Sawtooth Unlimited - Off Road Pop Top Camper Trailer

stomperxj

Explorer
Thanks for the positive thoughts @tlin :)

So I'm still alive and I have actually done something to the trailer recently. I know its a bit of a shock :D

Got the last two pieces of aluminum trim glued on, taped off some lines for where the Raptor liner is going and I got the switch panel installed and wired up. If you haven't heard of Send Cut Send yet it's an amazing service. I've been using them a lot lately for my RC business. Anyway... no video but here's some pics. Hoping to spray Raptor next weekend. Then it's time to try and get it titled and registered.

Attachments

• PXL_20220625_015710130.jpg
    PXL_20220625_015710130.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 97
  • PXL_20220625_030608050.jpg
    PXL_20220625_030608050.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 103
  • PXL_20220625_030618066.jpg
    PXL_20220625_030618066.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 105
  • PXL_20220705_050810410.jpg
    PXL_20220705_050810410.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 102
  • PXL_20220709_200004590.jpg
    PXL_20220709_200004590.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 105
  • PXL_20220711_033034087.jpg
    PXL_20220711_033034087.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 98

opp1

I appreciate your compassion slowing down so I don't look so bad on mine. Glad to see you're inching along. It seems like the last few hours of work takes forever

stomperxj

Explorer
I appreciate your compassion slowing down so I don't look so bad on mine. Glad to see you're inching along. It seems like the last few hours of work takes forever

Yes the last 15% of this trailer is taking way longer than anything.

New quick video update from earlier today. Sprayed some Raptor! Glad that is done finally

slimtwo

Adventurer
Nice job on the trailer. I am in the same position with my trailer build as you. I am really close to the finish line now, however, the last few details seem to be taking so long, and the visible progress, very little. I did get down to the DMV though, and get the trailer registered. It went very smoothly. I showed them my receipts, they took a brief look at the trailer, assigned a vin#, and then registered it and gave me a plate. I am finishing the compartment doors now, then I have to finish the wiring. Our club is scheduled to go out the weekend of Aug 20, and it needs to be ready. Under the gun! Good luck with the rest of your build!

Slimtwo

opp1

good to see you're finally out and about with it. I personally believe the future for anybody that wants a trailer that going to last a few Generations this is the way to go. Glass foam. For what we see coming into the shops now . That the manufacturers are making . they have came out saying made to last last three to five years with out repairs.

stomperxj

Explorer
I may have missed it in the video, have you weighed it yet? How far off was the weight from your original number crunching?

You didn't miss it. I haven't made it to a scale yet but that is on the to do list. Surprisingly we don't have any easily accessible scales in the immediate area other than recycling centers. Need to make some calls.

good to see you're finally out and about with it. I personally believe the future for anybody that wants a trailer that going to last a few Generations this is the way to go. Glass foam. For what we see coming into the shops now . That the manufacturers are making . they have came out saying made to last last three to five years with out repairs.

Thanks. I agree. I believe this trailer will last a lifetime.

650Thumper

Just found this thread and all I can say is: WOW, great job dude! and thanks so much for the detailed documentation. This build will serve at a big inspiration for my flatbed truck camper build.

Few questions: what density of XPS foam did you use? Do you feel that the rivets were necessary for the structural integrity, or was it more for peace of mind?

stomperxj

Explorer
Just found this thread and all I can say is: WOW, great job dude! and thanks so much for the detailed documentation. This build will serve at a big inspiration for my flatbed truck camper build.

Few questions: what density of XPS foam did you use? Do you feel that the rivets were necessary for the structural integrity, or was it more for peace of mind?

Thanks for the kind comments. I bought standard XPS from a building supply store which I think is 25psi compressive strength. I think I went overkill on the rivets. I used probably 1200 rivets in the whole build :D It was a combo of piece of mind and I think it added a fair amount of strength to those corner joints too. Plus they held everything in place while the adhesive cured.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I'm still not done with it. I have actually started on the pop top roof mold positive finally :)

\1680107827725.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94