RTT Rack for my M416

Flyfishjeep

Adventurer
I recently purchased a Silverwing RTT and want to make a rack to mount it on my M416. I think I am going to use 1 1/2 inch angle iron and make a frame that tucks inside the frame of the trailer. I will then weld on 3 cross bars. I would like to attach it to the trailer with some kind of clamping system so that I can remove the rack with the tent still attached and make it a ground tent so I can use the trailer for hauling or whatever. Looking for some input from all of you expert fabricators for some pics or ideas of how to mount without drilling through the tub and making the rack easily (other than the 200 lbs it will way with the tent attached LOL) from the trailer. Thanks in advance

jays0n

Adventurer
I've seen people have good luck with these no weld rack systems from Compact Camping Concepts, might be able to use them or perhaps as an idea? You would have to come up with a way to not drill the tub, personally I would bolt that thing to the tub, RTTs weigh upwards of 150lbs and sitting on the top edge of the tub I'd want to be sure it was very secure.

https://compactcampingstore.com/products/no-weld-trailer-racks

A couple thoughts:

You could use telescoping tubing, larger on the bottom and smaller on the top. You could set the tent rack legs into the tubing fixed to the trailer and use a bolt from the side to secure the tubing pieces together but you will need to attach that tubing to the tub some how.

You could also have brackets welded to the frame that extend slightly beyond the tub then build a rack that attaches to the brackets, all outside the tub like an exoskeleton.

My trailer has a fiberglass tub and I wanted it to rase and lower electrically so my rack is a combination of the two methods :)

Last edited:

krick3tt

Adventurer
I had a trailer (M416A) that carried a RTT. I made brackets that bolted to the tub to carry the tent. I used round pipe with a brass bushing to center a 1/2 inch all-thread rod that supported the tent. Had the brackets bent at a metal shop to the angle of the tub and used large washers and a backup plate inside the tub.

Attachments

• CIMG3581.JPG
    CIMG3581.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 106
  • DSC01181.JPG
    DSC01181.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 112
  • CIMG3584.JPG
    CIMG3584.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 103

Flyfishjeep

Adventurer
I am trying to avoid drilling/welding to the trailer. I am going to make a frame using 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 angle iron to male a frame that sits just inside of the trailer bed and sits on the round tube of the trailer. I am looking for suggestions or ideas that folks have used to attach (clamp) items to the trailer. I want the whole thing removable so that I can just pick up the rack (leaving the tent on it) and set it outside of the trailer when I am camping out. But love the information, links and photos you have shared so far

jays0n

Adventurer
Nice setup krick3tt, looks very similar to the "No-Weld Rack stuff I linked earlier, you were a visionary :)

Interesting idea, like a pickup truck camper sort of thing? If you build the "rim" out of angle iron you'll still need to mount "load bars" of some sort on top to mount the tent as they are usually expecting to be mounted to cross bars for support. Once you solve that issue you could just use pickup truck bed rail clamps depending on how thick that top tube is, or C-clamps. The main issue you're going to have is weight, you'll be well over 200lbs with that frame and bars and the tent, will you be able to remove that from the trailer when camping out? Curious why you would want to make that thing a ground tent, the main advantage of a roof top tent is that you aren't on the ground :)

Flyfishjeep

Adventurer
jays0n....with rack removable, the RTT will still be off the ground. I work on my property clearing dead brush/trees, mill wood for lumber and haul firewood to camp. All of this is work that having a trailer is a whole lot easier. I am usually in there 4-5 times a summer and my stay is usually 3-7 days. I don't like having the RTT on top of the jeep as it gets used a lot to. Figured just pop the rack/RTT on a level pad, tent is still off the ground, and the jeep and trailer are ready for work. I will post some pictures as this project becomes a reality. Thanks for the input.

Flyfishjeep

Adventurer
I had a little time to day to start on the rack using 3/16 inch and a half angle iron. Fits perfect. Tomorrow I hope to get the towers and cross bars welded on

Attachments

• IMG_8774.JPG
    IMG_8774.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 95
  • IMG_8773.JPG
    IMG_8773.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 92

Flyfishjeep

Adventurer

I got a lot done today and a friend stopped by to see the progress. He came up with a great idea that I will tackle tomorrow. Here are a few pictures from today (I will take pictures of his idea and share tomorrow).

Flyfishjeep

Adventurer
So one of my friends stops by and suggests using the handles on the tub to attach to the rack frame. Today I cut four slots in the angle iron to feed straps through. A quick trip and less than $10 at Harbor Freight and I am all done. Straps are rated at over 300 lbs a piece so I imagine this will hold the rack to the tub just fine. 518343View attachment 518340518342

Attachments

• IMG_8790 (1).JPG
    IMG_8790 (1).JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 42

77TLCFJ40

Nice work so far. I don’t think I could trust a high dollar tent to be safely held on using those straps going thru slots with sharp edges that could fray and cut the straps over time especially on bumpy roads. You might consider welding a tab on the frame and secure it using turnbuckles or ratchet straps with metal hooks down to the handles.

Last edited:

jays0n

Adventurer
The plan is for someone to pick that up and remove it from the trailer, then set it on the ground? Does your tow rig have a boom hoist on it? :) Looks heavy!

Flyfishjeep

Adventurer
The rack worked great on its first run. The straps were perfect and not one bit of movement (unless I wanted it to move. Thinking about possibly hinging the rack to one side so that I can load a bit easier. I may build a system to add supports (removable) for an awning next.

CBeckFJ

would a truck bed rack work on an M416? Plenty of manufacturers make telescoping truck bed racks which would be perfect for my needs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles