RuggedFlex Panels?

calameda

Anyone have experience with these? Am especially interested in performance and durability, since they’re flexible. My intended use is roof of truck camper.

billiebob

Last year I refused to consider a FLEX panel.....
this year, with all the positive inputs I'm thinking I missed the boat.
I don't think they handle complex curves well.... anything else I think I missed the boat....
my roof is flat...
DSCN3099.jpg

calameda

So what changed your mind about flex panels?

Im mostly interested in them for weight savings, keeping a low profile on roof, and avoiding branches and stuff getting under the panel, which is common w rigid panels.

Alloy

So what changed your mind about flex panels?

Im mostly interested in them for weight savings, keeping a low profile on roof, and avoiding branches and stuff getting under the panel, which is common w rigid panels.

Have you felt how hot panels get? The heat will transfer into the roof.

calameda

Have you felt how hot panels get? The heat will transfer into the roof.
Yeah, that’s a fair point. But my roof is 2” thick foam composite (TC), and it should be easy enough to make a standoff with say 2-3 mm of air circulation between the roof and panel. Would still be much lighter and lower profile than rigid.

Again, does anyone has experience with these panels?

2.ooohhh

I've run similar lensun marine panels for nearly a decade now. Couldn't be happier. Mine are attached to my hood with a bead of black RTV sealant with a few dabs of a roofing tar in the center of the panel to help assist with the slight ballooning in the middle I experienced on my fj. The panels don't get nearly as hot as I worried, and actually stay cooler then the ones I found measured on a sail boat.

I'll add that i'm not an engineer and I don't build solar panels but I've noticed what I believe is the result of the marine panels being wired very differently in the way individual solar cells are grouped to make mini strings on the panels. Comparing with my dad's fixed array his panels the slightest bit of shade anywhere on one of his panels nearly nixes the entire panel's output where as mine can have dappled sunlight on the hood and still make reasonably acceptable power.

Alloy

Yeah, that’s a fair point. But my roof is 2” thick foam composite (TC), and it should be easy enough to make a standoff with say 2-3 mm of air circulation between the roof and panel. Would still be much lighter and lower profile than rigid.

When does the FRP get so hot the glue releases?

I have Panasonic (that make power when there is full cloud/no sun) 330w on my roof with 3" clearance that are 4m (12'6") off the ground.

In winter I get 30% more output by tilting the panels.

The panels have been hit by /pull down 100s of branches. If one day something happens I may put a deflector at the front or run a guard rails along the side.

NOPEC

Like 2.ooohhh I have run these panels for the last decade with nary a complaint. Like others, I do a fair bit of bush crashing and I really like the fact that the panels have virtually no profile above the roof surface, no attachment holes into the top of the camper and that they conform exactly to my domed fiberglass roof. I appreciate that there is the loss of 5-10 percent performance due to heat but my two 100 watt GoPower brand flex panels provide more than enough juice to our pretty simple system, regardless of sun location and/or light cloud cover. I have never felt the conducted heat is anything to worry about however, we do have a different roof structure than yours. And, I haven't used framed panels so have no experience in order to make any direct comparisons.

calameda

2.ooohhh

Appreciate the feedback. I'll have to do more research on the durability of various flex panels on offer, but am encouraged by NOPEC and 2.ooohhh experience. Regarding heat induced FRP-foam delamination, am looking into that. But I do note that TC provides instructions for flex panel installation, which I doubt Andreas would do if delamination were a big concern.

Followed very similar instructions to these on my first install and found the panels to be nearly too well applied if you EVER want to be able to remove them. I destroyed the panel attempting to remove it and nearly damaged the underlying hood.

I came up with the combo I used (rtv & roof flashing adhesive) most recently from simple stuff I already had in the supplies cabinet as I wanted to be able to remove a panel if needed with a simple razor blade and a guitar string while keeping a little control on the center of the panel to help keep it from ballooning too much in the center as it heated daily.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94