SAS info and parts thread

hows your track width compared to the rear sr axle?

One more question, is this axle as strong or stronger than that sr front axle you were kicking around in making back in the day on wire?

and final question, how did you like the rubicon transfer case. I'm debating if I will run it on my ax15 swapped g54bt. I'm almost half of me is thinking it may be a bit overkill as i dont plan on doing much rock crawling, more sand, and muddy nw hills.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
hows your track width compared to the rear sr axle?

One more question, is this axle as strong or stronger than that sr front axle you were kicking around in making back in the day on wire?

and final question, how did you like the rubicon transfer case. I'm debating if I will run it on my ax15 swapped g54bt. I'm almost half of me is thinking it may be a bit overkill as i dont plan on doing much rock crawling, more sand, and muddy nw hills.

It's slightly wider up front but not super noticable, i also have staggered wheel spacers for even more width up front. I'd say the SR front axle would have been stronger if it were built with RCV's like i did this D44. The 44 is an 8" vs he Mitsu 9.5" ring gear and the D44 is a cast center section which i don't think are as strong as stamped steel housings. That's why i trussed my D44, the D44 is plenty strong though, fully built this thing can handle a 40" tire. I still have the parts to make a Mitsu 9.5" front and I should.
I'd run the 4:1 behind the Ax-15, are you running a 2.72 case now?

I havent bought a trans yet, I can run the r150f or a ax15. I just have to I believe change the input shaft off the ax 15 to the toyota shaft. easy swap. I'll probably go for the jeep trans as I like the rubicon option for down the road. I think the toyota has a 2.68, not sure what the ax15 has

Toasty

Coming up on 20k miles on this setup and i can fully say now that it is AMAZING! I've now even gotten a chance to drive an equivalent Montero on IFS (37's and rebuilt IFS) side by side. I had forgotten how bad the IFS is on road when it's maxed out like that, I'm now 100% sure i did the right thing (for my uses). Even with some hard miles and some crazy wheeling it still drives fantastically and if one didn't know they could hop in and drive it thinking it came that way from the factory. Next up converting the rear to coilovers and correcting the geometry for 5" of lift!

PacS14

Adventurer
Congrats Toasty! This is a I wish/years into the future item for me, the Montero is as of now a full time toy so maybe in a few more years when I retire from the military I might try to go this route...again fuuuuture=might never happen, but it will all depend on my situation once I retire. Until then thank you for sharing this photos and info!

Toasty

Congrats Toasty! This is a I wish/years into the future item for me, the Montero is as of now a full time toy so maybe in a few more years when I retire from the military I might try to go this route...again fuuuuture=might never happen, but it will all depend on my situation once I retire. Until then thank you for sharing this photos and info!

You're welcome! So glad that so many people have gotten some enjoyment out of my project, it's been really fun. Hopefully my future endeavors live up to this ?.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles