"Safety" Thimble...yea right

chasespeed

Explorer
Opie... I just saw them(just got home from a long day).... great work... Maybe we could work on making some vids, and links for a sticky in this forum category.... or, whatever.... You know, get pretty specific with each part, wire rope, line, be it double braid, 3 strand, etc....

Chase

opie

Explorer
Opie... I just saw them(just got home from a long day).... great work... Maybe we could work on making some vids, and links for a sticky in this forum category.... or, whatever.... You know, get pretty specific with each part, wire rope, line, be it double braid, 3 strand, etc....

Chase

I could do that...

Double braid can be a little confusing unless youve got some to work on as you watch a tutorial. Its not a difficult splice, but the steps involved can become overwhelming. There are already quite a few vids on youtube of a double braid splice. Recovery ropes, not straps, will use a double braid eye splice, class 1.

3 strand is pretty easy and quick depending on what your using. The NER and Samson 3 strand climbing and rigging lines are twisted quite tight. The first couple tucks are pretty smooth, but the third and the 4th get a little tight. Is there much 3 strand in use among Expeditioners?

chasespeed

Explorer
I agree.... as far as us having 3 strand... heck... I dont even have any 3 strand... well, nothing big enough that I would use with my rig... I did have some kevlar mooring line, which was perfect.. but, got used on the beach often..... I retired it....

Chase

herm

Adventurer
i work in the oil field and am a cert. crane operator, also worked as a rigger in a theater.
i agree on the use of thimbles and shackles or the yellow hooks pictured earlier. many of the rigs use a similar hook on their tugger line for lifting equipment from the catwalk to the rigfloor. we use 30k lb nylon straps for different situations also. the only thing with a hook is the actual crane and it is oversize and has a spring gate with a pin.
I happened to get a 36k nylon core spanset with 1in chain lead for recovery, it is heavy but I could litterly hang my truck off of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier