RTT mount to 1.5” round bar

Sclarkie

So I just installed my new bed rack and then my RTT. Instead of using the straight bars that are included with the mounting hardware, I wanted something cleaner to attach to the round 1.5” pipe. I ended up using pipe straps (see pics) doubled up. The whole things feels strong and tight, but I really don’t trust these for any extended time on rough terrain. Does anyone have an idea what I can use that is sturdier- steel, aluminum, etc.?
EC1EAF8A-F97E-4133-8355-5A851DF58A32.jpeg

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I love their claim that someone can unbolt your tent in “under a minute” and drive away with it! When I was using the factory mounts, dismounting was a minimum hour-long contortionist ordeal that involved a gear wrench, a ladder, and a lot of swearing. An arm with 3 elbows would have helped. The only way I could think of a dismount in under a minute is using a Sawzall on the rack and taking that chunk with it... you would still need several people...

crazysccrmd

Observer
Two people with two battery powered drivers would probably take about a minute or two for the OP’s style of bed mounted tent. Roof mounted or hard to access nuts would be slower but this style is dead simple to remove.

DCH109

Adventurer
Agreed, bed type mount should be secured. Then again, you could just cut the cross rails. 2 guys 2 battery operated sawzalls Ior like) 5-10 min cut and go. Or the cut the mounts to the vehicle roof. Either way getting it off is the easy part.
Thieves are not exactly careful when they steal stuff. I knew guys (not me or friends of mine) who would use a crowbar to remove a dash pad or panel to pull a stereo and use large wire cutters to cut the harness off. They do not care.

The only secure RTT is the one stored in your garage and even then.....

Exhaust hangers (get stainless) are a great solution for pipe,

Scoutman

Explorer
Look into these clamps from McMaster Carr. They are lined with a TPU rubber with no rattles or loosening of hardware. THey're pretty substantial compared to the OP's clamps and don't have hardware hanging down like the exhaust clamps do. There are many sizes to choose from but not all are as thick as the ones I used. I've been using them for 2.5 yrs now with no issues and they were only $4 each.

img_20160921_193829504_hdr-medium-jpg.428104

8f4c5288632da4e5d366e28f86984fa0.jpg

My post from the improving your rtt thread.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles