Roof Top Tents and wind

Herrawesome

So wrong. If it smells interesting a bear will get right into it, a tent 6’ off the ground will not stop it. I just watched a brown bear crush a 55 gallon steel drum with one paw by leaning on it. A truck or tent won’t stop it at all i forgot it wants in.
We had a California black bear come around our Habitat at night. We had weeks of food inside, but the bear left us alone.
We might’ve been lucky, but I felt safer off the ground.

In a separate occasion a bear broke into the back of our closed Habitat while we were out backpacking. It ripped off the metal lift gate.

Nothing is a guarantee when it comes to bears

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
My plan, is that if my rig starts swaying in the middle of the night and I hear banging, scratching, and chuffing...I will open a window and aim carefully with my bear spray...and spray the bear. If he comes back I might be forced to put a 12 gage in his nose and pull the trigger (I have no wish to kill a bear). Yes, I keep bear spray and a short shotgun with slugs in the RTT at night.

I'd rather wait and watch while a bear screws around outside. I'll be scared to death and it will be a good story to tell, but I will react if Mr. Bear is too persistent. How I react will be up to the bear.

The scenario that bugs me is that there is a bear in camp and I can't leave because I am too scared to leave the RTT to get in the Jeep and drive off (whilst ruining my awning and whatever else because I have no time to put them away).

Does anyone else in the forum regularly camp in an RTT in Grizzly country? Has it ever been a problem?

crazysccrmd

Observer
My plan, is that if my rig starts swaying in the middle of the night and I hear banging, scratching, and chuffing...I will open a window and aim carefully with my bear spray...and spray the bear. If he comes back I might be forced to put a 12 gage in his nose and pull the trigger (I have no wish to kill a bear). Yes, I keep bear spray and a short shotgun with slugs in the RTT at night.

I'd rather wait and watch while a bear screws around outside. I'll be scared to death and it will be a good story to tell, but I will react if Mr. Bear is too persistent. How I react will be up to the bear.

The scenario that bugs me is that there is a bear in camp and I can't leave because I am too scared to leave the RTT to get in the Jeep and drive off (whilst ruining my awning and whatever else because I have no time to put them away).

Does anyone else in the forum regularly camp in an RTT in Grizzly country? Has it ever been a problem?
I did when I had a RTT and never had a problem. Also never had problems sleeping on the ground, in a tent, in a hammock or in my GFC currently.