Rugged, warm pants with reinforced knees and seat?

e60ral

2016 4Runner Trail w/KDSS
Can anyone recommend some rugged, warm pants that have reinforced knees and seat/crotch?

At Overland Expo all of the instructors had pants with nylon(?) reinforcement patches on the knees and seat but I'm having trouble finding something similar. I'm tired of getting wet muddy knees every time i kneel down to start a fire, or air down tires or something. I like canvas pants (carharts, duluth firehose, etc...) but the first time you sit or kneel in damp grass you are all wet. Does anyone make canvas pants with nylon knee patches/seat? Does that exist?

I've found a few "tactical" pants that kinda are what I want, but I don't want loads of pockets and hate tacticool stuff

SnoViking

Adventurer
These pants seems like a good idea.... until I'm reminded of this.....

1b904dce6b8b2207538e60ebcca67f5f.jpg

Don't go drinking your own... ... ... ..

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
Well, the Fjallravens get a lot more windproof and warmer when you wax them well. You could do the same with any tight weave cotton if you don't want to cough up that kinda dough. But the details and comfort on them are pretty awesome.

You could also treat sections of them with some heavier duty / more modern waterproofing treatment

e60ral

Other than the cargo paockets those BG pants actually look decent in dark grey, but they also look pretty lightweight

I had already checked triple aught, all their pants had limited sizes available

dcg141

Adventurer
Well, the Fjallravens get a lot more windproof and warmer when you wax them well. You could do the same with any tight weave cotton if you don't want to cough up that kinda dough. But the details and comfort on them are pretty awesome.

You could also treat sections of them with some heavier duty / more modern waterproofing treatment

I have some Fjallraven Ovik pants. I just got them and have not tested how water resistant they are. I did get a bar of the wax also. They are really comfortable and the material looks really substantial. Its a 65/35 poly/cotton..kinda like canvas tent fabric.

joelbert

Adventurer

e60ral

I actually have a pair of Duluth firehose pants that stood up to surveying through backwoods and swamps but I hadn't seen those Briar Pants, that may be the ticket. It looks like they may fit a little baggier than I like, but for the price they are worth a try.

Edit: Damn! no 34" inseam on the briar pants!

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Do the Duluth pants shrink much after washing them? And I have to agree with the lack of size options, I was looking at their site and seems those of us who have a 34in inseam are out of luck on a lot of their pants.

e60ral

The pair I have, that are pretty old now, stayed pretty true to size in the waist but i feel like they got a little shorter after a few washes. I have had the same experience with other similar pants (carharts, etc...) so I think its just the nature of the fabric. I'm basically a 33" inseam and can sometimes get away with 32" but plan on buying 34" inseams

justbecause

perpetually lost
Arborwear makes no claims of being waterproof, but the heavy canvas handles small amounts of moisture well (for cotton) the pants have been almost bombproof in my experience.

https://www.arborwear.com/products/pants/flannel-lined-originals

This is another pair of pants I own and am very happy with. http://www.carhartt.com/products/mens-original-fit-pants/Double-Front-Work-Dungaree-B01

the reinforced knees are completely separate pieces of material. Once you add a pair of knee pads https://www.amazon.com/Military-Iss...484762606&sr=8-10&keywords=knee+pads+military you have a few layers of protection before you get wet.

Neither one are rain pants, but will shed small amounts of moisture well, for cotton.

these are the pants I think of based off your description. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebMyPaGueuU They are currently on my wishlist.

herm

Adventurer
I really like the stuff made by vertx. i have a few pair and wear them almost daily to work. I cant seem to find the model without the pockets that i have on their site. I do have shorts with the pockets, and they are very flat and not obtrusive like most cargo pants. I find the 5.11 stuff to be of marginal quality overall with blackhawk and vertx being higher quality than most of the "tactical" brands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles