Scepter Can ordering??

slooowr6

Explorer
It's interesting, Scepter water can only has one handle. The one on that site has 3 handles just like the fuel tank.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
westernhunter said:
Is there something wrong with putting fuel in the water can if it is CLEARLY marked?
I just got my MWC from BQ and I have to say I think it is tougher than my old metal US jerry cans ever were.

The fuel cans have a rubber gasket on the lid. I'm pretty sure the water cans would leak under pressure from fuel expansion on hot days.

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
no way, don't use the water cans for fuel. the fuel cans have a multi-ribbed mouth to really seal against the rubber and vent/expansion, etc.
the water cans don't have the proper...anything! for fuel.

Remember it's the vapor that ignites, not the fuel. The water cans would let a lot of vapor out...

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Life_in_4Lo said:
no way, don't use the water cans for fuel. the fuel cans have a multi-ribbed mouth to really seal against the rubber and vent/expansion, etc.
the water cans don't have the proper...anything! for fuel.

Remember it's the vapor that ignites, not the fuel. The water cans would let a lot of vapor out...

In addition to the seal, they don't have the vent system that the MFC's have either.

I've never heard a conclusive answer as to the actual plastic used in the two cans while they might be the same grade (might not too) the MWC's are a thinner plastic than the MFC.

cruisertoy

Explorer
I've searched a lot for info on the plastic and can not come up with a conclusion on what the difference if any is between the water and fuel cans.

A few weeks ago a rotated my fuel storage and noticed that when I first tip the scepter fuel can up, a little gas comes out the breather.(far less than my two nato cans) From the design I figured the fuel was in the breather tube when the can was full and had no where else to go but out the breather cap on the outside. I then ran several water can tests and could not get a drop of water to come out of the water lid breather while emptying the can. I don't think the fuel can breather is any better than the water can.

The sealing issue is the major problem, but could be worked around it needed.

The specs I have read show that the fuel can is 5.8lbs and the water can is 5lbs. I looked up the wall thickness the military spec'd and found the water and fuel cans had the same thickness +-.

Like anything, when you modify something from it's original design, you better be darn sure you know what your doing.

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
cruisertoy said:
I've searched a lot for info on the plastic and can not come up with a conclusion on what the difference if any is between the water and fuel cans.

A few weeks ago a rotated my fuel storage and noticed that when I first tip the scepter fuel can up, a little gas comes out the breather.(far less than my two nato cans) From the design I figured the fuel was in the breather tube when the can was full and had no where else to go but out the breather cap on the outside. I then ran several water can tests and could not get a drop of water to come out of the water lid breather while emptying the can. I don't think the fuel can breather is any better than the water can.

The sealing issue is the major problem, but could be worked around it needed.

The specs I have read show that the fuel can is 5.8lbs and the water can is 5lbs. I looked up the wall thickness the military spec'd and found the water and fuel cans had the same thickness +-.

Like anything, when you modify something from it's original design, you better be darn sure you know what your doing.

I have both and cannot see how you came to this conclusion.

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
I have the brown MWC, blue MWC, and the orange MFC

There is a major difference between the MWC and the MFC - specifically the cap and breather.

Photog

Explorer
ttora4runner said:
Can they be laid flat on a roof rack? What about the Wedco cans how do they compare?

I have been using my MFC on its side, for the last 4 weeks. Hot, cold, high & low elevations. No leaks. When it was hot, the MFC was very bloated; still no leaks.

The caps and seals on the water and fuel cans have completely different designs. The fuel can seals much better, and has a some redundancy built in. The water can has a typical tapered seal formed into the the cap and can body.

My fuel can has three handles, and the water can only has one handle. The Trail Duty photo shows three handles per can, and all the caps are fuel-type caps. Probably just the wrong photo, or they don't have a MWC photo, or, or.......

IMG_0324.jpg

IV8E3048.jpg

Last edited:

cruisertoy

Explorer
Life_in_4Lo said:
I have both and cannot see how you came to this conclusion.

Which conclusion are we talking about? The water cans did not leak a drop. I emptied 4 out of 5 of the water cans that I have full of water at all times. I did not time them to see if they emptied slower than the MFCs. I assume they were a little slower. They were at least as fast as my 2 nato cans. I emptied 4 scepter gas cans and each one lost a little gas out the breather hole in the filler. After the first two did it, I tightened the filler onto the can with a oil strap but still had the small amount of blowby. Once the blowby happened, all 4 cans emptied the rest of the way without further leak.

As of right now it is pointless to modify anything as you can still get as many mfc's as you want. Yes, they cost more than they were last year and you have to wait a week for shipping out of Canada, but you can still get them. I just picked up 2 new MFC's shipped from dstactical.com for about $135us. You can pick up brand new MWC water cans for $16 including shipping any day of the week. These same cans are selling for $25 plus shipping on ebay right now. At some point cost might make retrofitting water cans feasable with the addition of a PE welded in lip on the can and a modified cap with viton gasket. We modify our rigs all the time in far more dangerous ways. The standard 5 gallon HDPE gas can from your local boat shop/home depot that people put of the back of thier boats/trailers... have no seal, 1/3 thinner walls and far more potential for problems. Let alone compared to the leaks from my two nato cans or two older round holed cans with new seals in them.

I would still love to find the documentation on the materials used in the fuel cans.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I have both Scepter and Wedco fuel cans. Some of the negatives of the steel Wedcos is the noise and how the paint is easily removed/worn off in field use.

Has anyone tried or considered having a new (before first use) steel Wedco sprayed with a 'Rhino Lining' type product to prevent damage and make the cans last longer? As long as they didn't get too wide for your can carrier it might be a nice option. I don't think they would be able to 'line' the top/cap area, but that's the part of the can that doesn't get banged around.

Thoughts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94