Running power and coax to roof rack

thallca

Observer
I need to run power and coax to my Hannibal roof rack and would like to see examples from others who have done this. Really interested in how you have run the cables from the engine compartment to the roof and from the drivers compartment to the roof.
Thanks

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
power feed

For powering my 2 sets of lights on my roof rack, I ran the power under the vehicle from the engine bay, brought it up through a small gap at the rear bumper and ran the cables behind the rear door hinge (there's actually plenty of room in there for me to hide the cable and secure it there). Then from there up to the rear of the roof rack and wire tied it all the way to where I needed it.

I sometimes take my roof rack off (so I can fit in my garage), so I used a 4-conductor trailer wiring harness for the coupling.

Has worked out great for me.

If you're going to go that route, make sure you use at least 1-2 gauge more than recommended for your power needs since that's such a long run. I think I ran 10 gauge.

My cable for powering roof lights - ok, outdoor extension cord - runs up the rubber channel at the edge of the windshield.

Its held in place / camoflauged with a little black silicone.

Oh, mine's a '94 D1. Not sure if the same windscreen surround is used later or not.

KAA

gary in ohio

Explorer
I assume your using the COAX for some type of antenna. What you can do is install a roof mounted UHF mount in the root then run a short cable to your antenna. You can also use a lower profile NMO mount on the roof with a NMO to UHF adapter then plug in your antenna.
Use the nmo mounts found at the bottom of this page http://www.transeltech.com/nmo/nmo.html

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
gary in ohio said:
I assume your using the COAX for some type of antenna. What you can do is install a roof mounted UHF mount in the root then run a short cable to your antenna. You can also use a lower profile NMO mount on the roof with a NMO to UHF adapter then plug in your antenna.
Use the nmo mounts found at the bottom of this page http://www.transeltech.com/nmo/nmo.html
That's a pretty clever way of doing it. A regular NMO mount in the roof and a NMO->SO239 adapter. Then a short piece of coax with PL259 connectors to the adapter and antenna mount itself. Very clever indeed.

This in roof:
cat1323.jpg

This on NMO mount:
cat1325.jpg

This on roof rack:
cat1316.jpg

Then a cable connecting then together. The roof rack bracket would go from SO239 to a 3/8 female or whatever connector your antenna needs.

thallca

Observer
I think that is a good idea, just have a problem with drilling holes in my roof, but if done right I shouldn't have any water leaking in. I like the idea of the quick disconnect for the power, I wonder if there is any power outlets that can be mounted through the roof like the NMO mount for ham radios? Something from the boating industray maybe?

DaveInDenver said:
That's a pretty clever way of doing it. A regular NMO mount in the roof and a NMO->SO239 adapter. Then a short piece of coax with PL259 connectors to the adapter and antenna mount itself. Very clever indeed.

This in roof:
cat1323.jpg

This on NMO mount:
cat1325.jpg

This on roof rack:
cat1316.jpg

Then a cable connecting then together. The roof rack bracket would go from SO239 to a 3/8 female or whatever connector your antenna needs.

thallca

Observer
I had the same idea about using a snorkel to route my cables just haven't had the money to do that yet. I also like the Larsen window mount antennas, I use to have one on a old Samuri, it worked great. But I have a 89 classic with heating wires running through the window and I don't know how that would affect the radio transmission. With my luck I would end up energizing the wires and have the whole thing radiate in my face which doesn't sound like fun. Plus I have a Yeasu 857D hf/6meter/2meter/70cm radio and it has two antenna outputs, one for the 2meter/70cm, and another for the hf/6meter so I will end up running two feed lines.

I would like to see some photos of some of your power and coax installs...

Roemer1 said:
On my '96 Disco the power to the rack runs up the snorkel to a junction box for easy disconnect when removing. For the radio, I used a glass mount antenna like this. http://www.cheapham.com/LAR-KG2-70CXPL.html

No complaints so far.

Britt

gary in ohio

Explorer
The NMO mounts are water tight. Its a standard RF connector used on police and fire trucks around the world. You do need to drill the hole correctly and use the proper sized drill bit but you can buy NMO specifc bits for $20 or so.

Roemer1

Observer
thallca,

I don't currently have any closeups of the installation, but I will try and get some posted soon.
Most likely next tuesday, I am double booked till after the holliday.

Britt

thallca

Observer
Roemer1 said:
thallca,

I don't currently have any closeups of the installation, but I will try and get some posted soon.
Most likely next tuesday, I am double booked till after the holliday.

Britt

Thanks
I just want to do this right the first time and not have to do it again after the first try fails

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
DaveInDenver said:

This in roof:
cat1323.jpg

This on NMO mount:
cat1325.jpg

This on roof rack:
cat1316.jpg

Just a FYI every connection is considered .5dB of loss. Best circumstances that many connections you are going to lose 3.5dB if you have GOOD connections. That adaptor on the roof scares me. I have had a LOT of experience MNO mounts and over time some of them build electrolysis corrosion depending on the way they make the connection. Make sure you use a dielectric grease on this style mount.

I have had better luck with the pin style mount but it is not nearly as common.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz