Sawtooth Unlimited - Off Road Pop Top Camper Trailer

stomperxj

Explorer
Well sometimes my stupidity knows no bounds. I got my new rivet gun in today. Tested it out and it works flawlessly. Decided to compare the guts with the Harbor Freight unit. Very similar functionality and parts count. Thought that maybe the jaws in the HF were the wrong ones and maybe I had lost the spares. Went online and read the manual to look up part numbers and then realized these style rivet guns are adjustable. Went back out to the shop, adjusted the jaws and the HF works like new. I guess it's not getting smashed after all :p :) (y)

ITTOG

Well sometimes my stupidity knows no bounds. I got my new rivet gun in today. Tested it out and it works flawlessly. Decided to compare the guts with the Harbor Freight unit. Very similar functionality and parts count. Thought that maybe the jaws in the HF were the wrong ones and maybe I had lost the spares. Went online and read the manual to look up part numbers and then realized these style rivet guns are adjustable. Went back out to the shop, adjusted the jaws and the HF works like new. I guess it's not getting smashed after all :) (y)
LOL. Sorry. Unfortunately you aren't the only one. We all have those moments.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

stomperxj

Explorer
Small update. Got the counter/front shelf glued and riveted. I mention in the video that the HF gun got fixed but it ended up jamming again. More adjustment needed I think. Left wall is only mocked up in this pic-

sm-0542.jpgsm-0543.jpg

Furaites

Well, I gotta watch the videos next, but this build is trueLy amazing and extremely well documented. I want to build composite panels up where I am too, but it has been a huge pain in my butt to even try to find someone willing to sell me a decent FRP skin and not filon.

Are you using rivets to support your shelving?

stomperxj

Explorer
Well, I gotta watch the videos next, but this build is trueLy amazing and extremely well documented. I want to build composite panels up where I am too, but it has been a huge pain in my butt to even try to find someone willing to sell me a decent FRP skin and not filon.

This skin is Vetroresina out of South Carolina. The only problem with ordering from them is you have to order a full 200ft roll unless you are within driving distance of them. Yes I am using 18ga formed angles and 3/16 aluminum rivets to attach everything.

Slick little trailer!
Thanks!! (y)

Furaites

Thanks for the quick reply Boss, gonna keep watching and waiting. At this point, I am so desperate for decent skin, I will order the 200FT.

Furaites

Wow, I am already cringing at the thought of shipping to Newfoundland Canada. Though most everything is in the thousands to ship here

ITTOG

What is wrong with Filon?

high-and-dry

Okay, first some back ground on me. I saw the OG sawtooth thread years ago and liked its shape, but I was in love with conquer uev 490. I designed but never built a poor mans knock off years ago in tnttt.com but have revisited it recently. my tnttt.com screen name is saltydawg.

I was not happy with the design, mostly sizing it to my tacoma and over all shape, so digging thru google images of off road trailers I stumbled back on to the og sawtooth. I decided to build a sawtooth xxl ( i will not use that name just being funny ), measuring 12 foot long, 60 high, and probably 66 wide. It will have a front slide out kitchen, a bed that slides out the front like a pop up trailer, and a side pop top with a side door in the rear. The idea is it can be used like a tear drop, open the door "walk" in and lay down. Or for longer stays I can slide the bed forward, pop the top and have standing room and floor space. The reason for the side pop top is no need to have standing room where the couch is, and it will only do the flat part of the roof so no standing on the bed I am going to put the couch on the drivers side rear end to have a place to sit inside that can be made in to a short bed if needed.

So my design is a sawtooh xl with UEV490 features and a bigger size. I was planning on doing composite panels as well. All my dimensions where just guesses and many many drawings ( like 15 of em ) to get the scale right.
Funny thing is is I did not know about the sawtooth unlimited until just now. Looks great, and now I have to go watch lots of you tube videos on your build.

good luck, great build

edit first post but joined here in 2013

stomperxj

Explorer
Okay, first some back ground on me. I saw the OG sawtooth thread years ago and liked its shape, but I was in love with conquer uev 490. I designed but never built a poor mans knock off years ago in tnttt.com but have revisited it recently. my tnttt.com screen name is saltydawg.

I was not happy with the design, mostly sizing it to my tacoma and over all shape, so digging thru google images of off road trailers I stumbled back on to the og sawtooth. I decided to build a sawtooth xxl ( i will not use that name just being funny ), measuring 12 foot long, 60 high, and probably 66 wide. It will have a front slide out kitchen, a bed that slides out the front like a pop up trailer, and a side pop top with a side door in the rear. The idea is it can be used like a tear drop, open the door "walk" in and lay down. Or for longer stays I can slide the bed forward, pop the top and have standing room and floor space. The reason for the side pop top is no need to have standing room where the couch is, and it will only do the flat part of the roof so no standing on the bed I am going to put the couch on the drivers side rear end to have a place to sit inside that can be made in to a short bed if needed.

So my design is a sawtooh xl with UEV490 features and a bigger size. I was planning on doing composite panels as well. All my dimensions where just guesses and many many drawings ( like 15 of em ) to get the scale right.
Funny thing is is I did not know about the sawtooth unlimited until just now. Looks great, and now I have to go watch lots of you tube videos on your build.

good luck, great build

edit first post but joined here in 2013

Thanks Scott. Glad you like my work :) I took a look at your thread over on tnttt. Looks like a good concept. I like your train of thought on the new one too. Let me know if you have any questions about my build. Always happy to help or answer if I can. Good to have you here (y)(y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne