Scepter water can leaking

outdoornate65

Adventurer
I've got two Scepter 20L water jugs that ride on top of one of the Aluminess boxes on our rig.
They are mounted in a FrontRunner tray that has the cans positioned horizontally so the mouths of the jugs are not upright.

No matter how hard I try, I cannot tighten the tops enough to prevent leaking.

I know there is a "wrench" available for the jugs but I'm just wondering if it will stop the leaking or should I be looking for some form of gasket to create a better seal?

Appreciate your thoughts,

Nate

Over tightening will cause leaking. The cap and neck of the can have a tapered interface seal. Over tightening will cause the tapered lip inside the cap to crack. Inspect the inside the cap and see if the tapered lip is crack. Never use any type of wrench to tighten cap. The wrench you see listed is meant for loosening only.

outdoornate65

Adventurer
Over tightening will cause leaking. The cap and neck of the can have a tapered interface seal. Over tightening will cause the tapered lip inside the cap to crack. Inspect the inside the cap and see if the tapered lip is crack. Never use any type of wrench to tighten cap. The wrench you see listed is meant for loosening only.
Thanks....I'll take a look and see if that's the culprit.

pluton

Adventurer
I had a scepter 10L can that leaked. Even when carried right-side-up along rough roads, it'd leak from around the edge of the cap, and wet the car floor. Turned out the screw top was warped. I could clearly see that it was out of round once I took it all the way off and stared straight at it. New caps are pretty cheap. Hope this is the easy solution!

shade

I've got two Scepter 20L water jugs ...
Which models?

I can't speak to their "consumer" offerings, but if they're Military Water Canisters, you should be able to hand tighten them to the point of not leaking. If the threads aren't buggered, you may be able to replace the seal or cap to stop the leak.

I've never needed a wrench to open an MWC, but Military Fuel Canisters (MFCs) often require a wrench due to the contents pressurizing the container.

outdoornate65

Adventurer
Which models?

I can't speak to their "consumer" offerings, but if they're Military Water Canisters, you should be able to hand tighten them to the point of not leaking. If the threads aren't buggered, you may be able to replace the seal or cap to stop the leak.

I've never needed a wrench to open an MWC, but Military Fuel Canisters (MFCs) often require a wrench due to the contents pressurizing the container.
I'm not sure what model they are.....believe they are the "military" model. Tan, 20L. I bought them from Lexington Container.

I'll check the threads and replace the caps as needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke