Running NDT tires tubeless

MN_GEO

I have an old M100 that has 7.00-16 NDT tires and split rims. I want to change out to solid rims so I can run tubeless or at least eliminate the risks of split rims if I need to hit your average tire shop for a repair. Can't seem to locate a source via Google. Can anyone tell me where I can find some solid rims that will fit the tire with a 5-5.5 bolt pattern?

E Dr. P

Observer
Got pics of the wheels? Every m100 I've seen doesn't use "split rims" or lock ring style wheels. If your wheels are stock you should be able to run tubeless tires fine, as long as they aren't leaking around the rivets.

shogun

Adventurer
And, theres a big difference between "slit rims", "safety rings" and "two-piece" wheels. Most folks, to include tire shops dont know this.

MN_GEO

I'll shoot a picture and post. I'm not soper famiar with these, but they fit the split rim description

MN_GEO

This is the rim. I dont see the characteristic split on the outer ring and it looks like one piece. Maybe these are one piece rims?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1423856921255.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423856921255.jpg
    505.7 KB · Views: 15

Robert Bills

Explorer
Those look like the standard Kelsey Hayes wheels which were original equipment for the later Bantam civilian T3-C trailers, M100 trailers, and Willys CJ-2 and CJ-3 jeeps. They are probably 16x4.5 (Willys wagons of the era came with Kelsey Hayes 16x5.0 wheels.)

Robert Bills

Explorer
No, the bead profile on these wheels is designed for a tube type tire, which is different than the bead profile for tubeless tires. This means a substantial risk of loss of air, particularly at low pressures. That being said, some have used tubeless tires on these wheels without problems.

I use tube type 700-16 military NDCC tires on my Bantam trailer. My wheels look identical to yours. I had mine sandblasted and powdercoated.

2005 Nissan Xterra Offroad with 1946 Bantam T3-C.jpg

atavuss

Adventurer
Looks like the same wheels as my 1/4 ton Civilian Bantam (my trailer is no where as nice as Roberts). I also had my wheels sandblasted and powder coated, they still look new after almost 8 years. I have had zero problems running a set of new NDT 7.00x16 tires with tubes for 8 years. I run about 22 lbs. of pressure in the tires so the trailer does not bounce so much when lightly loaded. Even on 100+ degree summer days the tires do not get hot on long highway trips.
I think the NDT tires just look like they belong on the 1/4 ton trailers.

Last edited:

NMC_EXP

Explorer
And, theres a big difference between "slit rims", "safety rings" and "two-piece" wheels. Most folks, to include tire shops dont know this.

Yup.

"Split rim" has become an badly incorrect catch-all phrase for all multi-piece wheel assemblies.

NMC_EXP

Explorer
No, the bead profile on these wheels is designed for a tube type tire, which is different than the bead profile for tubeless tires. This means a substantial risk of loss of air, particularly at low pressures. That being said, some have used tubeless tires on these wheels without problems.

I use tube type 700-16 military NDCC tires on my Bantam trailer. My wheels look identical to yours. I had mine sandblasted and powdercoated.

MN_GEO

The flip side of what Robert Bills said is that It is probably not a good idea to try to run your 7.00-16 NDT tube type tires without a tube regardless of rim type. Tubeless tires typically have a butyl rubber inner liner which takes the place of a separate tube. Butyl has a low gas migration rate. I suspect pressurized air will go through a tube type tire quickly.

Robert Bills:

Nice trailer. I have an M416.

Question - tell me about the bows for the trailer cargo cover....are they electrical conduit?

Robert Bills

Explorer
MN_GEO

The flip side of what Robert Bills said is that It is probably not a good idea to try to run your 7.00-16 NDT tube type tires without a tube regardless of rim type. . . .

Robert Bills: tell me about the bows for the trailer cargo cover....are they electrical conduit?

Clarification: I do not run my 700-16 military NDCC tube type tires tubeless. I carry tire irons and a patch kit for the tube, as well as two fresh tubes as spares. I cannot imagine running tube type tires without tubes.

As for the cargo cover - the tubes are 1" steel, not electrical conduit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior