School me on Subaru's

jjstahl3

Explorer
Just went through the wettest winter in Portland and its time to get a Subaru as everyone else here has one - looking for some info on good better best years and what to look for

Happykamper

Explorer
Love Portland :). If you talk to Subaru owners ....there is no such thing as a bad Subaru !!! I tend to agree ! I personally like the 2007-2008 forester PEZ. They drive great handle great have tons of room. Are comfortable and get very good mpg. Subarus are built very well in general and last on the scale of Toyotas . They have a bit of road noise. The outback is better then the forester in that respect. But I love the Forester. I recently bought a Crosstrek for my nephew. It's a 2015 and I really really really like it too!! Very fun.
Get a Subaru there is a reason they are king of the hills in snow / ski areas .

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Love Portland :). If you talk to Subaru owners ....there is no such thing as a bad Subaru !!! I tend to agree ! I personally like the 2007-2008 forester PEZ. They drive great handle great have tons of room. Are comfortable and get very good mpg. Subarus are built very well in general and last on the scale of Toyotas . They have a bit of road noise. The outback is better then the forester in that respect. But I love the Forester. I recently bought a Crosstrek for my nephew. It's a 2015 and I really really really like it too!! Very fun.
Get a Subaru there is a reason they are king of the hills in snow / ski areas .

The new foresters have thicker glass for reduced noise. I can't compare it to an outback but it's definitely quieter than my '16 Tacoma work truck.(no surprise there I guess)

ADVSubaru

Observer
What is your budget?

Avoid 2012-2013 models with the FB20 as many have issues with oil consumption. I personally have an affinity toward the 2004 Subaru Outback LL Bean Edition. It has an LSD, tons of cargo room, a nice interior, and coupled with an H6 so it has some grunt. Put some winter tires on it and you will have an unstoppable Japanese tank.

The older EJ25 motors are fairly bulletproof. Just make sure there is oil in the motor and keep up on recommended maintenance and you should be good for a long time. Earlier EJ25's had issues eating head gaskets (especially true for 2001 and older DOHC motors). As for the H6 (6 cylinder) models, I don't have any recommendations as to what to look out for outside of what you normally would on any other motor.

The drivetrain in Subaru's are fairly bulletproof. The R160 (rear differential found in a Subaru outside the WRX STI) has been around forever and you will rarely have issues outside of leaking axle seals, which is an easy fix for shops. Carrier bearing in the driveshaft can go out on higher mileage rigs and is non serviceable, but you can easily source a replacement from a wrecker for pretty cheap. Subaru's work well because they are simplistic in design and parts are plenty.

Both manual and automatic transmissions will not a be problem.

Common issues (on higher mileage vehicles) in my experience to look out for are worn bushings, especially on the steering rack and front control arms. Leaking (internally or externally) head gaskets. Check the oil cap for sludge or crawl underneath where the head meets the block and look for oil/coolant. Make sure the timing belt, water pump, tensioners and pulleys are replaced every 105k miles. If you are opting for a manual transmission, be sure to do tight figure 8's in a parking lot at full lock. If you hear or feel clunking, the front differential is toasted and walk away. Also check thoroughly for rust as they typically see a ton of snow.

Hope this helps.

sharkoverland

Observer
I agree theirs no such thing as a bad Subaru. I own a 06 outback and 99 forester both have the EJ25 pretty strong motors. They both do great off road and hauling camping gear with the family. I personalty like the forester XT. Subaru's are great vehicle for the people in mind for decent mpg, capability, reliability and usually want break the bank. Good luck

fike

Adventurer
Subaru's manual transmissions are always 50% to 50% front to rear power split. For this reason they are superior in snow and offroad. I think this is true for most years. Unfortunately, getting a manual trans generally consigns you to an economy version. Nonetheless, if you want the best offroad and inclement performance, look for a manual.

I have a new Forester Turbo CVT. It is powerful. It is rugged. It's slip-and-grip is faster than most, but it isn't always-on 50/50 power ratio. I have found that it can do some light rock crawling...seriously. You can get full skid plates for it. Tire options are always a bit limited unless you get a smaller wheel.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I'm 6'4" and fit quite nicely in the 2017 XLT 2.5 premium Forester I drove.
Waay better road noise suppression,power,handling,ride etc than our 2005 Pilot. The quick ratio electric steering to a bit of getting used to but nice and tight.
Seats are decent but I could have used longer seat bottoms.
My friend's got a dealership so it's nice going for a ride with him. No salesguy. I'm hoping for another updating whenever our Pilot dies which is unlikely soon.
Great product.

xbombtek

Observer
I'm also 6'4" and a bit wider than I'd prefer and love, love, love my wife's 16 Outback. Headroom, legroom, and shoulder space are fantastic.

I'm a bit dissatisfied with the road noise and rough pavement jouncing, but overall it's a fantastic car. We live at just over 7,000 ft and get considerable snow in the winters. The AWD handles it easily. Blowing or deep snow confuses the iSight (sp), but when it's off it's not an issue. Agree with above, seat bottoms could be longer, but I'm super comfortable in it after long drives.

If you have the ability, I'd say drive one or two and see how you fit. But, performance-wise, it's a great vehicle and serves a lot of the same uses my TJ did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior