Saguaro Lake Summer Sizzle - June 17

articulate

Expedition Leader
Completed: Summer Sizzle 2006
end_of_the_trail.jpg

It's official: this is going to be an annual event, the Summer Sizzle. What a blast.

This event is done: http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1594

Attendees:
  • Me and Brooke, Jeep Wrangler (TJ)
  • Aaron and Colette, Isuzu Trooper - datrupr
  • McVicker Crew, Snorkeled Disco - McVickoffroad
  • My dad, mom, Greg, Samantha, and Christy in the uber-cool Range Rover
  • KP and Scorpion Sting Stone, Jeep Wrangler (black, no snorkel...)

Most desert critters are nocturnal, and I can't call myself a desert rat unless I don't start my festivities until dark as well. That's why I set this up to start the trail about 5:00 pm, and drive out after dark. Plus we got to enjoy the fading sunlight and the wild colors on Four Peaks, Weavers Needle, and the Superstitions. Blessings, blessings, and blessings.

I was happy about these things:
  • Mcvicker crew showed up just before we started
  • Two buddies from "my band" came with guitars
  • We stayed until 10:00
  • Everyone was cool

Impressed with:
  • Everyone being cool about the late day start and night run
  • Aaron tackling some wicked lines in his Trooper
  • Plan worked without a hitch
  • McVickers brought their baby
  • My dad showed up ready to play on some hills

Special thanks to Wil for calling me and setting me straight about the hours for the area.
More special thanks to KP and Scorpion Sting Stone for the musical entertainment. Celebrating life through rock-n-roll...and a campfire...and travelling a dirt road.

Pics:
datrupr1.jpg

disco1.jpg

hill1.jpg

trail.jpg

rover3.jpg

weavers_jeep.jpg

disco_funk.jpg

I've got to save some for ol' JPFreek magazine....August 1st. I'll shamelessly post when it's out. :ylsmoke:

Thanks again for everything. I thought that was fantastic.

Mark

Last edited:

articulate

Expedition Leader
Hey moderator....

um CRAP. I was supposed to put this in the Completed Adventures section.

Kind mod, I beg you to move this to the appropriate section.

!Gracias!

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Jeeeezzzz Mark, I don't know if I should post up or not, cause this thread will be locked after it is moved, but I don't think the info will be lost. Great pics, and a great time. I know Colette had fun and we really enjoyed the live entertainment. I have to agree with all of the magnificent views we had on top of the ridges, and back lit perfectly by a gorgeous sunset. Too bad the first cove was a bit crowded, but the second one was nice as well. I have to say though, I was not overly impressed with the firecrackers, but at least the kid had the courtesy to shoot them out over the lake. Monty was mourning the loss of his Kong all the way home, but I think he is over it now. I know he had a blast swimming in the lake and chasing after Brook and Samantha while they were swimming. As far as an annual event goes, put me down for next year. I also think the wicked lines I took with the Trooper were not that tough, but from outside the truck they looked pretty tricky. Going down a couple of hills got Colette's pucker factor up fairly high, especially the last one going out at night. But a lot of that was my fault, as I started going down I picked the wrong line and I ended up saying something stupid out loud to her along the lines of "I really don't like the line I picked." That did not make her happy, but we all made it through unscathed and had a great time. Next time I will make sure the batteries in my GPS are good before I leave the house, and I will put new batteries in my camera so I can shoot a few pics also. I have to say though, I slept like a baby. We got home at about 12:30, and after unloading the truck I did not get to bed until well after 1:00. I did have nice dreams about the lake and four wheeling. Thanks again Mark. And next it is imperative that KP and especially the Scorpion Sting Stone come along to entertain us with not only their music, but the Scorpions very sharp humor. Oh, and by the way, all of the people food we gave Monty did in fact disagree with his bowels the next morning.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Yes he does. Mark has the gift of a great eye and steady hand. Brooke took a couple of those shots as well. I do love this one of his dad and his way cool Range Rover.

hill1.jpg

articulate

Expedition Leader
Thanks guys....I'm all embarrassed. Brooke did shoot some good shots. She snagged that one of the backs of the vehicles headed towards the lake.

One more "bump" to the top to see if we can get this moved to the right forum. Sorry for being an idiot...

Later,
Mark

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Looks like a great time Mark!

Next time we need pics of the late night music party!

Maybe next year I can join you for a little "Sizzle"..........!

I need some of that in my life!............:elkgrin:

.............:beer:

articulate

Expedition Leader
Ah man, yeah. you should have been there.

fire.jpg

Idid get some pictures of the boys playing the guitars while lit with the campfire. But that roll is still in my camera. I'll await a slaughtering for not using digital.

Now....if I could just get this moved to the completed forum, I wouldn't feel like an idiot.

I should audition to be a moderator so I can fix all my mistakes without looking like a hairy boob. :ylsmoke:

Mark

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
I moved the thread for you guys - and it is not locked.

seth_js said:
Man Mark, you take some kick ass pictures.

-Seth

I SECOND THAT!! (and Brooke too). Damn, these are great! That shot of dad climbing that wall is just awesome... with Weaver's on the horizon, damn. Sweet pic!

:jumping:

I wish that I could have made this one.

articulate

Expedition Leader
Woooo Hoooo!
Thanks for moving the thread, Mr. Taco.

BajaTaco said:
Oh yea, WHERE are those bikinis you were mentioning Mark? :)
Well, if you were there you would have seen them. I can't reward people for NOT coming...... :ylsmoke:

Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior