Rubicon question

Flyfish71

I have been giving some serious thoughts on purchasing a used Rubicon and was wondering if anyone might be able to answer a question, strange that it may be, that I have . . .

My wife and I make an annual trip from Colorado to the boundary waters of northern MN every year, among other various high country camping trips here in CO :rally_guys: . We always take our two dogs with us - two labs, one 80lbs the other 65lbs. I am wondering if by removing the rear seat the Rubi would have adequate room for the dogs. Any input from dog toting Expedition members would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers :beer:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Depends on how much gear you take with you.

The dogs will physically fit in the back of a TJ (assuming they are friendly to each other), but there won't be room inside for much gear.

In order for me to fit a weeks worth of gear/food plus a 65 pound dog inside my TJ, I have to remove both the rear seat and the passenger seat.

mightymike

Adventurer
FWIW, the reason I got rid of my '05 Rubicon Unlimited (2-door, "LJ") was that it didn't have enough room. Two teenagers (admittedly not as easy to travel with as dogs....) I bought a surplus M416 trailer to put the camping gear in, which in my opinion created too many other issues. I drove it from NC to Salt Lake City when I sold it, and after that many miles I really don't care to travel in a Jeep again. I think to make your annual trip you'll need a trailer or a hitch hauler.

If you are going to do a LOT of offroading, I think the Rubicon is hard to beat. We don't have the public lands here in the east like you do in Colorado, and it didn't make sense for me to keep when 99% of the time it would be used on-road.

I hope this helps-

Mike

RedDog

Explorer
I travelled around for a week last summer with a friend in my TJ and we were pretty full with cooler, all our gear, etc. The back seat was removed when the Jeep was a month old, and in fact has never been folded down or even sat on since new.

The Jeep works for a single owner with no children but is no family vehicle. Even one dog wouldn't have worked for us last summer. A couple I know with an infant have to employ a roof-rack system to accommodate their gear so as to include their toddler in a baby seat - meaning the rear seat has to stay. They have a fair sized dog as well and you'll see one or the other on outings or weekend adventures but never both baby and dog at the same time - and either way, it's continual strapping and unstrapping from the rooftop for anything they need.

BigAl

Expedition Leader
My jeep solution. Dogs don't need a lot of headroom, my 80lb lab curls up against the seatbacks, I never had 2 dogs on it but there would be plenty of room. If you use rubbermaids underneath you can keep everything accessible. I have a cargo floor liner that I throw on the expanded metal now too. You could do a simplier design with plywood and some indoor/outdoor carpet.
cargo009.jpg

Last edited:

Flyfish71

Thanks for all of the responses. The questions wouldn't have come up if my 97 Land Cruiser wasn't wrecked about 3 months ago. A young kid decided to make a left against a red arrow just as I was making my way through the intersection . . . Ahhh teenagers . . .

Anyway, for the gear we were looking into something along the lines of a used adventure trailer, or a reasonable facsimile (i.e. something a bit less expensive than an adventure trailer.)

Our dogs do get along exceptionally well and have traveled together with us for the past 7 years. I really like the Rubicon for the "out of the box" capabilities. I have thought about getting another LC, but for some reason have been drawn to the Rubicons. Maybe a two door unlimited would be something to consider. I've heard that they come with a D44 in the rear.

mightymike

Adventurer
We bought a used Canadian military trailer (M416 copy) for $800. I planned to customize it like one of the factory adventure trailers. They are very rugged, and the sweet setup is to convert the axle and or hubs so you can run the same size wheels and tires on your trailer as your Jeep.

trailer3.jpg

I'd recommend the hard top or Dual Top options.

GunnIt

Adventurer
I have a 2004 Rubicon and a 140-lb Newfoundland. He fits in the back with my 6-year-old son when the soft top is down. I'm adding a roof rack and an adventure trailer to make more room to carry extra stuff so that I can make longer trips in the jeep...currently I'm limited to day trips because of the lack of room for gear.

You will not go wrong buying a Rubicon. Mine has been over most all the high mountain trails near Taylor Park Co. If I were you I would look for one that is already built out (long arm lift, 33-in tires, racks, tire carrier, skids, etc.) as these vehicles sell for a fraction of what the aftermarket equipment originally cost.

Here is a great place to begin your research http://www.rubiconownersforum.com/

JPFreek1

Explorer
mightymike said:
FWIW, the reason I got rid of my '05 Rubicon Unlimited (2-door, "LJ") was that it didn't have enough room. Two teenagers (admittedly not as easy to travel with as dogs....) I bought a surplus M416 trailer to put the camping gear in, which in my opinion created too many other issues. I drove it from NC to Salt Lake City when I sold it, and after that many miles I really don't care to travel in a Jeep again. I think to make your annual trip you'll need a trailer or a hitch hauler.

If you are going to do a LOT of offroading, I think the Rubicon is hard to beat. We don't have the public lands here in the east like you do in Colorado, and it didn't make sense for me to keep when 99% of the time it would be used on-road.

I hope this helps-

Mike

Hey Mike, just out of curiosity, where did you score that M416 trailer? I'm in the market for one of these trailers and would appreciate any insight you may have.

Regarding the original question on Rubicons, I have an 05 SWB Rubicon and absolutely love it! I also have a Garvin Industries bumper and roof wilderness rack setup so I have plenty of space to carry gear. If it weren't for these racks though, I would have no room for carrying gear and people/animals. So, go with the used Rubicon if you plan to use a trailer or wilderness rack setup otherwise you can wait awhile longer and purchase a used 4-door JK Rubicon (which are VERY nice). Good luck!

Frank

mightymike

Adventurer
Frank-

Here is where I got mine:

http://www.whiteowl.com/trailers.html

It looks like he has a few in stock @ $700. The ones I saw when I was there were new surplus, never used. Kinston, NC (near the coast).

Try a Google for Canadian M101 trailers...

Make sure you can title it in your state with only a bill of sale, no title. I titled mine as a homebuilt as had to scribe a VIN assigned by DMV.

maximumrob

Adventurer
I have an '05 LJ Rubicon and the wife and I are able to fit 3 days' worth of camping gear and a 55-lb dog in it with the rear seat out. We can also fit a weeks' worth of camping gear in it if we don't bring the dog. ...and that's filled top to bottom front to back.

I've been thinking about adding a trailer because we'll eventually have kids. Thule makes a cool one that costs about $1,500 new, but I've considered a different route. If I buy one of those ATV trailers (or similar) from Home Depot and buy a "JOBox" and attach it to the trailer, I just saved $700 and got a bear box to boot!

By the way, a stock Rubicon is UNBELIEVABLY capable if you're accustomed to other manufacturers' "Off-road" packages.

Perhaps the new 4-door JK would be more suitable for you and the fam.

Bongo Boy

Observer
Short answer is: plenty of room in the back for two (or three) large-ass dogs. You could also get a 6-pack cooler for water and a box of BabyWipes back there, but then you'd be pretty much played-out. :)

I've had my Rubicon just short of 2 years now, and it is the first rig I've owned that I can say I truly love, and wouldn't probably ever trade. The BMW Z4 was also a love, but that's a completely different kind of thing, and Colorado winters are getting a bit worse, I think.

As much as I love the Rubicon (mine is a soft top), to think of subjecting anyone to a drive that long...especially animals...is just ugly. The noise level, bone-jarring suspension, and sensitivity to wind just makes for a tiring, arduous drive IMO. I'd probably go with an FJ Crusier for a few thousand more, and in fact I'm going to get one of those this month I hope.

Make no mistake...I love the Jeep, and have put my heart and soul into it. Nothing can put a smile on my face like this rig when taking on moderate rock gardens and local trails. It's a great look, a great feel and a great experience--off road.

Spouse and I drove from Denver to Yellowstone last summer, and I'd never do it again, I don't think. I know I'd never subject my dogs to it--even though I might try to make my spouse do it. :)

Now, I'm talking the TJ Rubicon. Based on a magazine review I just read, the JK is a very capable machine, too. I do think the JK 4-door would be a great choice and would add a lot of room, and would likely come in less than an FJ (and in my opinon would look a lot cooler, too).

Last edited:

86cj

Explorer
I have a LJ and no dog currently but have put close to 100,000 miles on my last 60lb K-9 pal,(in similar size vehicles). I say one dog and it's doable but two and a day trip is about it.

Bongo Boy
Spouse and I drove from Denver to Yellowstone last summer, and I'd never do it again, I don't think. I know I'd never subject my dogs to it--even though I might try to make my spouse do it.

I have been Jeepin' too long........ My LJ with a soft top seems really quiet and the day I drove 849 miles with one lunch break seemed enjoyable.:smiley_drive:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Prior to my shocks being completely worn out, and the sway bar being broken...my jeep was no trouble to drive on 1000+ mile trips...and the dog LOVES it! Even with the poor ride it has now, she absolutely loves going for rides in the jeep....the longer, the better. The only thing she doesn't like is being "off road" in the jeep...there is no where for her to get herself blocked in to keep from sliding around, so she prefers to run along side while on the trail.

She loves it so much that when I take her for a walk, she will stop and watch other jeeps drive down the street (seriously). Dogs and jeeps go together like, well...like tequila and triple sec (and lime juice).

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I have a SWB 03 rubicon and have an 06 LJ on the way. We must not take much stuff because I can take a week's long worth of supplies and it only fits to the top of the tub with the back seet out. There would be plenty of room for dogs with a secondary deck or if you did not mind them sleeping on top of all the bags and water jugs.

With the LJ I know that with the stuff I take I will not have a problem leaving the seat in and taking everything and still have a place for someone to sit in the back seat or a dog.

Plus neither the wife or I feel that the SWB is too noise or rough for long trips. I run OME and 285 MTR's with a soft top in summer and hardtop in winter. No carpet since day one. The LJ is much more quite due to installation around hood and fire wall. We will see if it gets louder when I remove the carpet. But it will still be more quiet than the SWB. My other car is a Volvo V50 so I know what quiet and smooth is like.

I guess it just comes down to the fact of what you like and fits your needs. For me and wife we know that we could never live without the jeep.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior