RTT Trailers - lidded tub vs pullout and cubbies

kf4zht

Been thinking about building a trailer for a mix of long weekend trips, maybe some extended stuff. I think I like the rtt tent style over the teardrop, if just due to having most of the materials on hand to build one.

I see 2 common styles of them on here - the "lidded tub" and the "cubby style". The lidded tub seems to be common due to the availability of used small military trailers. I can see the advantages of flexibility in storage, ease of construction. However it seems like it may be a pain if you forget something you needed after the tent is deployed, plus you have to worry more about cargo control.

On the other side you have ones built with drawers, pullouts, cubbies, drop down tables and more. I can see some real advantages here - can get to everything with the tent open, everything is somewhat already cargo controlled, easier to keep it packed and you have some of the tables and related items already built in. Downside is a more complex build, and you could potentially do a design you hate and create a lot of rework.

I'm leaning toward the cubby style, I have a decent supply of 2x2 tubing and dozens of heavy duty drawer slides. I wanted to hear some opinions from people who have used one or the other.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Mccool

Observer
I built the tub style so I may be slightly biased...

Construction was far more simple, that was a main reason. I built a telescoping tent rack, so access is no problem even with the tent deployed.

I do think the cubby style trailers are neat and I like that everything has it's place, but like you said "what if I hate my design"?

Also, 2x2 square tubing will be great for the trailer frame but super overkill for the box portion. It will get heavy, fast.

This is exactly the reason I put a tailgate on my M100. I can still get into the trailer when the tent is up. However, I find that most of the stuff comes out before the tent goes up anyway, i.e. camping chairs, bedding (in the North Face bag), table, grill, cooler, etc. Having access to the trailer helps especially if you are leaving your stuff with the trailer (taking the truck somewhere) as it gives you a place to secure everything and lock it up.

IMG_2693.jpg

Porkchopexpress

I also would like to build a camper trailer but am solidly decided on the tub style. Besides the fact my skill is limited precluding complex drawer systems, I would like to be able to take the tent off and use it as a utility trailer on occasion. I live in a city so I don’t have a lot of space for vehicles and the versatility is worth it to me.

kf4zht

I also would like to build a camper trailer but am solidly decided on the tub style. Besides the fact my skill is limited precluding complex drawer systems, I would like to be able to take the tent off and use it as a utility trailer on occasion. I live in a city so I don’t have a lot of space for vehicles and the versatility is worth it to me.
Not going to pretend it isn't 10x harder. Drawers out of wood are enough of a pain, and drawer slides are unforgiving.

I was considering an internal frame of 8020. I built this bench a while back out of it with really good luck, including drawers. It's super light and you could reconfigure it with an Allen key if needed.
This is exactly the reason I put a tailgate on my M100. I can still get into the trailer when the tent is up. However, I find that most of the stuff comes out before the tent goes up anyway, i.e. camping chairs, bedding (in the North Face bag), table, grill, cooler, etc. Having access to the trailer helps especially if you are leaving your stuff with the trailer (taking the truck somewhere) as it gives you a place to secure everything and lock it up.

View attachment 444493
Yeah, i think I would have to do the tailgate thing. I did consider something of a hybrid, where the tailgate had a divider behind it that separated the kitchen stuff but it could be removed/hinged to gain access into the tub.
bc250458ba1a345aab038bd82a5d9143.jpg

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

FosterWV

Baller On A Budget
I started to build a hinge lid, but decided on a box with doors. A rear fold down tailgate style door would make a hinged lid trailer nice too.
I'd like to build a rear drawer soon.

Attachments

• IMG_7824.JPG
    IMG_7824.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_7807.JPG
    IMG_7807.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 33
my trailer build is based around what my needs when traveling to shows and events are. and thats a utility trailer with the supplies for the booth/product etc inside, and a tent is secondary. I've spent the last couple years camping in a van, but the van is gone and now I'm in a 2 door Jeep JK. I'm not averse to ground tent camping, but i think a tent on the trailer will be much nicer, especially with regard to setup and take down. i roll pretty minimalist even in a car.

in my case, its a tub with lid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles