RX1/R, Df, EM1, A7. what to buy?

zimm

Expedition Leader
havent been on here lately, but just to update.

i took delivery of a camera.

Nope, not one on the original list, and i'll explain why.

clearly being that i couldnt actually examine the others, the decision was based purely on interweb research. that may sound horrible at first, but not when you take into consideration the skill level of the purchaser. i shoot film, and not much in recent years. handling the the cameras wouldnt have told me much, as ALL of them are way beyond my experience level of digital photography. they do much more than the aperture priority i shot 75% of the time, and all of them were bound to frustrate me upon first fiddling. as such, i used out of camera jpeg as the first benchmark.

1. using that as first test, was like giving a test to first graders on having fun at recess... they all pass. 4/3ds, aps-c, 35mm. blown up on a nice new 24" screen, the larger sensors looked slightly better sometimes, especially in high iso's, but nothing that would push me towards a bulkier camera with lenses proportionately larger for the larger frame. i wanted small, and for me, i dont lose a thing in IQ sticking with the smallest.

2. do i need a weatherproof camera? perhaps for accidents, but i came to the conclusion, that any premium for weather sealing wasnt worth the cost of admission, especially when that cost was the same a well reviewed lens.

3. is a built in EVF important? well... i'll say an EVF is damn important, but so is fill in flash, or a flash for taking pictures at a party or social event, when its just too dark, and in those situations an evf is useless compared to to a flippy screen. i want this camera to replace my 35mm as well as a point and shoot. myself, i hate add on flashes. i dont know why, but they never left the house, and i doubt they ever would here. so, models that had the EVF at the sacrifice of the flash were demerit-ed, as well as anything i couldnt add an evf too. but, the evf had to be nice. the peepers are degrading.

4. speaking of adding lenses, selection, quality and size count. the A7's have NOOOOOO selection. the nikon, on the other hand has a HUUUGE selection.. but as you recall, part of this whole escapade is size. evn if the camera is slight in stature, i dont think i want full size lenses again. and when i say quality, i dont mean JUST high quality. sometimes its nice to have a cheap pancake youre not worried about. a couple select cheapies wont hurt.

5. mechanical function/aesthetics. i love etched buttons and manual control! i love the looks of old rangefinders! i love the looks of those damn fuji's! i love a camera with a solid heft, even if i dont want heavy.

6. the camera will be a the only camera. it needs to film. i dont film, but maybe someday i will.

7. the camera has to make me shoot better. yea yea, its the person not the camera. ok, if you think that, go grab an old 110 and only shoot that for 5 years.

i went into this loving the Nikon Df. i thought, even though it was overly purist, it would win. not because im a purist mind you, but because i just didnt care about anything else at the time. i didnt buy it.

all the SONY's were tossed. either poor lens selections, or, no lens selection. no flash, and uninspired build. if you grew up digital, i bet they are your bag, they just arnt mine.

i added the fuji's, and even thought of waiting for the new x-t1! purdy! lotsa dials! weather proof! and good lenses... but... i dont think i need weatherproof. that shutter dial only goes to 4000. it has the hump. sometimes i like the hump, other times i dont. it looks too serious. and theres no flash. going back to the lenses, all are great, but the portfolio is incomplete, they are allllll spendy

and then there was the EM1. NO, no it wasnt perfect, but it had the lenses; the great 60 macro for 400 bucks!, the 75-300 (600mm equiv in your frigging pocket!) great primes across the board, and an easy adaption of M-mount if you feel like spending money. it also had the 5 axis IS!!!! in camera!!! it works better than in lens, and makes lenses cheaper! weather proof as insurance, and a big grip!

and a big grip...

and a big grip...

i enjoy squeezing the old Minolta more than having my EOS hanging off of my fingers. i really do. and perhaps because its not so damn serious looking its friendlier to see pointed at you, and thus you dont feel like an intruder pointing it at someone.

and didnt i say i wanted a built in flash?
and didnt i say i didnt need weather proofing?
and wasnt i amazed how IBIS would make me a better shooter?
and didnt i want to buy lenses instead of useless features?

wait, what about that little ugly duckling i hardly acknowledged existed when i started the search?

it has ibis!
it has a flash!
its well built!
it has a modular evf! (sounds like a feature rather than an omission this way)
it has dials, that while not etched, are programmable!
it has access to great lenses, and comes with a top notch prime in the kit!!!!! unheard of!!!!!
it has a nifty tilty screen and looks like a classic rangefinder!!!!
it does what its EM1 sibling does.
ITS CHEAPER THAN THE COMPETITION!

yep... im starting real digital photography with an EP5, and after fiddling with her for a few days in the office, im still thoroughly overwhelmed with all the options. but, i think i like this camera. the primes shoot nice, the AF is blazing, and this 60 macro is one great lens. the focus by wire needs a new algorithm, but the 1:1 with a small chip is awesome, its spectacular as a portrait, and it was only 400 bucks.

runners up

fuji x100s. it lacks allot of **** that keeps it from being a goto do all implement, but i bet for what it is, that camera is just pure fun. i missed a used one for cheap. that wont happen again.
fuji x-e2. no ibis. no flippy screen. slow shutter, plastic body panels, and cost more with its only kit zoom.

Last edited:

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
Congrats on picking up a camera. The price drop on the E-P5 makes it a great choice from Olympus's original asking price.

I guess I ought to give an update to my side. I just got back from a trip on the Mojave Trail where I had a rental E-M1 plus my faithful E-P3. My Nikon gear still sitting in the closet for basically 2.5 years straight (used once during the time period).

The E-M1 shot great, the EVF worked well in bright sun compared to the LCD screen of my E-P3. Not familiar with menus on the E-M1, I did have to fumble a bit to access some advanced features. I do like the placement of the knobs on the E-M1 over the first iteration, E-M5 though. The battery meter sucks, it's basically full or empty. Low light photography worked well. My E-P3 doesn't do low light well and gets grainy real fast, best to stick with 400 and under, 800 if needed, 1600 avoid if possible.

Exposure compensation very easy to access with the knobs on the E-M1. On the E-P3 it takes some button pushing/fumbling. The E-P5 fixes that issue with the knobs on top now.

Adobe Lightroom 4 does not open E-M1 RAW files. Looks like Adobe wants to force me to upgrade to version 5. Ugh. Ended up using the free Olympus Viewer 3 to work with the RAW files.

So yes, if price was just a perhaps a hundred dollar cheaper on the E-M1 I'm jumping on board. The E-P5 pricing looks enticing though with the $800 price now, and I could suppose I could compromise on the lack of build-in EVF again. Looks like I'll stick with my E-P3 for now.

As for the fate of my Nikon gear. I'll probably dump the DX gear and keep the FX lenses around for possible future use?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
So yes, if price was just a perhaps a hundred dollar cheaper on the E-M1 I'm jumping on board....

As for the fate of my Nikon gear. I'll probably dump the DX gear and keep the FX lenses around for possible future use?
FWIW, used EM-1 bodies in excellent condition are available for $400-500. I bought a used body w/ 18-55mm lens for under 800.

Let me know if you elect to sell you Nikon gear. I have that too and still use it for more serious photo needs as the range & availability of Fuji compatible lenses isn't there yet.

zimm

Expedition Leader
I'm not sure I'd dump lenses with the speed boosters out.

Now to figure out which raw program to get. After looking at 3 or 4 reviews, it seems that all have weak points. I think I'm going to base the search on wide angle distortion correction. Once again, I'll be relying on the web. I don't know enough to trial test them anyway, but I need something!

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
FWIW, used EM-1 bodies in excellent condition are available for $400-500. I bought a used body w/ 18-55mm lens for under 800.

Let me know if you elect to sell you Nikon gear. I have that too and still use it for more serious photo needs as the range & availability of Fuji compatible lenses isn't there yet.

I believe you mean used E-M5 bodies are going for $400-500 and new for $800. E-M1 is the new one for $1400.

zimm

Expedition Leader
I believe you mean used E-M5 bodies are going for $400-500 and new for $800. E-M1 is the new one for $1400.

yea.

a new em1 with a 17/1.8 kit for 1600 may have hooked me. as it stood....

i bet with the new x-t1 priced lower,the e-m1 drops.

Honu

lost on the mainland
Glad ya got a camera ya like had features ya like :)

For sure some nice mirorrless out these days

Might pick up the new Fuji once I hear how it performs :) will have to be better than the xe2 don't expect it to be as good as the E-M1 . Would be nice if it was better
Fuji did not bring dual slots ?
But the peaking looks good

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier