Rubicon or Sahara

mobydick 11

so I went by my local jeep dealer today to see if they had any used JK unlimited in stock . They only had one . what they did have is a left over brand new 2017 Sahara fully loaded with leather . he also had a brand new 2019 Rubicon loaded ,black beautiful rig . so this is part of the question for $18,000 difference in price would you pick the Sahara ? My goal is to put a Ursa Minor top on it and outfit it for a trip to the Yukon and Alaska . the Dealer said the Sahara would get much better gas millage . I will have to drive across Canada to start my trip ,so lots of hi way miles involved . please keep in mind I am 65 years young and look at 4 wheel drive as something to get me out of trouble ,not into it . But honestly I could never bring myself to pay the price for the Rubicon .I have looked at a couple of used Rubicons ,but they had been run hard . Just wondering what people with experience think, is the Sahara up to the job? Thanks

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
I bought a JK Sahara instead of Rubicon about 12 years ago. To be fair, I didn't know what "lockers" were back then. In all that time I've never actually needed lockers. Not even the two times I went "snow wheelin'" with the boys.

Others might know better about the minute differences between the Sahara and Rubicon. The Sahara gets you all the power interior goodies. I guess it depends on if you need lockers and a heavier front axle.

You can get aftermarket lockers for a heck of a lot less than 18K. The difference will pay for your Ursa Minor (as I'm sure you realize).

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Your post is confusing. The Sahara is $18k lower? It might be the better deal. When you start adding a lot of weight you will want some deeper gearing. You might want to plan on a gear swap, easily covered by $18k, and you can get lockers then too if you want to. One of the great things about the Rubicon is the lower ratio transfer case. It is also annoying sometimes. I wish I had all 3 transfer case ratios quite often instead of just high and really low. You might also want the heavier front axle (lots of people will have a million opinions about the front axles and whether or not they are any better). If you are adding a camper you are probably changing lots of electrics inside anyway, so the rest of the Rubicon interior features might not matter much.

In the end, only you can decide if you are happy with how you spend your money.

Easy answer - get the Sahara!

I still daily drive my 1998 Jeep TJ Sport with stock open differentials.

I have been off road countless times and the only three times I got stuck I simply used my Warn, less than a $1,000 winch, to unstuck myself.

I have taken this Jeep on three Jeep Jamborees and did the Vermont Overland Rally and NEVER had an issue that would have required a locker.

Save yourself that excess Rubicon money, and for added insurance buy a quality winch, appropriate recovery gear and either quality A/T or M/T tires, then wheel on up to Alaska in that Sahara and drive it like you stole it and put that extra 18k for your trip!

Last edited:

ratled

Adventurer
Rubi for a bunch of reasons.

Without lockers you don't have true 4wd. The first time you hit that EZ button you know you made the right choice.
The Rubi gives you a somewhat better axle up front and more appropriate gears.
You will be over weight - we all do it- more so for you if you are properly outfitted and will be better served with a stronger rated rig.

I know the AlCan is better than it use to be but AAA isn't. 15 minutes away. You might not look for trouble but it will find you on that trip. Even today I would still carry 2 spares and a good tire kit. I would armor the underside some above the Rubi package too. You never stated if you would be solo or part of a group

The Sahara gives you no performance upgrades just feel good features. You might consider a Sport for even less and then put all the goodies on it. I run a JKU HR as my DD but don't have a commute and am very happy I went Rubi.

Just my short answer, best of luck

ratled

Rubi. I had a 2008 rubicon and ran it to 175k sold it for 11.5. Bought a new jl rubicon fully loaded. Loved them both. But when you are comparing the 2 you need to break it down. More. What is the gear ratio of the Sahara 373 or 321. Second. Since you don’t what kind of conditions you will encounter you really should look at lockers. Which means rubicon. Third you can put 35s on a 2018 Rubi jl. This is what I did. Don’t buy from a dealer local to you. I live in San Diego and bought my. Jl in Idaho. There. Are 2 dealers there that you can order from directly and pay 7% under dealer invoice. Which saves you about 10k next you order it how you want. For me that was cold weather package. Yes it gets down into the forties in San Diego once or twice. Hint I am 65 too and sometimes I need a little warmth. Then get the steel bumper package and you can add a winch without getting new bumpers. You can add pretty. Much anything else you want. Heated seats leather tow package aux power switches for off road lights etc.

I think that your dealer is asking a premium and the Sahara is pretty discounted. When you start. Comparing those two numbers to what you can actually get a jl for .
Just to really throw a wrench into look at a rubicon gladiator. JT think about an at habitat on the bed heck if you have got the money and time. Maybe a diesel JT truck.
By the way there are several dealer across the country offering those kind of deals.

mobydick 11

Thanks for the feed back . so first off I will check what gears the Sahara has . I do realize the the Rubicon is a much more capable jeep . but if 90% of the trip is on paved and gravel roads , and 10 % dirt . then the sahara sort of wins out for me . plus after the trip it is my main transport . I am in Canada so are prices are a little different and higher taxes . so the Rubi list for 62 grand with tax out the door close to 70 !!! . the sahara is 52 list 10g off so price before tax was 42,000 .. I am waiting for dealer to get back to me on my trade in value . Honestly I could not bring myself to shell out the money for a new rubi , it would have to be a used one . did i mention the Sahara comes with a full warranty. Guess my question should have been ,used Rubicon or new Sahara . sorry for that ,but thanks for your input . O and wife me and dog traveling unless we hook up with others along the way. thanks

rkj__

Adventurer
Lately, my wife and I have been dreaming about getting her a Wrangler. She cares more about the Alpine audio and paint colour than lockers and sway bar disconnects, as she would only use it for on-road driving, as many buyers do.

Myself, having an interest in off road driving, was initially thinking, "It's a Wrangler, ya gotta get the Rubicon" for the odd time I would steal it and take it wheeling. But, the reality is that would not happen often, and you can have a lot of fun playing within the Sahara's capabilities. My last off road vehicle was a lifted GMC Canyon, and a Sahara would be able to keep up with it.

There are plenty of YouTube videos that show the use of the Wrangler's BLD (Brake Lock Differential), and it appears to work incredibly well for those articulated sections where you lift a wheel.

A Sahara would serve us fine. But, none of it matters right now, since we definitely can't afford a JL at the moment, and won't be able to any time soon.

rubicon91

Explorer
I would get the Sahara all day long. Do you plan to lift the Jeep? I will tell you the rear springs will probably sag from the weight of the J30 and gear but that can easily be swapped out. Most likely the sahara will have 3.21 gears. You would want to regear depending on if lifting or not. While you are regearing add a rear locker and maybe a front one and some sway bar disconnects. You are all set. Go enjoy the Jeep and save that Money that you would spend on a rubicon and travel on it. The lower transfer case who cares most of the time if not all the time you will not even need or realize it. Nothing I have done with my Rubicon and J30 setup I could not have done on a sport or a sahara with some proper upgrades. I only have the Rubicon as the price difference was so little it didnt make sense not to get the Rubicon. Your biggest issue will be weight of the Jeep with the J30 and gear. Big brake kit would probably be smart also.

GB_Willys_2014

Do you want a full factory warranty?

Do you mind the extra step/headache of aftermarket products and installation?

If you answer Yes and Yes, then get the Rubicon.

Personally, I would save the $18K, but my answer to the above is No and No.

Bobzdar

Observer
so I went by my local jeep dealer today to see if they had any used JK unlimited in stock . They only had one . what they did have is a left over brand new 2017 Sahara fully loaded with leather . he also had a brand new 2019 Rubicon loaded ,black beautiful rig . so this is part of the question for $18,000 difference in price would you pick the Sahara ? My goal is to put a Ursa Minor top on it and outfit it for a trip to the Yukon and Alaska . the Dealer said the Sahara would get much better gas millage . I will have to drive across Canada to start my trip ,so lots of hi way miles involved . please keep in mind I am 65 years young and look at 4 wheel drive as something to get me out of trouble ,not into it . But honestly I could never bring myself to pay the price for the Rubicon .I have looked at a couple of used Rubicons ,but they had been run hard . Just wondering what people with experience think, is the Sahara up to the job? Thanks

Get the Sahara, I don't think you need what the Rubicon has. I'd add a winch and good tires depending on what comes on it (the Bridgestone duelers are good and I know some came with those) and go have fun.

NMRubicon

Observer
I have never regretted buying the Rubicon package, I am on my 3rd, the lockers have saved my bacon more than a few times, and on the super steep terrain I drive, the low range is a godsend for hill descent without needing to ride the brakes all the way, helps with control too. I really don't care about the bells and whistles inside, but I do appreciate the mechanicals.

Yarjammer

Wellreadneck
Unless you're leaving it with stock tires and not planning on true rock crawling, get the Sahara. The only Rubi items you'd have left are a better crawl ratio xfer case, a hood sticker, and a different front diff housing (the only difference between a D30 and the made for Jeep D44 on a JK/JKU)... I'd toss the Eaton E-lockers. I started with a sport and have zero regrets being able to source better lockers than factory. Had I started with a Rubi, I would've had a much more expensive junk pile. Front/rear air lockers, compressor, diff covers, regear for larger tires, lift, and larger tires, wheels (stock are or 7.5" vice 8" or 9" wide) will set you back $7K-$9K installed. Bumpers, winch, side protection/steps will likely will be another $4K. You'd still be $5K ahead than having bought the Rubi and could put that money towards your Ursa Minor.

I'd be a little wary of a 2yr old holdover on the Sahara. Is it a weird color combo or is it a flood vehicle transferred to hide its "pedigree"? The 18K difference is also due to model year, not just trim level. As a side note, the MPGs comment applies right up until you modify them and then you end up with the exact same MPGs regardless of which trim level it is.

Moby check out the JL forum and I think you can find better deals> I don't know if you could buy inthe us and import I owuld look into that too. In the beginning of your post. you said you wanted a jeep to get you out of troube not inot it. That is sort of the definaion of the difference between a rubi and sah. As for daily driver . Mine is a daily driver it is very comfortable and just plain fun to drive, and I am 65 too. Ues the propper tool for the jobas my dad told me. In my view the rubi is the proper tool. alos note that the transmission between the JK and JL are different too. The JL is the new 8 speed auto and very nice makes a huge difference from the older auto. If you are going with an auto if manual well don't sweat it. Looka t dan grecos The road chose me for more idea. and see how he went why and what with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles