Rugged food sealer?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced food vacuum sealer, preferably that runs off of 12v and is reasonably rugged? I want to start vacuum sealing food when we are camping. I think it will keep the food fresher and I think it will keep the fridge cleaner (no matter how many zip loc bags you put things in, if they have liquid they WILL leak, period.)
Something I can get on Amazon would be great.
Thanks in advance! :ylsmoke:

gunnermoose

Adventurer
...no matter how many zip loc bags you put things in, if they have liquid they WILL leak, period.

I'm interested in this answer also. I seal prior to trips now; foodsaver. I was going to try the foodsaver containers and the little hand pump on my trip this week. Will let you know how it works out.

TwinStick

Explorer
My money says buy once & be done. I have a foodsaver. It works, but not well & the more you use it in a row the worse it works. I now have this one: http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABE...d=734095080&CQ_search=food%2520sealer&CQ_st=b It is also on super sale right now. This thing ROCKS compared to foodsaver. You can even double seal with the touch of a button, instead of doing it 2 times. It has replacement parts you can buy as well. This thing works GREAT. Get you a 12v inverter & you can run it anywhere you can park your vehicle or atv/utv/sxs.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
You referring to the 12V foodsaver?

We have a countertop foodsaver model (120V) and use it a ton.

Ours is easily 10 years old now, with no signs of failure.

TwinStick

Explorer
No, not the 12v. The 120v countertop one. Horrible results. I have wasted enough bags trying to get good results to probably pay for it. The 15" one from cabela's absolutely ROCKS. You can use any manufacturer's bags with it & even zip lock bags (with the hose). All i am saying is, it is in a completely different league than my foodsaver. If yours works well for you, lucky you. Mine does not & was a complete waste of $130. I HATE wasting my hard earned money.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
As with anything with moving parts and imported, your mileage may vary.

I have nothing but good things to say about foodsaver.

If you had that bad of an experience, why didnt you just return it or warranty it?

They have a lifetime warranty.

FYI, the cabelas unit looks to have a 1-yr warranty, and just as terrible reviews as yours with the foodsaver

TwinStick

Explorer
Thanks for that.

"As with anything with moving parts and imported, your mileage may vary."

I have nothing but bad things to say about foodsaver. IT SAYS RIGHT ON THE UNIT "MADE IN CHINA". Mine is a V3420. Lifetime warranty means nothing to me if the product does not work properly. Been there, done that. They will not refund my money. Their stance is: there is nothing wrong with this unit. It was a gift. I have no receipt. End of story, according to foodsaver. The unit is like brand new (as it has only been used about a dozen times).

We will have to agree to disagree. Maybe i got a bad foodsaver, IDK ? Maybe they got a bad Cabela's unit, IDK ? The one i have works awesome & NO, i am not affiliated with Cabela's in any way, shape or form. Maybe if they were more willing to stand behind their product, my opinion would be different ? Wouldn't yours ?

In the end, the consumer just wants things that work. If you were not so far away, I'd tell you to stop by & pick it up. In the 7 years i have had it, i have tried to give it away 3x, to no avail.

Edit: If they would credit me around 75%, maybe even 50%, I may put it towards a GM710 Big Game unit. Not holding my breath on that happening though.

Last edited:
Cabela's units have always been rebadged Weston units which is a much more reputable builder than Foodsaver. I have a Ary Vacmaster similar to a Weston unit and do thousands of lbs of fish a year. In the heat of summer outside I can overheat any of them but in the house I can do bag after bag.

The .25" heat bar vs .125" makes a big difference over the long haul of sometime being sealed in the freezer in my experience.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Weston is imported as well. Chinese.

Same story flies. Mileage may vary.

As indicated by the slew of horrid reviews for the supposed "Weston" Cabelas units

All non-commercial units are imported for pretty much every manufacturer. The higher end ones have always used Italian pumps but that may have shifted anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles