mentions) to the old fashioned look of Camel Trophy LRs. I'd like to keep the cost down, but also don't want to buy a rust bucket. Now if I can just find that buffalo hide chair.......

Thanks in advance!

Expat93

Voyager Rack

Today's front page article about the Front Runner Slimline comes at a good time for me at least...the next big purchase I'm going to make will be a roof rack for the Disco II (maintenance is about half done and my suspension upgrade is also half done {front gained a full 3" from OME springs and shocks...back was delayed by weather this weekend - looks like I'm parked on a hill).

So I've been passively shopping racks for a while now and have found that it's inevitable that I will be spending money...and good money...to get what I want.

Safety Devices doesn't allow for the sun roofs to open...so that's out.

I don't like the lack of rails surrounding the Slimline...so that's out (they may be redundant to good tie downs, but I want the rails).

I'm leaning towards one of the racks sold by Voyager Off Road. They're on "sale" for $900 and shipping would be about $150.

Better ideas out there? I am partial (as the article which spurred this post mentions) to the old fashioned look of Camel Trophy LRs. I'd like to keep the cost down, but also don't want to buy a rust bucket. Now if I can just find that buffalo hide chair.......

Thanks in advance!

If you're interested, I have an Almost New, Voyager Low Profile Rack for sale that I took off of my LR4 last week. I only had it on there for about three months. I'm selling the Rack and the ladder for $900 plus shipping. I'm in Birmingham, so if you're close, that's even cheaper. I've also go it listed over at Landroverworld. PM me if you're interested.

Attachments

• IMG_0221.JPG
    IMG_0221.JPG
    268 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0223.JPG
    IMG_0223.JPG
    315.8 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0224.JPG
    IMG_0224.JPG
    316.9 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0214.JPG
    IMG_0214.JPG
    292.1 KB · Views: 85

jh.

ambitiose sed ineptum
Thanks but I don't think the LR4 rack will work with my Disco II...plus the new ones for the Disco are only $839 (on sale) and I already have a ladder. Good luck with the sale though!!

evilfij

Explorer
Every safety devices rack sold new by land rover in the US (with possibly some rare exception) allows the sunroof to open.

That is the best and best looking rack for a disco.

JSBriggs

Adventurer
Every safety devices rack sold new by land rover in the US (with possibly some rare exception) allows the sunroof to open.

That is the best and best looking rack for a disco.

Wrong, The XD discos came with the low profile SD rack.

Wouldn't the XD be considered a 'rare exception'?

To back up a bit, What are you using the rack for? What do plan to put up there? Loose gear, rooptop tent, bikes/kayaks?

-Jeff

DividingCreek

Explorer
Having had a lot of different racks my favorite is the front runner. The railing is removable (so you can mount a rtt) but there are railings available. Personally having had the SD stuff on several trucks I'd go Front Runner or Hannibal if I were going to buy a rack today. Given those two choices I'd choose FR because of all the accessories available and the incredible customer support they have here in the states. I bolted a SD rack on a disco and watched my mpg drop by 2.

jh.

ambitiose sed ineptum
To back up a bit, What are you using the rack for? What do plan to put up there? Loose gear, rooptop tent, bikes/kayaks?

-Jeff

One fixed tub of some sort (Pelican, Seahorse, hell I might start with a cheap Plano or something) for soft goods, one spare tire (I hate the idea as I did this on one of my Jeeps and lost a lot of real estate, but I have 6 wheels - why not?), and then the rest of the gear for a given trip (camping, canoe, kayaks, skis, etc).

I'm building a drawer/sleeping platform for permanent stuffs (recovery and cooking gear), but the roof will be everything else. Can't steal the dog's place in the back. I've always mounted my bikes to roofs, but with this rig I think I'm getting a Thule Spare Me for the rear spare. No RTT - sleeping in the rig. Also, since this is my hunting truck....I haven't quite decided if I'll toss game bags inside (on top of the platform) or tie them down to the roof. Most likely the latter (assuming I actually see an elk this year...).

I bolted a SD rack on a disco and watched my mpg drop by 2.

Ugh...I'm at 10mpg BEFORE the OME lift.

Also this is straight from SD's website (under the Highlander Rack; Land Rover Discovery 2 with roof rails): Will allow limited use of the sunroofs although
cannot be opened fully.

I guess since it only opens about 5" anyway, limited may not really matter. Is it just me, or are these hard to find stateside?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior