Scepter water can pump?

Imnosaint

Adventurer
Our last camp experience got me to wonder, though. If you've ever owned an older bug or Porsche, you know that the windshield washer system isn't powered by a pump but rather by the air pressure from the spare tire. In our camp the kitchen set-up was adjacent our vehicle, and of course, right there at my disposal was 20 lbs of air pressure from the DS rear tire.

So, what if I pressurized a water container from that source...

Dirtytires

Explorer
Our last camp experience got me to wonder, though. If you've ever owned an older bug or Porsche, you know that the windshield washer system isn't powered by a pump but rather by the air pressure from the spare tire. In our camp the kitchen set-up was adjacent our vehicle, and of course, right there at my disposal was 20 lbs of air pressure from the DS rear tire.

So, what if I pressurized a water container from that source...

What happens when you need the tire? It will be flat!! There are portable air cans that can be purchased for a song and dance.

barlowrs

Explorer
Amazing ideas here.

Maybe I oversimplified it, but as Theksmith pointed out about using a sprayer, I picked up a heavy-duty, two-gallon garden sprayer at Lowe's, replaced the hose with food-grade tubing and stuck a nozzle from an old solar shower on the end.

View attachment 99065

Ten feet of hose, pressurized, gave us enough volume and pressure for a long shower (by camp standards) and for kitchen duty. Under $35.

There is a weed sprayer at Home depot that screws directly onto the scepter, so you do not have to carry a seperate randome container.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
From my experience with setting up group camp kitchens - water usage goes up considerably with any pressurized water system. Manually pumped water systems inherently conserve water by making the user "work" for it...

The same goes for showers also - manually lifted water bags result in a lot less water usage compared to free flowing systems.

I know of several very experienced sailors who still only go with manual pumps on their own boats for these reasons.

Something to consider.

Imnosaint

Adventurer
What happens when you need the tire? It will be flat!! There are portable air cans that can be purchased for a song and dance.

Compressor on board. As for the tanks or cans, trying to maximize use of space. Why carry a tank when I have five pressurized containers?

barlowrs

Explorer
Got a brand for that sprayer. That would be a great solution,

Here is the original thread. I didnt want to take credit for it...it works VERY well though:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/59357-Tyler-s-Shower-Build

attachment.php

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
I just got this to fit on one of my scepter water can...
I dont know if it has been mentioned but this thing is stout just like the scepter can....
I bought one with the mentality that it was going to brake or the pump was going to bust..
WRONG !!
I dont see it braking any time soon but only real field testing and time will tell....

Where did you guys buy the blue hose at ? HD? got a part number ?

Great little mod..

barlowrs

Explorer
I just got this to fit on one of my scepter water can...
I dont know if it has been mentioned but this thing is stout just like the scepter can....
I bought one with the mentality that it was going to brake or the pump was going to bust..
WRONG !!
I dont see it braking any time soon but only real field testing and time will tell....

Where did you guys buy the blue hose at ? HD? got a part number ?

Great little mod..

I personally just left the hose that was on it there. Cut off the weed sprayer and added a $3.99 kitchen sink sprayer...works well!

roberto

Adventurer
I have two of these strong aluminum military fuel/ water can tripod stands which straps the can in tilted upright position. Can buy them all day long on ebay and surplus stores for $30 and very light? Just throwing it out there.

R5e915cabcc76fc32160aec52fe1647f3.jpg

TheAlmightySam

Adventurer
I've posted my solution in other threads before, but it seems germane to the discussion here as well:

Spare cap mit air fittings and hose...

...plus OBA regulated to 10-20 PSI...

...equals awesomeness.

austintaco

Explorer
Thread revival!
I went looking for this sprayer and found out it was discontinued, but there is a newer model, the 430-2g. I found it on Amazon so I went for it, and I am hoping that the top is the same as the older version. This one is made by Solo. You can order the parts separately, but that get's pricey. If it doesn't fit, I'll kindly ship it back. Home depot had this model, but they no longer carry it either. If the newer version works, I will post up.

This newer sprayer model worked as well. I used a kitchen sink sprayer on the end and did about 25 pumps. It works, but it could use more pressure. Any idea what PSI a Scepter can can take? If we put an in line gauge on the hose, we could find the sweet spot and also safe spot for pressure. Next project.

Last edited:

Camelfilter

Explorer
Thread revival!
I went looking for this sprayer and found out it was discontinued, but there is a newer model, the 430-2g. I found it on Amazon so I went for it, and I am hoping that the top is the same as the older version. This one is made by Solo. You can order the parts separately, but that get's pricey. If it doesn't fit, I'll kindly ship it back. Home depot had this model, but they no longer carry it either. If the newer version works, I will post up.

This newer sprayer model worked as well. I used a kitchen sink sprayer on the end and did about 25 pumps. It works, but it could use more pressure. Any idea what PSI a Scepter can can take? If we put an in line gauge on the hose, we could find the sweet spot and also safe spot for pressure. Next project.

Thanks for the revival & followup. I might have to get one of those. Looks like Solo sells a gauge to fit the 430-2G (amongst others), not sure if it would go on the tank or on the pump somewheres though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94