Rotating solar panel

VanDominator13

Observer
Looking for a frame or bracket of some kind that I can mount to the roof of my AT Habitat that has a hinge so that the panel can face the sun when driving and then fold out to use when parked. Something similar to the setup used on the Skinny Guy camper. I can’t seem to find anything close to it that I can use for my application.

Skinny guy pic for reference

f18568c22e5db8d166159dde1304d6bf.jpg

VanDominator13

Observer
That's not a bad idea.
I've tossed around the idea of putting a roof rack on the truck, but I'm a little hesitant to start drilling holes before I even get the Habitat and see if it works for my needs. If the Habitat doesn't fit my needs then a slide in camper of some kind is in my future and the roof rack will most likely have to be removed. If I do end up with a roof rack on the truck, I'd rather keep it available for recovery equipment and other gear that can be accessed from the tent when its open.
Because the roof on the habitat needs to be flipped upside down when deployed it limits the amount of gear and whatnot that can be carried on it, so the flip-out/rotating solar panel is my first choice.

GlennA

Adventurer
I think you could DIY a mounting system to achieve your goal. Mount your solar panel face up near the edge of the Habitat; hinged on one side and pinned on the other. When you open the Habitat, unpin the panel and rotate the panel on the hinged edge. This will require supplemental support on the outboard edge of the panel. Obviously, there will be some trial and error.

billiebob

I almost went that way.... being a satillite dish installer I considered using a satillite dish bracket. Fully adjustable, light and plenty strong/rigid for a solar panel..... today those dish brackets are virtually free what with smart tvs.

Might need some imagination for your setup.

51pFOO12A9S._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

VanDominator13

Observer
I think you could DIY a mounting system to achieve your goal. Mount your solar panel face up near the edge of the Habitat; hinged on one side and pinned on the other. When you open the Habitat, unpin the panel and rotate the panel on the hinged edge. This will require supplemental support on the outboard edge of the panel. Obviously, there will be some trial and error.

Yes! this is what I'm trying to find. If I need to have it fabricated so be it. I was just curious if anyone knew of any existing brackets that I wasn't privy to.

VanDominator13

Observer
Looking as if I'm going to go with the Cascadia hood mounted solar panel to save roof space. It's only 85w, we'll see if it's enough for my needs. If not, Mario from AT has mentioned that they might have something in the works for a panel that mounts to the roof and swings out.

Looking as if I'm going to go with the Cascadia hood mounted solar panel to save roof space. It's only 85w, we'll see if it's enough for my needs. If not, Mario from AT has mentioned that they might have something in the works for a panel that mounts to the roof and swings out.
Have you installed the Cascadia hood solar panel yet? Is it enough solar to keep up with your needs?

VanDominator13

Observer
Have you installed the Cascadia hood solar panel yet? Is it enough solar to keep up with your needs?

I haven’t installed it yet. Waiting to get my hood vinyl wrapped before I put it on. I don’t use that much power to begin with, and out 100w Renogy panel is more than we need, I think the 85w hood panel should be enough. As soon as I get it mounted and take it out for a trip I’ll give and update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update.... I bought the panel and have been running it for the last 6 weeks.... here is the take away. I use my fridge everyday and it never turns off, I eat out of my truck 6 days a week on the jobsite.

First off, here is the gear being used.... Iceco VL75 pro with both sides set to 32 degrees F (fridge location is inside the cab)... Jackery 500 (located inside the center console)... F150 solar panel hood from Lensun Solar. Remember, I live in Central Texas average weather involved is about 95 degrees F for what I'm gonna post below, winter time (avg 40) and middle of summer (avg 103) will yield different results.

Okay, the Jackery 500 will run the Iceco for about 20 hours and I plug the jackery into shore power and charge overnight while it is still powering the fridge, 100% by the time I leave for work. I needed something to ensure the Jackery would not die when I park the truck at a campsite for the weekend... what I have found is that the Solar panel offsets the juice pulled from the fridge, so the percentage of battery drops at night..... so below is the schedule I have found for the battery running the fridge. And these are averages, I'm not a scientist, but I did drop out of medical school, so I'm basically a doctor in New Jersey hahaha.

Day #1 - 6am - Battery 100%
- 7pm - Battery 100%
Day #2 - 6am - Battery 60/65%
- 7pm - Battery 60/65%
Day #3 - 6am - Battery 20/25%
- 7pm - Battery 20/25%
Day #4 - 6am - Battery 0%

So all in all this is a range extender, not and off-grid solution. Hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles