RTT/Trailer Hybrid.(Not quite Rooftop)

Madcapwoodwright

Hello all!

The 80-series Landcruiser has seen many miles since purchase two years ago. It has now become time to add to it's capability by adding a RTT. Sleeping on the ground for so many years has become tiresome as I enter my dotage.

In that vein, I had always intended to buy a RTT and camp that way, but with a 70# mutt, and a wife with knees that ache like my back does, we went on a spree of daydreaming through what set up would work best for us.
As a kid, I used to go camping with a favorite aunt&uncle. They had an Attex pop-up camper that was the picture of simplicity and diminutive size. Alas, these are now un-obtainium.
The concept was sound though, light weight, manuverable by a single person, no frills, and basic. A tent, on a trailer.
After seeing many, VERY expensive adventure trailers with RTT's , I wondered if I could make something like it for us?
I ended up buying a 5x8 utility trailer from Tractor Supply Company ($750) and a TuffStuff Delta Overland RTT (ships June 30) and plan to mount the tent, opening toward the back.
Add in some leveling/stability legs and a new ice chest, and I anticipate a capable (for the moderate Backcountry type camping we do) low profile adventure trailer, with the added utility of a trailer we can haul stuff on when not outfitted for camping.

The plan calls for mounting 1"x1" tube steel across the top rail of the trailer, and mounting the delta to them. I plan to double them up (three pairs) two per cross member, bolted to the trailers top rail for peace of mind.

Can any of you offer any constructive critique of this plan?

The only sticking point so far is what to do about the oversized tailgate/ramp. Current plans call for either dripping it down when set up at camp, or folding it flat on the trailer floor. Removal is not an option as it is permanently affixed. It may get cut off later....still an unknown.

Thoughts?

1000arms

... I ended up buying a 5x8 utility trailer from Tractor Supply Company ($750) and a TuffStuff Delta Overland RTT (ships June 30) and plan to mount the tent, opening toward the back. ...The plan calls for mounting 1"x1" tube steel across the top rail of the trailer, and mounting the delta to them. I plan to double them up (three pairs) two per cross member, bolted to the trailers top rail for peace of mind. ... The only sticking point so far is what to do about the oversized tailgate/ramp. Current plans call for either dripping it down when set up at camp, or folding it flat on the trailer floor. Removal is not an option as it is permanently affixed. It may get cut off later....still an unknown.

Thoughts?
You might consider attaching some folding legs to the tailgate/ramp. It could be the porch for your RTT. Maybe rig an annex for your RTT that rests on the tailgate/porch-ramp?

You might also consider welding the tubing to some flat bar, and bolt the flat bar to the trailer rail without being concerned about crushing the tubing.

ITTOG

I would definitely put jacks on the ramp and make it a porch. You could even get on of those pop up canopies for cover. This would give a place to take off shoes and things before getting into the tent. Buy walls for the canopy and you have a cheap change room.

How tall are the rails on the trailer. Will the space under the tent be wasted or is it tall enough to store stuff under it. If too short you may raise it some to use for sliding bins with your clothes under it.

Lastly, if you are opening the tent to the back you could just drop the ramp all the way and then flip the tent over it to save space on the trailer in the front.

Lots of possibilities.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Madcapwoodwright

Tent will be mounted fully front, opening to the rear.

The rails are short. So room for storage if I build drawers under the tent, or find boxes that can slide under. Maybe a foot or so tall under the tent. So room for storage, but maybe not so much in the way of tubs.

Open, the tent and the trailer are both roughly 8' long., So the porch would be a great addition.

Loving these ideas.

Thanks again....

1000arms

You might consider attaching some folding legs to the tailgate/ramp. It could be the porch for your RTT. Maybe rig an annex for your RTT that rests on the tailgate/porch-ramp?

You might also consider welding the tubing to some flat bar, and bolt the flat bar to the trailer rail without being concerned about crushing the tubing.
Ok, thanks for this response. Exactly the kind of brainstorming I was hoping for!

Thanks!
Tent will be mounted fully front, opening to the rear.

The rails are short. So room for storage if I build drawers under the tent, or find boxes that can slide under. Maybe a foot or so tall under the tent. So room for storage, but maybe not so much in the way of tubs.

Open, the tent and the trailer are both roughly 8' long., So the porch would be a great addition.

Loving these ideas.

Thanks again....
You are welcome.

You might want to use several tube/flat-bar crossmembers for the "landing area" where the tent opens ups. Maybe even use some 3/4" #9 expanded metal mesh (flat, NOT twisted/raised) welded to the "landing area" cross-members? Make sure it wouldn't cause any wear of the tent, but it would likely make the tent more comfortable and stable.

You might want to mount a wind-deflector/gravel-guard to keep tire spray off the tent.

If you hadn't already ordered the RTT, I'd suggest using a ground tent placed on a platform bolted to the top-rails of the trailer. I've included the idea for anyone else reading this thread. :)

You could mount a deep cycle battery (in a battery box) for running a fan/LED-lights/...

ricoisme26

i was looking into building a RTT trailer myself when one popped up on my local facebook market place last week, bought it that night. It too is a tractor supply 5x8 utility trailer though the previous owner had uprights welded on and the cross bars connecting them to mount the RTT. they appear to be 1"x1" square tubing, the cross bars were attached sitting on a corner of tubing, said this was done to better attach the tent, i can take pictures if you'd like in case this method works better for attaching you. I haven't gotten to use the trailer yet, looking to this coming weekend, i also have a 75lb dog and it will be interesting getting him in and out since its elevated, not quite as high as on a roof but still a climb to get up and in

my trailer build page - https://www.expeditionportal.com/fo...-top-tent-trailer-harold.216405/#post-2801777

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles