Ryobi bolt cutter made into a crimper

Rebuilder

Builder of Things That Interest Me
Maybe it's just me but the hammer crimper and the hand pump hydraulic crimper I have both suck for various reasons so I've been looking for a better option. For some reason there aren't many options for electric crimpers and the ones that are available are thousands of dollars so that's definitely not an option. Then I saw the Lock Picking Lawyer test one of these Ryobi bolt cutter and I knew right away it's just what I've been looking for. $114 and a little welding and grinding later and it works. Hopefully someone else finds this helpful. I plan on making different dies out of plate steel so I'll post those when I get around to it. For now I'm happy with the 1/0 die which also works for 2/0.

KIMG1892.JPG

KIMG1895.JPG

KIMG1901.JPGKIMG1903.JPGKIMG1905.JPGKIMG1906.JPGKIMG1907.JPG

Rebuilder

cool mod, definitely all anything Ryobi is capable of. But $114 is pretty rich for a crimper.
AND it needs a battery lol.

I guess it depends on how often you use it because to me the hydraulic units ($40-$90) are pretty awkward to use the the hammer tools really only work if you're assembling the cables on the bench. For me $114 is a pretty good deal especially considering what Dewalt offers. They do come with a battery though :).

1644119988759.png

Last edited:

john61ct

Adventurer
Hammer type fuggedaboudit

cheap Chinese hydraulics completely wacked die sizing unless you get lucky, can start leaking pretty quick too

Nothing beats accurately matched lug size and sime leverage

FTZ makes good stuff in general, usually AMP/Tyco & Ancor line up as well on sizing.

Bay Marine is a great seller, support before and after, buy direct off their website or by email

for #2 down to #6 gauge, no smaller
Good reading here, maybe 3 articles just on crimping

Joe917

Explorer
Buy the FTZ crimper 1644154252400.pngCrimps 6Ga to 4/0, perfect every time.
The Marine How To articles John links are excellent.

Toyaddict

I figured out the hammer type works pretty well when paired with a balljoint press and impact. Now I use an Amazon or Ebay hydraulic crimper, works well if the dies are correct.

Rebuilder

What's a new pair of jaws cost and how quickly can you swap them?

If I made more jaws I'd just use 3/8" steel so it's more time than material cost. I did make a set of jaws to hold multiple size pex crimping inserts but I made the tips too thin and they bent after some use. When the need arises again I'll make a stronger set for the pex dies and then make some dies for different size wire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior