Sand Dunes NP and Humboldt Peak

Bergger

Explorer
We left home early Wednesday morning and arrived in the Sand Dunes N.P. around 0930. I love this place and if you have not been yet I highly recommend it. June is a better month to go, cooler temps and much more water running through Medano Creek, but June did not work for us this year. We set up camp along Medano Creek in the Preserve area and hardly saw another person the whole time at camp. We spent two days climbing the dunes and hanging out around the creek then left Friday morning for Humboldt Peak, a 14ner just north of the Sand Dunes. We drove over Medano Pass, up the Colony Lakes Road and set up camp at about 11,100 feet. Man it was nice and cool up there. Saturday morning we hit the trail and started to climb. It's a nice trail up to about 13,700 feet then you hit a boulder field. Unfortunately I could not lift my 100 lbs dog any more up the rocks and my wife decided to take him down. My 10 year old daughter and I continued up to the summit. I was so proud of her. It is her 2nd 14ner and she did all 8.5 miles without complaining at all. The elevation gain is about 3000 feet over 4 miles. She actually finished the summit stronger than I did. Any way we had a great time and here are some pictures. By the way this was the first time I towed our AT Chaser in a true off road setting and I could not have been more impressed with it's performance.

Sand Dunes in the distance
View attachment 21632

"Eat" Sand Dunes NP!
View attachment 21633

Medano Pass Road near the Dunes
View attachment 21634

Over Medano Pass
View attachment 21635

Camp at Humboldt Peak Trail Head, Broken Hand Peak in background
View attachment 21636

Humboldt Peak in background
View attachment 21637

Almost to the summit! Watch your step, that first ones a long one!
View attachment 21638

At the summit, Crestone Needle in background.
View attachment 21639

At the summit.
View attachment 21640

Last edited:

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Great pics! and love the GSDs...

Bergger said:
June is a better month to go, cooler temps and much more water running through Medano Creek
We were there in June and the biting flies and mozzies kept one constantly walking in circles and risking smoke inhalation to belay the tiny beasts. Mid 90sF in June was cooler (for us in PHX) but not cool enough to make a June vs. July change. Plus, in July you get more afternoon rains it seems to assist than the more drier month of June...

Doesn't matter though, I've been there in deep winter and summer and the place rocks.

I thought this year the sand road was very...well...without much sand actually, did you notice the same?

Bergger

Explorer
pskhaat said:
Great pics! and love the GSDs...

We were there in June and the biting flies and mozzies kept one constantly walking in circles and risking smoke inhalation to belay the tiny beasts. Mid 90sF in June was cooler (for us in PHX) but not cool enough to make a June vs. July change. Plus, in July you get more afternoon rains it seems to assist than the more drier month of June...

Doesn't matter though, I've been there in deep winter and summer and the place rocks.

I thought this year the sand road was very...well...without much sand actually, did you notice the same?

Sounds like the weather was very similar. We had 90's and probably 55-60 at night. We too had some issues with the flies but ended up getting a decent breeze to help keep them from getting too bad. Yeah the road seemed less sandy then last year. The creek crossings at the end of July are nothing like they are in early June. The deepest we ran into were probably
16" with most being less than that. Next time I think I'm going to grab a site up towards the top of Medano Pass. It's really nice up at the top.

Bergger

Explorer
durango_60 said:
Looks like a great trip, I'm probably going out there in two weeks so I may be PMing you for some info.

Certainly do. If you plan on staying there forget the campsite inside the park. Just a short distance up Medano Road you enter the Sand Dune Preserve and there are some really nice free sites, all with a fire ring and large bear box. If you plan on hiking the dunes with a dog either do it early like we did, 07-0900 hrs, or make sure they have some good booties. The sand gets really hot.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Nice job. Love that area and the Sangre de Cristos. Good for l'il miss, bagging another 14er. :clapsmile

Love seeing the Taco & AT in effect.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Bergger said:
The deepest we ran into were probably 16" with most being less than that.
First time I took that river was May/early June'ish ~1991 way before that ol' snorkel fad; I had the windshield latched to my FJ40s hood and crossed the river with no doors on. The (iced cold as I remember) water went over the hood, past the prone windshield and right into our laps; lots of it there was.

That ol' 2F charged right up the other side though before I shorted something out somewhere and had to wait for dry-out.

Good times at them' thar' dunes; no better place on earth for 3 little boys aged 5 and under to run through the stream and climb the sand hills.

KSJeep

Explorer
Been wanting to do Sand Dunes NP via Medeno pass for a while now, nice pics, a different veiw from the normal pics posted. Thanks

hattrik21

Adventurer
A buddy and I were out there last Sept but we plan to go back with more time to stay more than a night in the park.

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
Your 10 yr old daughter does 14'ers - you should be a very proud dad.:bowdown:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior