Roof top tent on tacoma leer cap

Nelz1

I've read that leer and other truck toppers shouldnt have to much weight loaded on top of them such as a roof top tent. Soo I dont undertsand how an outfitter would carry a tent up on top..I'd love my tent on my cap but am so hesitant..

Attachments

• vermont%208.jpg
    vermont%208.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 164

Aaron Wasson

In the rear with the gear
Ive wondered the same thing. Ive contacted a local ARE rep here in Houston and explained to him that I wanted to mount a tent to the top of the CX Topper. He told me that I should be fine. Asked him what the max load was for the roof of the CX and his reply back was that it would be safe with 500lbs up there. Im going to get in touch with ARE specifically and see what they say. I don't want to pay $1500 for the shell, then the roof rack, and the tent only to have it collapse when Im trying to sleep.

Just checked the Leer site and they are saying that the 100RCC will hold 400lbs static load. http://www.leer.com/Commercial-Caps#

MtnClimber

Ready To Explore!
Mt Tepui weighs in at 130 lbs. When it's opened up, the ladder supports half the weight, so now there's only 65 lbs that the cap is supporting. Now with me and the dog in it (250 lbs combined) the cap is now only supporting 190 lbs. Add a few pounds of sleeping ear and I wouldn't be scared of having a RTT up on a cap.

Nelz1

Thanks!!

Mt Tepui weighs in at 130 lbs. When it's opened up, the ladder supports half the weight, so now there's only 65 lbs that the cap is supporting. Now with me and the dog in it (250 lbs combined) the cap is now only supporting 190 lbs. Add a few pounds of sleeping ear and I wouldn't be scared of having a RTT up on a cap.

Thanks for all the input Mtn Climber thats the tent Im thinking of picking up..Thanks for the weight distribution scenario,, when the tent is open that makes sense and it never dawned on me..

yedi

Observer
There's a pretty good discussion on mounting RTTs in this thread. Check out post #144 from Mike S, who owns/operates AutoHome. He runs a Columbus on an unreinforced ARE topper and says that mounting RTTs to unreinforced tops is pretty common.

I've got an ARE CX shell and reinforced it. Check out posts #4 and #8 on this thread for more details. I got my shell before I knew I was going to put a RTT on it. Once I got the RTT, though, I knew I was going to be living out of my truck for a while and was worried about the stress of my and my girlfriend's weight (way more mine than hers) up there every single night. Probably wouldn't have been an issue, but for the fairly low cost (~$300) of the reinforcing frame, I was happy to have that peace of mind. If I were only using it for occasional camping trips, I probably wouldn't have bothered reinforcing it.

Having said all of that, if you know that you want to put a RTT up there and haven't gotten a shell yet, I would recommend getting one of the burlier toppers that beavis0076 mentions. You get the peace of mind without having to deal with putting an internal frame in.

colodak

Adventurer
I have an Astro on my Dodge, they rate it for a max of 250 lbs, well distributed. My topper has been in twice for factory repairs for cracks in the fiberglass and the most I carry up there is about 200 lbs. I have a Yakima system, tracks to the outboard, 72" cross bars with 2 bike carriers, load warrior basket, hi-lift, shovel and axe. Both of my cracks have been in the sides near the bottom.

montypower

Adventure Time!
I'm running a SnugPro Commerical Grade fiberglass canopy. It is rated for 500lbs. It is plenty strong for the tent, rack, awnings, etc. But... The truck bedsides are not strong enough. I started having issues with them spreading. It was resolved by adding a spanner bar to pull the bedsides together. I'd recommend limiting how much weight you put on the bedsides. Getting some good vertical support to your bed/frame is a wise idea.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
I've read that leer and other truck toppers shouldnt have to much weight loaded on top of them such as a roof top tent. Soo I dont undertsand how an outfitter would carry a tent up on top..I'd love my tent on my cap but am so hesitant..

Um, you could call Ben at Outback Proven (since that's their truck that he drove to the Vermont Overland Rally) and ask how it's working out for them or if they just mounted it for display purposes.

:safari-rig:
855-629-8729
http://outbackproven.com/
Just sayin'.

Last edited:

cs0430

I'm running a SnugPro Commerical Grade fiberglass canopy. It is rated for 500lbs. It is plenty strong for the tent, rack, awnings, etc. But... The truck bedsides are not strong enough. I started having issues with them spreading. It was resolved by adding a spanner bar to pull the bedsides together. I'd recommend limiting how much weight you put on the bedsides. Getting some good vertical support to your bed/frame is a wise idea.

Well that just pretty much ruined my day. RTT is currently sitting on my shell ready to go camping this weekend and then....this.

beavis0076

you will be ok for a trip..
I think its just the extended use than can be an issue.
Member KBVoodoo on the tacoma world forum sells spanner bars.. FYI.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles