Sabre's Gen III, Phase 3: Winch

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
Inspired by folks like Monstero, I've been wanting to install a winch on the Gen III yet retain the OEM front bumper. I like the curved look of the stock version, have trimmed the bumper extensively to give plenty of clearance, and wanted to avoid adding unnecessary weight (and removing too much weight from my wallet). After lots of research, I settled on either a Superwinch Talon or a Comeup Seal; both have the waterproof construction that i was looking for as well as being compatible with synthetic line, although they both feature the "high in the middle" design that would make stealth mounting problematic.

Unfortunately, being a man of humble means, I couldn't justify the expense for a tool that would realistically see little use, so I just enjoyed the vehicle and kept my eye on the used market. I have a habit of scanning for something I want without any sense of urgency, then pouncing quickly when it comes up. You have to be patient, but....

A local truck dealership posted a Superwinch Talon 9.5i on Craigslist for a ridiculous price, less than half the best price I found online. I went over immediately and learned that it was pulled from a truck that a new small business had built, but that the company had gone bust and the truck had to be repossessed. The cable didn't appear to have ever been spooled out (it was still wound only hand-tight), the fairlead rollers were mint, the winch was mint, and the neoprene winch cover was mint. Also included were several brand-new adjustable hitches, pintle adapter, etc. I sold these on Craigslist and ended up paying only about 25% of the normal cost for the winch. Score one for the poor guy!

I unspooled the steel cable and sourced 90 feet of 3/8" synthetic line from a bulk wholesaler. I then pulled everything off the front of the Montero and started measuring. The first task was to relocate the two Fiamm horns and the outside air temperature sensor higher to get them out of the way and to cut off the center bumper support bracket.

29200576760_db2d267579_b.jpg

29455426726_5cbedf0388_b.jpg

In the picture above I'm about to cut off the standing seam of the front crossmember to get the winch as low as possible. I welded a strip of steel flat stock to the top of the crossmember to both reinforce where I cut the seam and to provide a platform of sorts for the winch mounting plate. I next added reinforcing plates to the two crush members which would serve as weld points for the winch cradle.

29381196082_85b7efedef_b.jpg

After a few trial fits, I found that the oil cooler line needed a small amount of relocation. I bent the nipple on the cooler, trimmed a gap in the front-facing seam of the crossmember that runs in front of the radiator, and added some abrasion-prevention sleeves made from larger diameter hose topped with neoprene sheet.

29381181732_a7ddbc484d_b.jpg

So here's how things looked when the truck was ready to have the winch mounting cradle attached.

28867493623_4bbfb3ba3e_b.jpg

Last edited:

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
The winch came with a mounting plate that was designed for a receiver hitch mount; the company that built the truck planned on being able to move the winch from front to back as needed. Since this plate was already drilled for the winch and had a roller fairlead mounted, I only needed to trim it a bit and weld on additional steel to form a cradle that fit between the front crush members of the Montero. Again, inspired by Monstero, I fabbed up a cradle.

29381192492_e451d8c4b5_b.jpg

28867489683_b096959d12_b.jpg

29489649035_ca73ec6a72_b.jpg

28864967574_b6a1e0dd06_b.jpg

In the last picture above you see the mounting cradle welded in place. Note that the outboard "wings" of the cradle are welded to the top of the crush members and that vertical plates have been welded to the front of the cradle, the front crossmember, and to the previously-placed reinforcing plates on the inboard sides of the crush members. In the pic below, you can see how a reinforcing plate was welded to the back of the front crossmember and the cradle welded to it with short lengths of square tubing. This was where I had run out of welding wire and had to switch to stick welding. I'm no welder, but have learned to do a decent enough job with MIG. Welding overhead in a confined space with welding rod was amusing...sort of. Hey, they ain't pretty but there's good penetration! You can also see the reinforcement I've added to the oil cooler line to prevent chafe. Overkill? Probably.

29381205822_103c50da0d_b.jpg

Now it's all mounted up. Note that I've clocked the freespool release lever 90 degrees to the front so that I'll be able to access it through the front of the bumper.

29489648055_a2a0f4e043_b.jpg

29489650995_2e8b069598_b.jpg

Rather than cut a big hole in the grille to allow the control cable to be taken on and off, for now I've just routed it behind the grille. The remote control switch lives in a bag tucked behind the driver's side headlight. When it's time to winch I just pop the hood a bit to let the coiled cable sneak through. If it bugs me I'll add a quick disconnect that's accessible from the front. Again, for the occasional use that the winch will see it's a simple and satisfactory solution.

Last edited:

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
After the mounting was complete I went to the electrical side of things. I installed a heavy duty solenoid to provide power to the winch. You can see it mounted to the inner wall of the fender on the driver's side.

29489654225_5538b01833_b.jpg

I can energize the solenoid from an illuminated switch, installed in a blank area to the left of the steering wheel. If something catastrophic happens, such as a stuck winch solenoid or a chafing through of the winch power lead, I can quickly de-energize the thing with a flick of the switch. The little red light is plenty bright, so that I'll never forget and leave the switch on.

28865066694_2efbed4a61_b.jpg

Now it only remained to trim the bumper and grille to fit. It took plenty of fiddling with the little grinder, but ended up coming together nicely I think. You can see that only a bit of the winch is exposed, which is actually less than I'd originally envisioned. I added a couple of little pieces of rubber trim to dress it up a little.

28864977184_684bc29cdf_b.jpg

Since Washington requires a front license plate, I decided to mount it in such a way to further disguise the winch. I like to be more in stealth mode than brag mode about the mods to the truck. I will definitely NEVER drive around with red shackles hanging off my recovery points! I fabbed up a couple of hinges, added some neoprene to the back of the license plate (to prevent rattling), and whipped up a little bungee doodad to keep the plate in place yet allow quick release for deploying the winch.

29381219922_b67bfef237_b.jpg

29489660045_e8a4e18d66_b.jpg

Since these pics were taken I installed 30 feet of tubular 1" nylon webbing as a sheath over the first wrap of winch line. This protects the line from road grit and grime that will inevitably be thrown up from the pavement. Yes, of course a hawse fairlead would be a bit less bulky than those rollers, but they came with the winch and thus represent a few more dollars saved. They're perfectly fine for synthetic line since they were brand spankin' new and will actually provide less wear on the line than a hawse would. All in all I'm happy with the installation. Thanks again to those who've inspired it!

Last edited:

alex9528

Observer
Well done Sabre and looks good too. I did mine years ago page 54 in pajero pics. Just use odyssey battery or similar type to handle all that power drain when winching.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior