RTT Owners - Double Wide Sleeping Bag or Sheets + Comforter?

SnoViking

Adventurer
Hey All, So I'm going back and forth on whether I should go with a double wide sleeping bag, or sheets and a comforter style setup for our new Tepiu when my wife and I use it. I can kinda see pros and cons with each but I'm hoping for some insight and experiences for the community. Got any pros and cons?

Thanks!

vegasjeepguy

Adventurer
From the first time out with my RTT it's always been sheets and comforters. The most comfortable sleep I've had camping especially when sharing the tent with my wife. I've tried double wide sleeping bags and found we always fight over the bag and pull at it through out the night.

Last edited:

Evil weevil

You could try something kinda in between the two they have quilt style sleeping bags with a foot box ,they are so awesome ,we bought a zpacks quilt for my wife and I they are kinda pricey but we have used it lots back packing so it was a good choice for us as it saved room an was super light for backpacking not that you would be concerned with the weight , my wife sleeps cold and I'm usually pretty warm so I can kick my feet out nice and easy and she can stay wrapped up we never found our selfs fighting for covers .
If you went with a zpacks they custom make them to whatever size you would like I can't say enough how happy I am with there product and with the quilt style , I would never go back to a regular sleeping bag by choice now also I know there are a few other companies that have this style to offer also and some may be a bit cheaper also

I tried to post a link but it won't let me as I am new I guess

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Trust me, there is less room in a double wide sleeping bag than the size suggests, especially when occupied by two. It's a trailer, sheets and a comforter are going to give each party the mobility to move about and the flexibility to regulate their own temperature/comfort much easier than wedged together into a double wide sleeping bag.

Mass_Mopar

Don't Litter
For us - wintertime it's a double wide bag plug lots of other things - sleeping pads under each side, sometimes an additional bag, and lots o blankets like a few weeks ago when it was 15 at night.

Summertime - sheets and light comforter

Even our pup fits in the doublewide bag we have.
20160306_071612.jpg

brentbba

Explorer
I've got an Eezi-Awn Globetrotter and finding that the dimensions of most of the double wide bags are both too long and too wide for the mattress. Zipper on my 10 year old bag has taken a dump so been looking for a double wide or extra width single bag to give me a little more room. I'm not big or heavy at 5'10" and 200lbs, just like the extra room. Been debating the sheet/comforter route too!

Yarjammer

Wellreadneck
We do pretty much the same as Mass_MOPAR. The big positive to the sheets/comforter approach is that the RTT becomes truly self contained (our double bag makes closing it too big a PIA to leave it inside).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles