Rubber boot between truck and shell

Photobug

My previous truck had a rubber boot between shell and truck. If I remember correctly I could squeeze between the two. Either the newer windows between have gotten narrower or I have gotten wider and I no longer fit. Still it would be nice to have a water seal between these two cabins as we sleep in the back and the dogs sleep in the cab.

Anyone got these boots in their truck? Any input on these?

This is the first thing that popped up in a search.

https://www.custompickup.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=18

Oilbrnr

My current and prior ARE shells had/have a full perimeter boot (ie no window in the shell) primarily for the pooches to get some airflow back to them. Squeaked on the 2005 GMC as the frame flexed a lot, zero squeak on the RAM as there is little/no flex. No water leaks, but it will rub the paint off the cab when/if you remove the shell.

As to getting through the window, I can't fit my shoulders though so wasn't a concern in the first place.

Photobug

My current and prior ARE shells had/have a full perimeter boot (ie no window in the shell) primarily for the pooches to get some airflow back to them. Squeaked on the 2005 GMC as the frame flexed a lot, zero squeak on the RAM as there is little/no flex. No water leaks, but it will rub the paint off the cab when/if you remove the shell.

As to getting through the window, I can't fit my shoulders though so wasn't a concern in the first place.

Is your Ram a diesel? When people talk about the noise or squeaks from their racks i pretty much dismiss it because the diesel is loud enough to make any other noise not a concern.

My truck has the two windows so I might get my shoulders through but my back would not like the effort. I would also like to potentially have a propane heater in the cab so heat can radiate into the shell area.

Oilbrnr

Its a Power Wagon so in my case 6.4. The squeak comes from flex between the cab and bed which meant on the GMC the boot would move slightly around the perimeter of the cab window. Rubber against paint, err, metal. No noise at all from the RAM. Of course, with the window open I can hear anything that is loose gear wise in the bed like the slider for the fridge.

I'm not sure you'd get much heat from the cab into the shell from a heater, certainly not enough to offset the loss that you'd get from the windows and the shell itself.

But the boot really does a great job of sealing. No water or dust.

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
How about using a bike tube?

My concern with that boot or a bike tube would be dirt getting between the cab/shell/boot and just jacking the paint up. Maybe remove the windows from both shell and truck and get one of these?

Photobug

I am not concerned about the paint. I tend to drive a vehicle into the dust. I have so much invested in this truck i would likely replace the engine or any other component if it were to break.

Now that I think about it a squeak may bother me. It is one thing to ignore a rattle or wind noise under the sound of a diesel but a constant squeak could drive me crazy. I am thinking about a time I had to drive a U-haul from Texas to Seattle and the overhead portion over the cab had something squeaking the whole time, it sucked.

My closest shop that works on trucks and camper shells does not offer these boos but only this one product, which I am thinking of trying out first.

https://www.custompickup.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=178

Photobug

I'm not sure you'd get much heat from the cab into the shell from a heater, certainly not enough to offset the loss that you'd get from the windows and the shell itself.

I have camped out comfortable into the 30s no problem. That was before I added insulation to the windows. If it does get colder I have a Mr. Heater that I could place somewhere in the cab and the heat would radiate into the shell.

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-F2...ocphy=9029376&hvtargid=pla-272328547662&psc=1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz