Roof Rack Time

jh.

ambitiose sed ineptum
Red letter day. We agree.

In my experience and opinion Baja rack is the best rack you can buy for discovery one or two.

And one I hadn't thought about until asking this question...which is why I appreciate this site (and the interwebs in general...makes a hack like me an ok shadetree mechanic).

jgdisco2

Adventurer
My sun roofs opened fine with my SD rack. I never had a problem out of that.

X2 I have a SD rack on mine and both sunroofs are fully operational, I would try to find a good used one or find a good Hannibal as stolen heron mentioned. I've had both racks on my vehicle and both work perfectly, i just preferred the look of the SD

Colin Hughes

Explorer
I went with the Front Runner Slimline, 1997 D1. I have my awning attached, Autohome tent, etc. It's relatively quiet too compared to the Safety Devices and I've had a couple of those in the past.
Baja will make a completely flat top rack for an RTT as well.

keoni004

Observer
I've always been torn between the SD and Bajaracks. I like the overall appearance of the SD more than anything out there. I looked into the Front Runner rack, but for my primary function of toting surfboards around I don't see how the FR will work, without adding accessories from Yakima/Thule (which ruins the clean lines). With the Bajarack flat rack the bars are spaced wide enough for me to just put pads on them.

And I just picked up 2mpg with a valve job and new O2 sensors...it'll be sad to see that go away :)

Hey bud my SD rack is for sale if you are interested.

PM Sent.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
For a modern rack, both Front Runner's Slimline (I & II) and Eezi Awn's K9 are good options.

For a Discovery I still have a penchant for the old school steel SD racks.

jh.

ambitiose sed ineptum
For a modern rack, both Front Runner's Slimline (I & II) and Eezi Awn's K9 are good options.

For a Discovery I still have a penchant for the old school steel SD racks.

I am starting to warm to the Front Runner's look...but yes part of my hesitation is my reluctance to go "modern." It may be because I've wanted a Rover since I was in high school and back then the only way to go was the SD (and gain the classic CT look). Now that I have one, at the risk of psychoanalyzing myself, I think some of my decision making is being driven by my inner 16yo.

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
but for my primary function of toting surfboards around I don't see how the FR will work, without adding accessories from Yakima/Thule (which ruins the clean lines). With the Bajarack flat rack the bars are spaced wide enough for me to just put pads on them.

When I was building our FZJ80 for Central America, I was also torn as to what rack system to use as well. I played around with the Front Runner slimline we use on our UZJ100 but quickly realized it was overspec for our needs on the FZJ80. Don't get me wrong I do think FR racks are state of the art, but in CA we will primarily be using a roof rack for surfboards. And for that requirement we opted for the tried-and-true Yakima cross bars. (BTW, not show in the photo below is a third cross bar which can be slid close to cross bar two and large pelican cases can be strapped to them when extra cargo space is needed) Both basket and flat racks have their place, but too keep it simple for hauling boards, cross bars are really hard to beat. Other option for you maybe the FR crossbars. We're going to run those for the RRT on my UZJ100 instead of flat rack this season.

Also the new Thule quick straps for SUP are awesome for surfboards and kayaks as well: very fast and secure.

IMG_2958.jpg

Krisbarger

Observer
Having had a lot of different racks my favorite is the front runner. The railing is removable (so you can mount a rtt) but there are railings available. Personally having had the SD stuff on several trucks I'd go Front Runner or Hannibal if I were going to buy a rack today. Given those two choices I'd choose FR because of all the accessories available and the incredible customer support they have here in the states. I bolted a SD rack on a disco and watched my mpg drop by 2.

Very helpful post. I was on the edge on this rack. This just helped me decide. Thx!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

DividingCreek

Explorer
http://www.frontrunneroutfitters.co...ION-TOP-RAILS-FOR-SLIMLINE-II-RACKS-p292.html

There are optional rails for the front runner slimline 2. There is also a spare tire holder that I'm installing tomorrow.... and they make soft weather proof bags for the roof rack.

:campfire: :wings:

She's in Burbank for you lucky Californians. She found me mounting hardware for mine (bought it used) in Belgium for free, all I had to do was pay airmail. Not many importers/distributors would do such a thing.

JAK

JAK:JeremySnow
She's in Burbank for you lucky Californians. She found me mounting hardware for mine (bought it used) in Belgium for free, all I had to do was pay airmail. Not many importers/distributors would do such a thing.

I can +1 on that. She was able to get me my swing away tire mount from Belgium. I am always looking to see what else I can get from her. I am pretty well setup at this point but a water tank may be in the cards. Very cool vendor.

FRBlake

Front Runner Expert
I can +1 on that. She was able to get me my swing away tire mount from Belgium. I am always looking to see what else I can get from her. I am pretty well setup at this point but a water tank may be in the cards. Very cool vendor.
Well, for those of you that are going to The Overland Expo this year, The whole front runner crew will be there. They just confirmed that they will be there and will be bringing 3 of their trucks to the expo.

Anyone else going to OX13 this year?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior