Roofnest's new Sandpiper Rooftop Tent

Roofnest

Hey everybody, always psyched to be able to share something big and we just released our new hardshell RTT today - the Sandpiper.

This is a fully re-designed and re-engineered version of our popular Sparrow X. The racks and all flanges and backing are aluminum. The shell is a fiberglass-reinforced ABS plastic. We made a bunch of design and material improvements and I'm excited to share it with this community to get feedback and questions. Without further ado...

The Sandpiper

IMG_0039.jpg

Roofnest

Looks somewhat familiar...

Yes - It's very similar to our Sparrow X tent - but the construction, materials, and features are all brand new.

Here's the new Sandpiper:

IMG_0042.jpg

Here's the Sparrow X:

IMG_0304.jpg

Getting the roof rack to sit level was a big goal of the design, as well as retaining the aerodynamics. And then just beefing it up and including several upgrades.

Yes - It's very similar to our Sparrow X tent - but the construction, materials, and features are all brand new.

Here's the new Sandpiper:

View attachment 492972

Here's the Sparrow X:

View attachment 492973

Getting the roof rack to sit level was a big goal of the design, as well as retaining the aerodynamics. And then just beefing it up and including several upgrades.
LoL I don't believe that is the tent he was referring to...

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Looks somewhat familiar...

Yeah, reminds me of something as well....

335754143-battlestar-galactica-film-space-exploration-starlit-sky-star-shape.jpg

Jokes aside, there are several elements of the design I like better on this RTT than other's I've seen. The more squared off shape being one of them.

Roofnest

Lol - well, most hard shell RTT manufacturers are working within a pretty small window of design alternatives (two shells, tent material between, aerodynamic) so they are all reminiscent of each another at the end of the day. We're pretty excited with how the Sandpiper turned out - and we're eager to get feedback from experienced RTT users.

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
We're pretty excited with how the Sandpiper turned out - and we're eager to get feedback from experienced RTT users.

Again, more than willing to trade in my Gordigear and give you all the feedback you want for the free use of a Demonstrator Model. I'd even show up at Expo West and sit in your booth all weekend telling folks about it (provided you're planning on doing Expo).

Roofnest

Again, more than willing to trade in my Gordigear and give you all the feedback you want for the free use of a Demonstrator Model. I'd even show up at Expo West and sit in your booth all weekend telling folks about it (provided you're planning on doing Expo).

Thanks for the offer! We do have an ambassador program but we don't hand out tents - if you'd like to pitch us, email corey@roofnest.com but fair warning, we only offer discounts on purchases based on social media following, engagement, etc etc. We're a small company and these tents are not cheap!

Airmapper

Inactive Member
I like the slim vertical profile but does it still have space for bedding inside? Looks like the accommodation for storage on top may have traded out from the interior room when shut in the middle at least. Unless the foam mattress is thicker than I expect though it seems like it should still have room for bedding spread flat, just make sure the pillows are at the rear maybe?

Ladder intended to store inside the RTT or in the vehicle?

Roofnest

I like the slim vertical profile but does it still have space for bedding inside? Looks like the accommodation for storage on top may have traded out from the interior room when shut in the middle at least. Unless the foam mattress is thicker than I expect though it seems like it should still have room for bedding spread flat, just make sure the pillows are at the rear maybe?

Ladder intended to store inside the RTT or in the vehicle?

Yes - there is always a balance of needs.... low profile to fit inside garages and improve gas mileage but less room for storage. You are correct that bedding can be stored when laid flat with pillows at rear (or front). There is a rounded shape to the lower, middle section of the top so there is still some room in there.

I always store the ladder in the vehicle for 2 main reasons: 1, the ladder is often in the dirt and I think of the inside of the tent as my bed - so I don't want to put a ladder into my bed. And 2, when you park you'll want to use your ladder to get into the tent - rather than need to get into the tent to get your ladder (not as much of a big deal on shorter cars..)

NudeLobster

Just out of curiosity, is there anything obstructing you guys from creating a hard shell that has no load bars and is as thin as the middle section below the load bars? The only thing I could see is the compression of pillows but if the bedding fits in there then it looks like you guys could lose the load bars and have a tent that was around 7" thick when closed (ballparked off the fact that this model with load bars is 11.5")?

the compromise of an authoritarian HOA that does not allow parking outside the garage...

Roofnest

Just out of curiosity, is there anything obstructing you guys from creating a hard shell that has no load bars and is as thin as the middle section below the load bars? The only thing I could see is the compression of pillows but if the bedding fits in there then it looks like you guys could lose the load bars and have a tent that was around 7" thick when closed (ballparked off the fact that this model with load bars is 11.5")?

We have this in the works - there are a few design considerations on our end which we want to achieve so our design process is a little more lengthy than it might seem it should be. Stay tuned and thanks for the question!

rnArmy

Adventurer
I like it. How do you attach crossbars to the built-in bars so you can attach things (like a kayak mount)?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online