RV Roof Coating on a Suburban?

bald.eagle

Observer
I was wondering if anyone has used a coating similar to an RV Roof Coating/Sealant on the roof of a SUV, van, or similar vehicle. My Suburban is in need of some paint repair on the roof due to lousy GM paint (cracking/peeling exposing primer, a few surface rust spots). I am planning a roof rack system and would like to refinish the roof surface with something durable and low maintenance. I don't have any personal experience with roof coatings but I imagine a rubberized, insulating coating would benefit interior temperatures and also provide durability for the roof of a truck that will take a beating.

Opinions? Advice? Critiques?

A product similar to what I'm considering:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VARH0W/ref=psdc_2258022011_t5_B004A30MGA#customerReviews

Thanks for any input you guys might have.

rayra

Expedition Leader
well you are very fortunate in that your Suburban is white. Easy fix is Henry's elastomeric coating in white.
https://henry.com/retail/white-roof...lic-dura-brite-white-elastomeric-roof-coating

That should do the trick nicely for you, just do some surface prep so there's some 'tooth' for the product to adhere to, and re-coat before it totally degrades. Scrubbing all the application surfaces with a scotch pad should be enough, or some 200grit. All you need to do is haze the surface, not put heavy scratches in it.

But if it is just your roof you might consider refinishing it properly with automotive paint. It would be a pretty straightforward DIY project and being the roof you don't have to get it perfect.

There has been a lot of discussion about roof paint treatments and some experimentation in @pappawheely 's build topic. Including some glass beads for thermal insulation and other products.

I was stuck with a black Sub, so I would up building a suspended solid rood deck within the roof rack. But I've got some degrading clear coat patches now on the brow and a patch on my hood. I have a lot of reasons for a re-paint, and am seriously considering painting it one panel at a time. I have the experience, ability and tools, and can temp-configure my garage as a paint booth.

bald.eagle

Observer
100% agreed on the white paint being a plus- I wouldn't consider the roof coat otherwise. I will, at minimum, do a sand/prime/paint on the trouble areas with some rattle can Rustoleum, but I'm thinking the extra durability may be worth the cost of a gallon can of the roof coat. I'll check out pappawheely's build for ideas. The whole truck needs a repaint, but it's just not in the budget. The surface was in bad shape before I got it, if you notice the early 2000's GM trucks and SUV's in white on the road, many have this same issue. I've considered Maaco or the like, but I've got a drivetrain to rebuild before I bother with anything cosmetic.

And with your attention to detail rayra, you of anyone would be able to pull off a DIY paint job. Go for it!

Attachments

• IMG_2162.jpg
    IMG_2162.jpg
    668.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2166.jpg
    IMG_2166.jpg
    429.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2163.jpg
    IMG_2163.jpg
    420 KB · Views: 8

rayra

Expedition Leader
heh. Lemme find the pics of the mini trucks I painted 30yrs+ ago. We turned my friend's mother's detached garage into a paint booth and borrowed all the space heaters we could find. Cost about $300 for the auto paint per truck. The metallic blue job on my friend's Datsun came out nice. My own interpretation of Walker Evans' SCORE truck paintjob was pretty garish. Ferrari red nose / upper, polar white lower / bed, yellow / orange wedge stripes up from the front wheel well and around the cab.

I'm really liking the Toyota brown, whatever it's called. It'd be a little Johnny Cash / 'One Piece At A Time', Already figured a way to make a roll-around support rack / frame where I can mount each removed panel while I prep and paint it. I figure I could do everything I can unbolt and then pay to have the body done. I could spot paint the body jambs when each piece is off. Then I only need to get the remaining body painted. I've got deteriorating paint / buffer burn since I got it on the PAX doors, scratches and acid damage on the pax front fender, the crinkling clear patch on the hood and brow, got keyed all down the drivers side all four panels and some rust bubbling under the fuel filler. And various 'desert pinstripes' and door dings which seem to be piling up more often lately.

iu

hah, the paint color is 'Quicksand'.

eta

evanspaintjob2.jpg

eta

ede92ae54a51e7ce6b63bfc232574f79--off-roading-road-racing.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94