Scepter Jerry can question

SameGuy

Observer
Ugh, you have to have a $30 wrench to open a $50-90 dollar fuel can, then add a $10 gasket so it doesn't leak? I was under the impression these fuel cans were the best ones you could get. They sound like the ones that need the most accessories to be useful. Are they made by Land Rover? I may just go with the No Spill.
41SwFNIka7L._AC_US218_.jpg

Last edited:
No you don't need a wrench. Using a wrench is usually what breaks the plastic flange inside the cap. Then you have leaks. The only reason you need a gasket is if the cans were originally diesel cans. Different types of materials for the seal were used. I do however love the No Spill cans around the house. With both of us having arthritis in our hands and wrist using those crappy CARB spouts ends up with more spilled fuel than in the tanks.

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
I use the strap wrench just to get them snug, especially the water cans, as they tend to leak around the threads if they're tipped on the side.

The main reason I use them is that I have can holders off of MRAPs that they fit and nothing else will.

No the gas/fuel cans use a different size and type of cap than the water cans.

The water cans have a tapered rim on the neck that matches up with a taper inside the cap. If you have can that leak inspect the rim of the neck and inside the cap for deformed or damaged taper. You can use sandpaper to remove nicks and notches.

SameGuy

Observer
No you don't need a wrench. Using a wrench is usually what breaks the plastic flange inside the cap. Then you have leaks. The only reason you need a gasket is if the cans were originally diesel cans. Different types of materials for the seal were used. I do however love the No Spill cans around the house. With both of us having arthritis in our hands and wrist using those crappy CARB spouts ends up with more spilled fuel than in the tanks.
Do you think the no spill cans are robust enough for heavy off-road use? We are going to the Maze district this fall and will have to bring extra fuel. Don’t want a blown seam or leaks out there and wind up stranded.

No I would not recommend the No Spill cans for off-road use. These are more like the typical utility cans with a special easier to use spout. Instead of looking at overpriced hard to get Scepter cans why not look at getting some genuine NATO metal cans. Yes they are heavier but much easier to find and cheaper.

One of the better sources for genuine Wavian made NATO cans:
http://www.roverparts.com/nxt/?Category=ACC.+-++OFF-ROAD&Subcategory=Jerry+Cans

There are other sources out there for NATO type cans but most are overseas knock offs.

SameGuy

Observer
No I would not recommend the No Spill cans for off-road use. These are more like the typical utility cans with a special easier to use spout. Instead of looking at overpriced hard to get Scepter cans why not look at getting some genuine NATO metal cans. Yes they are heavier but much easier to find and cheaper.

One of the better sources for genuine Wavian made NATO cans:
http://www.roverparts.com/nxt/?Category=ACC.+-++OFF-ROAD&Subcategory=Jerry+Cans

There are other sources out there for NATO type cans but most are overseas knock offs.
Thanks for the link, I hadn’t thought about using the metal ones, that looks like a good option.

RagnarD

Adventurer
You dont need the wrench to tighten, you need it to open after they get some pressure build up. I agree with previous statements that you dont want to over tighten. Never had a leak when just hand tight. Viton gaskers are for gas but you can switch to diesel gaskets for cheap if you want. The cap retainers for gas should be red and yellow for diesel. Some have tan/OD retainers.

Responding to PMs now.

JPaul

Observer
I picked up the 4 pack of the metal cans from Atlantic British (the prior link), they are genuine Wavian cans and are really well made. Best price for a known manufacture instead of running the risk of getting the chinese made garbage all over the place on ebay and even Amazon.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

SameGuy

Observer
After spending WAY too much time researching where to get and refit Scepter cans the other night I bit the bullet and ordered 4 cans from Atlantic British.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles